3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for screw-in tree step users  (Read 443 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
? for screw-in tree step users
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I was wondering if it is OK to leave the screw-in tree steps in the tree rather than unscrewing them each year.  Does it do the tree or the steps any harm to leave them in the tree?  Do any of ya'll do it?  Thanks for your time.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for screw-in tree step users
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
The tree will grow over the steps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
It is a good idea to remove them.Besides the fact the tree will grow out to the point where you can no longer twist the steps out,they will rust and corrode to the point that one day they will snap off if you try to remove them or possibly when you step on them.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I have always left mine in the tree. I haven't ever had any problems doing that. But the safer thing to do would be to remove them at the end of the season.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I remove them and put brand new ones in every 2 years. I have had them snap on me when climbing before.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I have always left mine in the tree. I haven't ever had any problems doing that. But the safer thing to do would be to remove them at the end of the season.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
when I used them I always took them down at the end of the season. I never hunted on land that I own, but I doubt I would've done differently.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
When I used tree steps I would always remove them for the same reasons as listed above.  However, I have had two break off on me and it's not a lot of fun!  Luckily I wasn't very high when it happened.  Now I only use Gorilla strap on steps.  They are not only safer, but do no damage to the trees.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Have had them both break and pull out. Took a couple occurrences and near distasters before I got the message.

It only takes one avoidable mishap to ruin much.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I also have had a screw in step break.  I now prefer strap on steps, ladder type sections.  If you use them, I'd recommend taking them out.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I have also had them break off on me.. try the quik stix XL by big game they go up 20 feet and can go up faster than screw ins
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »

"just say no to screw-in steps"

before this happened I had used them for years then, one pulled out as I was putting up a stand. and yes' it was screwed 'properly' into a white oak.

do yourself and your family and friends a favor and NEVER use a screw-in step. according to the Dr. that sewed me up I was less than 1/4" from cutting the main artery in my arm with certain death not far behind.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
A study a while back suggested that you never leave screw in steps in a tree for a extended period.  They claimed that the acid from the tree will eat away at the threads on the screw, leaving nothing but a pointed spike which can pull out very easily.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks ya'll for the info.  SSWV, that is one nasty wound you got there!   :scared:   I think I'm gonna "just say NO" myself.  Man, I love this site.  Thanks again ya'll.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by SuperK:
Thanks ya'll for the info.  SSWV, that is one nasty wound you got there!    :scared:    I think I'm gonna "just say NO" myself.  Man, I love this site.  Thanks again ya'll.
good choice.  be a ground pounder like some of us.  I used to hunt from a tree, untill I decided to use a branch instead of screw in one more step, and that branch broke, sending me 11 feet to the ground where I snaped my ankle 1/2 mile from my truck, no cell phone, and a 4 hr drive home using my left foot on the brake and gas pedals.  I did go to the hospital near where I fell, once I finally was able to crawl to my truck, and they were only able to put an air cast on me due to the swelling.  As far as I know, the treestand is still in that tree.

You will thank yourself in the longrun for sitting on the ground.  Take this opportunity to learn from our mistakes.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I've climbed up into stands with screw in steps that were in for atleast 10 years probably a few more with no problems. You probably should for several of the reasons above, pull them every year tho.

Offline archery j

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I take them out every year... Leave nothing to chance when climbing to the top!
Hoyt Buffalo #45

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
I would love to know what brands broke. PM me if you don't mind. I never had a Ezy Climb break, and always take them out at the end of the season.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
I'm with buckracks7, I used  the Ezy climb also and never had one break. I did have one of the cheap rod type steps break once and never used those kind again. Now-a-days I just use the ladder sticks because I feel its a lot easier to gain hunting permission here in VT because we need landowner permission to put up any treestands. I do miss the portability of the screw-ins.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
I always remove mine, they're on our own land and I don't like the idea of what they might be doing to the tree. Over time the tree will grow over them.
May be making the switch to ladder stands ala the Wensels. They use them exclusively, I read and I've only been in one, but much preferred it.
Got a line on a Summit, which looks pretty tough and safe.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©