3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grayling jig on the way  (Read 415 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grayling jig on the way
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Who sells them? I've never heard of them.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
i found mine on the i think unmentionable site for 57.45 shiped total. with 2 50 packs 4in. parabolic feathers your choice colors  tube of fletch tight and extra nock plate might be some left not sure. thought it was a good deal and got here quick real quick. you know i havent opened it yet might have to take a look at it in a bit. 4 on the woodies maybe that would work. got me thinking Z.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
ok guys m having a ordeal setting up my jig.
i had the same thing when i started reloading i dont have a clue.
ok the ? is could one of you tell me how to set this thing up i dont know where to start.
like the lil lines on the magnet side and the lines on the nock thing
i know you all may think its simple but im just not getting it. im sure its simple but im having a moment trying to set it up.
im using wood 11/32.
HELP

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I just did my first dozen.
Had some trouble too.

What I found to get me really close was this...

Lay your arrow in the jig.

Loosen the clamp mount just enough so it'll slide when you want it too and stay put when you stop moving it.

I found that adjusting the clamp so that if you sighted through the clamp ( top to bottom not front to back) you'd look right through the middle of the shaft. After a couple practices I found I needed to adjust the clamp to what looked like a bit too much helical in order to get it just right.

Obviously you need to to this for the front and rear.

Also found it works best to lower the clamp evenly along the shaft when fletching. When I tried to sorta "roll it" down, the feather wouldn't have a good helical.

I fletched some 11/32 shafts that were tapered in the rear to 5/16.

My settings were ...

front of clamp- just above the second line from the top..

back of clamp- just above the second line from the bottom.

As far as the "nock thing" that just lets you adjust where the feathers will lie in relation to the nock.

Just do a dry run ( no glue or tape) and adjust the nock receiver so the feathers are where you want them for best riser clearance.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
thanks z
ill give it a try later tonight
i have some old bear woodies that have razor tips on them i put wraps on them so i could use
super glues i have gorilla rubber impact and lock tite im thinking the gorilla cause it has rubber in it should flex a bit and be good for the feathers. what do you use Z. i also have fletch tite plat.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I used the tape. went on nice. Seems really sticky. Did the whole dozen ( 4x4 fletch) in  a night with one jig.

There was a post about the platinum on here lately.
Seems to me quite a few people had problems with it..I might be mistaken though.

Just be sure to clean/prep the feather base and the shaft.

Good luck
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
hey z
dont know what i did but it does riser hen feather first then cock then up hen feather
riser feather the 3 lines middle line set for first feather. ill fix the few bear arrows then try to set it right to do my shafts. i think ill tear it apart and start over. ill get it im just lil instruction stupid.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I've used a Martin fletching jig for probably 15+ years now, same thing as a Grayling and clamps will interchange. I've never had a minutes trouble with it. I've got a Bitzenburger now, but only cause I got a great trade on a like new one and couldn't pass it up, but I'd still use the Martin/Grayling fletcher in a heartbeat with no remorse.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Make sure you have the correct indexer in the jig.
Mine came with 4x90˚, 3 w/ cock down, & 3 W/ cock out.

Sounds like you may have had the cock down indexer installed.
With the correct indexer in you do the cock first.

I'm sorry I didn't think of that part to tell you earlier.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
im making them as i type works good for me just hen cock hen oh well y mess with it till im done with these.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
B44mag asked me to post these pics of his work for him.

Looks like a clean job!

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
thanks Z
they look ok to me for first set
i hope they fly good
stumps better look out

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©