3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: off the shelf vs off a rest  (Read 1199 times)

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: off the shelf vs off a rest
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Very interesting thread. I have had a very hard time getting my Dan Quillian Patriot recurve tuned to shoot well. It shoots very hard, but I have had a difficult time getting consistent with it. I am going to try the elevated rest...never occurred to me that that might help. thanks.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
My friend just put an elevated rest on a Quillian Patriot and saw improved arrow flight. Now he can shoot vanes as well.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
I like the bear wether rest as i like to use vanes but even without the vanes most bows will tune wat easyer with an elevated rest
the stalker lited out

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
I've always used an elevated rest. Used the old Hoyt flipper back when it was available, now use the Hoyt Super   and am currently trying the Hunter style   and like it also.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Admittedly, I have not tried the rests. I get good flight off of the shelf, so if it isn' t broke I won' t try to fix it. Could change my mind, but at hunting distance with feathers I haven' t had issues. I treat my feathers, so I don' t need vanes if the weather is wet. Not saying I never will try a rest, but I am satisfied off the shelf.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
After reading this thread I went to some of the sponsors pages and looked at the rests.  I would like to try one.  I've always shot off the shelf.  I was thinking of starting with the Neet pro-rest.  My concern is how do you silence them for hunting?  Seems the metal arms and carbon arrows would make noise when drawing the bow.  Also, where do you get the plunger?  I didn't see them for sale anywhere.
Thanks

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
I've had real good luck with the springy rest made by Martin archery. Your bow does need to have a plunger bushing to use this rest though.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
I find the old hoyt flipper rest much more accurate than the shelf. All the trad shoots say you have to shoot off of the shelf,go figure.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
it's personal preference as both the shelf and elevated rest get the job done.  kinda the same for flemish and endless bowstrings.

if yer an "instinctive" shooter, getting the arrow down as close to yer bowhand as possible is a benefit, imho.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Flingblade:
After reading this thread I went to some of the sponsors pages and looked at the rests.  I would like to try one.  I've always shot off the shelf.  I was thinking of starting with the Neet pro-rest.  My concern is how do you silence them for hunting?  Seems the metal arms and carbon arrows would make noise when drawing the bow.  Also, where do you get the plunger?  I didn't see them for sale anywhere.
Thanks
A little moleskin should take care of the noise. But if your bow is tapped for a plunger, I'd go that route. I don't know of any sponsors who sell long ones (which is what most bows call for) so you may want to check other online retailers. The inexpensive ones from Cavalier or Cartel work well.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
beware of adjustable pressure "plungers" (or "berger buttons" as they were called in the 60's), as their functionality is totally dependent on the internal spring working silky smooth.  this could present a problem in a hunting environment venue.  instead, i'd opt to use a bolt of the correct thread size to the tapped bushing and use a glued leather dot or teflon tape for the pressure point.  it'll still be centershot adjustable for arrow tuning.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
I just lift the shelf material about a 1/4 of an inch, but only half the width of the shelf (apraximately the width of my 2219 or wood arrows).  I do this to gain clearance for my 4 fletched arrows as well as clearance from a heavy glove during cold weather.
Also note: A lot of bows are cut to center or past center at the shelf, so if you move up the sight window with some elevated devise, keep in mind your windage may have changed based on the make of the bow. Mike

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Also putting the arrow closer to your hand does not improve instintive shooting, actually putting it closer to your eye would improve instinctive shooting. A bow with a elevated rest and a plunger makes tuning an arrow to the bow way easier also. I shoot both but am leaning more towards putting an elevated rest on all my bows as I definitely shoot better with one. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Champion 11 rest with a plunger on an ilf rig is hard to beat and I would never worry about it coming off, hell takes 1/2 hour to pry it off and clean the adhesive up.Shawn
Shawn

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Berger buttons and their offspring have been around for a long time. Just a bit of maintenance now and then and they function well! Tuning can be done to near perfection.......That's why target guys have gone that route for years!! I like the the simplicity of the shelf for hunting but like to fool around with other stuff to. Just got a ILF riser and now will try both types of rests!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Keeping a Berger Button clean and working smoothly is an important consideration. Here's how I solve that problem
Note the "dot" above the arrow rest. That's the button behind the leather arrow plate. Completely closed system.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Excellent Idea Mr Lamb....   :notworthy:   I never gave that a thought! See even an old dog can learn a new trick!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »
Het Charlie what is the bow in the pic very nice wood in the riser Thnaks Shane

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve o,
  My mileage varies. Every bow I have put a rest on (mine or a friends) has had improved arrow flight and easier/wider range in tuning.  It takes about 2 shots to adjust to the rest and that half inch it raises your arrow off your hand doesn't do diddly to hurt your shooting.  Added bonus is being able to hunt with vanes if you want.  No rests on my longbows and I am about 50/50 shelf vs. rest on my recurves.
Im with Steve on this one, I have a flipper rest on my Titan and love it. I cant my bow at varying degrees depending on the situation and it still hit were I look. I still shoot my Hill off the rest as I do with some of my other bows, but my Titan with a flipper rest and vanes on the arrows is my main setup.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Many old recurves were tillered to be shot with an elevated rest. Find the nocking point by bare shafting, and if the arrow is pointing downward when put on the shelf, it will shoot better with an elevated rest.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©