3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barge AP Cement  (Read 239 times)

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Barge AP Cement
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
What is the difference between Barge AP Cement in the Yellow tube and the Blue tube. Can you use the Blue tube for arrow rest? Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barge AP Cement
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
The new Barge in the blue tube is Toluene-Free formula,which I guess is more enviroment friendly.But in my experience it is not as good as the old Barge in the yellow tube.To me it has a short shelf life after you first open the tube.I open a new Barge in the blue tube and used some,it did alright.But after about a year in just didn't work as good,it just thickened up to where it didn't flow very well,it was like a blob.The old yellow tube I would use it for a couple of years or more gluing on rests and other leather work.And it was fine and held better in my opinion.I have a blue Barge full tube with just one rest glued and now I threw it in the trash.I think I'm going to get some rubber cement from Tandy the next time I need to do some leather glueing.The old Barge in th yellow tube was all I used for rests/side plates and leather work,I miss it.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
I used the Barge in the yellow tube for years on leather work and as stated by JRY309 it had a good shelf life. The blue tube just does not hold like the old Barge, I just don't use it any more. I am now using rubber cement and I really miss the old Barge.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:46:00 AM »
For sideplates and rug rests Ive gone to 3M heavy duty outdoor rated double side tape......works great.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
I use the yellow tube for Everything.. I recently tried the Blue tube and it works just not like the yellow.. The blue doesn't hold as well either..

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Yep, same here, yellow tube is better than the blue.

The glue in the blue tube is a lot runnier and takes longer to set up as well.

Don

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
I haven't tried the new stuff yet, but if it is anything like my experience with other new and improved, safer, better for the environment, it is for your own good products, it won't be as good.  I will try it though, but the old Barge's is the best stuff I've ever used bar-none.  

RonP

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
The new barge cement comes out like a jelly roll and is tough to work with. I have went back to contact cement in the bottle. 3-M makes it with a small brush attached to the cap, when you get done screw the cap on tight and store it upside down so no air gets in the bottle. I think the one I have is going on 4 years old and still works fine.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
They are not supposed to sell the yellow Barge to anyone other than a registered business due to the Toluene.  You guys are right on, yellow is a totally different product. Easier to use, stronger, lasts longer.  If doing leatherwork, the yellow is far superior.(as well as everything else too)
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©