3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting set up  (Read 648 times)

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting set up
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Hey guys i am going elk hunting this fall. This will be my first trip out to elk hunt. i will be going out with my dad. he has elk hunted all his life and has a  P&Y record book bull under his belt. (with compound). But i will be hunting with my recurve. i need some advise on arrow weight for my set up. i have been checking out many similar post about this topic and i need some more info. my set up for whitetails is 53&26 with a 500 grain arrow.( well i pulled my bow on a bow scale it its more like 55lbs) this more than does the job for whitetails.... but i realize elk are alot bigger.

i would like to stick with this bow and not buy new limbs. but i will if needed.

what is the recomemded arrow weight you would use on elk with this bow?

:)  guys not trying to be a butt:)... but please respond if you have actually killed a elk:) and what your experiences have shown  :)  

thanks John

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting set up
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Ok, the bow and arrow are OK.  I use a heavier arrow (600gr.) on a bow about the same weight.  The key is something you didn't include.  Broadhead!  You want to maximize your penetration with a quality head that is beyond sharp.

I guess I qualify, got a few under my belt.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
thanks Wingnut!!  :)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Your bow is good. Like Mike said a heavier arrow would be a good idea. Chosing the right broadhead is important. Sharp is more important. Get close and put it in the right spot.  

I hope I qualify  :)
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
I've killed several with a compound prior to switching last year.  Last year my set up included: 52# @ 28 longbow, 29 inch Port Orford Cedar arrow weighing at 520 grains,2 blade eclipse (125 grains).  I arrowed a small 5X5 bull at 30 yards quartering away and needed only one arrow; recovery of the animal was less than 50 yards.  The arrow itself penetrated approximately 22-23''. I think as long as your shot selection is good and your broadhead is sharp you will do fine.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
thanks Mt-dew10

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Ditto with the guys out West.Listen to'em,they live with'em.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Not wanting to hyjack the thread but this makes me feel GREAT about my upcoming trip.  I am also going after elk for the first time this September with a BW recurve.  My set up is 51#s at 25.5" with about 570 grain total arrow weight.  Broadhead will be an old Bear greenie razorhead (with small but sharp bleeder blades), 100 grain steel adapter glued in head and a 50 grain brass insert.  Heritage 150's cut at about 28" (still tinkering with the setup).  Sounds like I am right there in the ballpark.  I will be keeping my shots inside 30 yards.

If I could add to the post, I would be interested in knowing what everyone's setup for getting around 600 grain total arrow weight is?  Do ya'll think it is worth it to add the bleeders?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
John..  sounds good to me.  I have used 55# bows with 500+ arrows and sharp cut on contact BHs.
Magnus 2, 4 and lately woodsmen......

Joe

PS 4 months, 4 days until Elk Season.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks joe!

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
John, where are you going elk hunting?  Just curious.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
I say stay with what is working for you.It will do for Elk.I use 51# @ 31", 508grn arrow.It works on really big bulls,just look on my website.  :)  Good luck and have a great trip.Dont forget,we all like pic's.

Online ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I use a 640 grain carbon arrow out of a 54 lb R/D longbow at 26 inch draw. Took a slightly quartering away 5x5 at 23 yards with this set up and it worked very well.

Offline Dan in KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
John,

My group all shoot the same make longbow at around 55#.  Most are shooting Axis 400s with brass insert and around 200 grain broadhead.  To date, all hits have been complete pass throughs with easy recoveries.  I think you are fine with your set up.  Have a great hunt.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
x2 on everything said above...

Offline scout1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
You have plenty of bow for hunting Elk.
The last bull that I killed was 2 years ago here in Arizona. For that hunt I used my Asbell era Bighorn recurve pulling about 56 pounds. The arrow was a 2018 aluminum with a Zwickey Delta for a total weight of 592 grains. I was hunting from the ground and the range of the shot was 8 steps. I hit that bull a little higher then I intended, but still penetrated both lungs. The arrow did not pass through.
Practice with the gear that you have and use a super sharp broadhead of your choice. Luckily I have another Elk tag this year. If your hunting in Arizona I'll be the guy using a longbow.
Good luck, Jim

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Sharp broad head in the lungs = dead elk. Even in the lighter draw weights...

If you are still worried about penetration you could always set up a heavier, high FOC arrow and stick a long narrow 2 blade broad head on the end for a little peace of mind.

A lot of people have already said it though. A sharp head is a dead elk if you place it well.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
John, the only arrows that will work for you are mine (in my quiver)...and for them to work properly you'll have to take me and my bow too.     :)    
Good luck!

Cool vids - you and Ammonds look like you had a great time.
CoilSpring

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I'd say you are pretty good, but if you were to increase your arrow weight 75 grains or maybe a tad more you would be doing yourself a favor

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
The only elk I killed with a bow was my OLD Damon Howatt #50@28" with a 575 grain arrow (2018) and a 2 blade Zwickey...damn good steaks were had. Your setup should be fine...hit the sweet spot.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©