3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easter Weekend at Hog Heaven  (Read 430 times)

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Easter Weekend at Hog Heaven
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
My 18 year old granddaughter, Kelsey, and I took Ray up on his offer to hunt over the Easter weekend.  Although there wasn't anything put on the ground, there was no shortage of turkeys and pigs.  The group saw over 100 pigs.  

My hat's off to both Ray and Mike for showing us a great time.  We also met John Carnahan, his son, Samuel, and Adam a close friend of John's.  All were great company.

The first morning Mike and I head down to the swamp to see if we could get any turkeys close enough for a shot.  We walked a short distance and Mike gave out a call, and he immediately got several gobblers to answer.  We headed in the direction of the closest one and set up quickly.  Not more than 15 minutes later, I caught movement to my left, and as I slowly looked out the corner of my eye, I could see a short bearded bird about 10 yards to my left.  The way I was set up, any movement would have spooked the bird.  I waited the bird's next move and it was to my front.  At about 18 yards I got site of the bird, I let an arrow fly.  Unfortunately, a miss.

That afternoon I took off down a fire break, and neared a ditch that still had a lot of standing water.  I stopped to listen, and heard some grunting heading in my direction.  I first caught site of piglets on the opposite bank.  Then a little bigger pig, and not long after that came the momma.  I could see there was still some movement through the brush moving slowly towards me.  After a short wait, a 125 lbs pig made its way into the small opening where I had a shot.  I came to full draw and the arrow hit a little high.  But at the downward angle, I thought it was a good hit.  John joined me in trying to locate blood.  We found blood on a nearby cane stalk, but could not find any more.  It was so thick that I could not tell after the scattering of pigs in every direction where the pig exited.  John and I looked for quite a while before we called it.

The next morning I went back to turkey hunting.  Again Mike was calling, and in no time we had gobblers answering in every direction.  We set up, and about 30 minutes later I spotted movement about 50 yards in front of me.  But instead of turning, the bird went further down before cutting in.  Mike had a jake about 10 yards away from him that I never did see.  That afternoon, I saw several sounders, but with no shot opportunities.  I made my way to an area, and sat up against a tree.  I had four jakes come running in, but never made it to a point for a shot.  A few minutes later, a doe came in behind me and bedded down not more than 15 yards.  I watched her for over 20 minutes before I finally hissed a few times, but she wasn't sure what the noise was or where it was coming from.  So I finally started getting to my feet, and she got to her feet and we stood face to face in a stand off.  She trotted a few yards and turned to see what the big blob was moving in front of her.  She finally slowly moved back into the woods.  

The last morning I tried one more time to see if a turkey would come in.  Mike called, and the gobblers answered.  Again we set up, but the only interest was with a hen that came within a few feet of where Mike was set up.

Ray and Mike were great hosts.  Ray's meals were great.  Having John, Adam, and Samuel in camp was a real treat.  

My granddaughter wants to go back.  She had a blast.  She saw more turkeys that she could count.  Also, she had a couple of encounters jumping up deer right in front of her.  She did have a question for Ray the first morning and that was, will those turkeys attack me?  This will be a venture that she will long remember.

Thanks Ray for a great weekend of fun.  Mike, I appreciate your time and efforts calling in birds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easter Weekend at Hog Heaven
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Larry,

Good times and memories.  Thank you for sharing the account.  Pretty neat to have critters come in and bed next to you.  Did you take any photos?

I hope to make it to Hog Heaven some day.  From all that I have seen and heard, I would really enjoy it.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Kelsey Surtees

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
When my papa first told me about this place, I wanted to go with him.  So far the only thing that I have shot with my bow is a squirrel and fish.  The next time I go I'll have a new bow that my papa is getting me.  The only thing that worried me about this trip is when I found out there was no cell phone service.  But this turned out to be a perfect way for me to start off my Spring break.  A hunt at Mr. Ray's.  I saw a bunch of turkeys.  The deer let us get real close before running away.  I liked meeting Mr. Ray and Mr. Mike, as well as Mr. John, Mr. Adam, and Samuel.

I liked hearing all of the stories around the trailer.  I'm so glad that Mr. Mike's grandmaw was level headed and taught him well.  Mr. Ray and I had a good time "watcha talking about Willis".  

My grandfather forgot his camera, so I took a couple of pictures with my cell phone.

This first one was right after we arrived in Estill and met Mr. Ray.  We had something to eat before heading to the trailer.  Mr. Ray wanted to show me a South Carolina cactus.

Mr. Ray spent a lot of time planning out the strategy for our hunt.

I guess Mr. Mike (on couch), Mr. John (in back right chair), and Mr. Adam (near right chair) were also planning their strategy for the hunt.

The skeeters were everywhere, and it was nice sitting inside after hunting.  Samuel and I spent some time catching up on reading in between hunting.  

I can't wait to go back again.  Thank you Mr. Ray.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time.  Kelsey, i'm glad you were there to keep your Papa straight! i know you had your hands full!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  
Sounds like a dandy w'end ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Great pics Kelsey.  Looks like those guys did a lot of "strategizin'"
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
Kelsy,

These are times that you will never forget...

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
Kelsey,you must be grayeful to those all guys planning a good strategy for you!You had a lot of action,congrats.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Great stories and pics. Thank you both! One day I'll get to Mr. Ray's place. Looks like a great place to strategize!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
God times with family and friends(even new ones) are going to be tough to beat.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I bet I too would be a good strategist.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Hey, that was a POWER NAP,Willis!!!!!! Five minutes later I sprung to my feet and hit the ground runnin' !!!!!!!  :bigsmyl:  

I really enjoyed the weekend....Kelsey and I came really close to puttin' the smackdown on a MONSTER turkey....
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Good stuff Larry and Kelsey.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Sounds like you all had a great time, Larry aren't Grand Daughters great, mine is 9 and is an awesome person. Good Bless Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Oooooh man, that sounds like a really good time. Bet you the laughs never stopped. Glad you had fun Kelsey. Your Papa and Ray are two of the best fellers going even if they are a bit "Strategic" at times. Theyve worked hard all their lives theve earned it.   :campfire:

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Kelsey when you've been doing it a little longer you'll learn to strategize too,thanks for the pics.  :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Good stuff thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
strategizing is a good thing.... think I will go do it for a hour or so   :saywhat:  . Glad ya'll had a good time !!

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Thank you for posting some photos, Kelsey.  Ya did good and someone had to be the sentry while all the planning and "power naps" were being had.    :laughing:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Good Stuff Surteeses    :D

I bet ya'll will be back soon....the hogs are thick over there....the sitings I heard rivaled ours next door.

I'm ready to go again.

T
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Brings back memories form a month ago. I had a blast also.

It sure looks like you "people" (trying to be PC) made some memories which is what it's all about.

:thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©