3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two questions about shooting weight.  (Read 384 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Two questions about shooting weight.
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I know one of the most important influences in being an accurate archer is being comfortable with your equipment in reagards to draw weight.  I've only shot one trad bow in the last 20 years and it happens to bea 52 inch bear 40 pounds at my 25 inch draw length.  I can easily shoot a couple hundred arrows in a day and not experience any degrade in my anchor or release.  I'm not a big ol ox of a guy...not particularly strong or weak...just average.  What I'm wondering is how fast when moving up in weight does it get to be too much?  If I can shoot a 40 pound bow easily all day will I be able to shoot a 50 pound easily as well???  I'm assuming the strain going up in weight is a bit cumulative?

My second question...most of the used bows I find advertised are say 50 pounds at 28 inches.  What is the standard per inch loss when going down in draw length from there?  I know to get real draw weight at a particular draw length the only way to be sure is on an accurate scale but is it 2 pounds per inch or 3 pounds per inch...something like that?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two questions about shooting weight.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I have done it in 5# incriments. IMO 10 lbs is alot to move up at one time.

2-3 lbs per inch.... Sometimes,  I think that it varies by bow. bow type and manufacture. But most people I know of use 3 lbs as a rule of thumb.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Chris

Each person is different and you would be amazed at the weight one guy can comfortably shoot compared to another so there is no set answer for your first question.  I personally wouldn't go up more then 5 pounds at a time.  

Usually a bow is 2-3 pounds per inch, depending on the bowyer.  I too have a 25" draw and have found that most bows for me go 2-3 pounds per inch. For me, one 60# @28 bow is usually 51-52# at my draw while I have another bow (a 1966 Bear Grizzly) which is 57# @28 and measures 50# at my draw. Hope I have helped.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I think a 10# jump would be ok if you resist the urge to shoot the crap out of it at first. I would reccomend shooting a few different bows. Recurve, longbow, long, short, are all going to feel different at the same weight.

3lbs. per inch is usally what I go by without a scale.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I would say you have built a lot of endurance by shooting the 40# bow so long. Shooting that much weight for that length of time has built strength as well. Now let's look at the next part of the question moving up in weight is moving up in weight no way around that fact. Now I will say going to 50# from 40# would not seem to be a stretch it can be done no doubt. The way you have to view this is by looking at other task. If you have done 20 chin ups everyday for 5 years,can you now strap on 10-20#'s and still do 20 quality chin ups? I would think you may be able to gut it out and get 20 reps but it would not be a easy task. Now if you use that weight and increase the quality reps everyday it would probably be a quick transition to the heavier weight.

Now for the weight per inch 2-3# per inch is a good standard. I shoot bows between 54-60#'s and I can tell you if I don't shoot the 60# for a while I can definitely feel and see a difference in my performance. We are talking about only  5#'s. See if you can find one to try 45-50# and see first hand what you feel comfortable with using.
 Good luck.
USMC 82-86

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Effects due to moving up in draw wt are quite individualist due to physical limitations, mental determination and methods chosen to build up to handle moving up in weight.

Typically a 5# jump is noticeable and 10# jump  is a large move. If intent in jumping up to 50#'s, then possibly consider only shooting a number of shots with 45-60 second rest with perfect shot execution then switch back to your 40#r. Switch back to the 40#'r as soon as you notice the 1st signs of shot execution deteriation. It is possible that you may only execute 5 good shots or less at 50#'s. Take your time and permit your body and mental frame to adjust. Another option to consider wouild be working in, would be to draw your 40#r to anchor, aim, work up to holding ~10 sec then release and follow thru. Work up to ~20 arrow with 45-60 seconds rest and your road to 50#s could be much smoother. Commitment could be key.

Draw wt. typically increases or decreases ~3# per inch change in draw length.

There very well could be much better advice, however I believe that the previous suggestions are a viable means for accomplishing your goal.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Want2no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I too shoot a 40# recurve.  I have tried a 47# and a 54# recurve at a local shop.  I was very comfortable with the 47#er and as stated above with quality practice a 10# move could be done.  I have learned practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.  Good luck!
Jeremy

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I agree with all above, specifically, 5# being a simple and proportionate move and 10# being alot.  One thing that could have a large effect on you being able to accomplish a larger move up would be bow length.  56" or 58" can give you a percieved lighter and more manageable feel than a 52".  It depends on riser to limb length ratio.  How long the actual dynamic limb is. In other words a 58" bow with a long riser, say 16", would not give you the limb length that a 58" bow with a 13" riser would.  The shorter riser bow would give you a lighter feel although it would deliver the velocity and increased power you are looking for.  I wouldn't go more than 58" at a 25" draw as it has a deliterious effect on the bow's "power delivery".  A longer bow requires a longer draw to get it's full effect.  I would encourage 56" at the upper limit @ 25" draw.  But that is really stepping out of what I can say from this distance.  I would try to get to a larger trad event and shoot the mess out of a bunch of bows.  Good Luck, Joe
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I think your back will adjust pretty quickly. I started out with a 40# Ben Pearson recurve and then moved up to a 50# longbow. There is a differance for sure but it didn't take long to get adjusted. As for draw length and weight drop I am not sure. I bet if you were buying from anyone in the sport they could give you a poundage at your draw length.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Be careful moving up in weight.  The important concern is not a degrade in your anchor or release while shooting at the range but the cumulative damage to your bow arm shoulder.  I shot a 70 lb. longbow for many years and did not have any problem shooting; however my tendency to roll my bow shoulder forward in an attempt to push/pull has resulted in shoulder pain that has caused me to drop down to a 52 lb. bow.  I am hoping to nurse my shoulder along without  rotator cuff surgery.  When you move up in weight be more concerned with form as it relates to your shoulder.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
Flingblade is getting to the point.  How old are you and why do you want to go up?   If the objective is a soon to occur hunt and then you'll go back to your normal, that's one thing.  However, bear in mind that shooting's wear and tear on the muscles and joints is subtly cumulative.  Shooting as little weight as you need over time will keep you shooting longer.  I'm 73 and pretty bunged up in general.  I shoot 25 to 30# and I'm enjoying the heck out of 3D.  I got up to 42 when I needed to for a javelina hunt, but went right back when that was over. I can sense that I'll have to go down further next year, but I'll keep shooting.   I'll tell you the truth, I wish now I hadn't been shooting 50+ back when I did.   I'm sure I'd be shooting a bit more now, and maybe be able to keep shooting a bit longer than I probably will.  If you really enjoy archery, plan ahead to enjoy it for as long as you can.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the excellent advice everyone.....

I should have mentioned that I am recently returning to Traditional archery after 20 years of shooting a compound.  I'm 45 years old and  have shot bows all my life...the last 20 years as mentioned was with a 60 or 70 pound compound.  I am 5'8" 170 pounds and in pretty decent shape....just average...not a big ole hoss of a guy ya know? My motivation to move up in weight is simply deliver more energy downrange so I will be more likely to get pass thru on deer.  Everyone says that traditional archery is all about getting close to game but that fact is true of all archery.  Ive killed dozens of deer with a compound and only 1 of them was beyond 20 yards with the average being 15 ish yards.  Traditional archery is more about slow and heavy when it comes to arrows and with that in mind I wanted my next bow to be a bit heavier so I can go up in arrow weight without sacrifing too much trajectory.  Am I thinking about this all wrong?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
I jumped from 43# to 53#. Not the best idea, but it was based on money. It took me a good 6 months to get truly used to shooting the heavier weight with good form. Initially my form went to hell....

If you can, make a smaller jump in weight first. Like 3-4 pounds.

Just my thoughts from my experience.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Focus on lighter weight and form first then worry about weight. You may/can get up to 60-70 pounds or more eventually. Start with the lower weight first though and be patient as you work up in weight and keep good form. It may take quite a few years to shoot well with a heavy bow, but just take it slow and you will get there the right way. People get pass throughs on deer with 45-50 pounds and even less. Accuracy is paramount in addition to a sharp broadhead.

Good luck and be patient!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
"Am I thinking about this all wrong?"

Well, this old man says, "Yep..."   With the hunting experience you describe, you are are capable of getting within 20 yards of the game.  If you have good form and are accurate, the bow you have is fully adequate.    Here is a sign I keep on my shop wall:

A Simple Philosophy

1. A bow is just a spring that throws a stick.  Don't complicate it.

2. A good bow is one with which a good hunter can kill his quarry at an ethical distance.

3.  An ethical distance is one at which a good hunter has absolutely no doubt whatsoever of the outcome.

4.  A good hunter is one who is able to get within an ethical distance before he will even consider shooting.

5.  Speed does not kill.  Death is a message carried by the arrow.  If the above philosophy is followed, it will arrive.

"It’s not how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by jamesh76:
I have done it in 5# incriments. IMO 10 lbs is alot to move up at one time.

2-3 lbs per inch.... Sometimes,  I think that it varies by bow. bow type and manufacture. But most people I know of use 3 lbs as a rule of thumb.
I would definatly agree with both of these statements.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I think that a 10# jump would be fine.  I can't see any problem with it if you don't try to shoot all day at first.  Shoot your bow and when you feel your arm and back getting a little tired, stop.  

One thing I would advise, keep you 40#er.  Shoot the 50# bow for a while, but end your shooting with the 40# bow or at least shoot the 40#er once a week.  This will help keep your form on the up and up.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Dick in Seattle is a wise man indeed. It's all about having the confidence to deliver the appropriate payload to the desired location. Simple as that.

Ideally if you can sneak up #5 at a time that would be great. If not, I don't think a #10 jump with 5 months to acclimate for next hunting season is a stretch. Start out with short sessions and increase them every week.

I didn't want to play the age card but.....I know when I hit my mid 40's muscle development became a little more challenging. Longer warm ups and more prone to injury due to overexertion. Don't ruin your shooting by pushing it too hard.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
"It’s not how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

I like that Dick, too bad more folks don't subscribe to that theory.

Archer 66, you gotta walk before you run, take baby steps, borrow a heavier bow from a friend, take you time.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone..I appreciate it.  

I'm thinking that I'll test drive some bows in the 45-50 range and see how they feel.  I'd never hunt with something that I can't shoot accurately....I have WAY too much respect for the animals to risk a cripple.  

I agree that a razor sharp broadhead properly placed is number one in archery but ya gotta admit that if higher kinetic energy attainable through the use of heavier equipment is a goal worth pursuing...If I can accurately deliver more energy through the vitals of a deer or elk then that's what I want to do.  Thus my interest in increasing my draw weight.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©