3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does this arrow selection seem OK for Big 5 ?  (Read 151 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Does this arrow selection seem OK for Big 5 ?
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
OK, here are the specs...69" HH Big 5 53lbs at 28" (or so marked, I don't have a way to weigh it, but that feels about right). I draw a pretty consistent 28 maybe 28.5 if I get excited. D97 14 strand string. 2 wool puff balls for silencers. Brace is 6 3/8

The arrow that shoots the best is a 2018 cut 29 1/4" BOP and a 125 gr point. The next best arrow is a 65-70lb woody with the same length and point weight.

Now I thought when I started out that a 50-55 pound arrow would work like a charm. No such luck, pretty much flew sideways down range when bare shafting.

Now when I plug everything into Stu's calculator it says the 2018 has a dynamic spine of around 68lbs and the Big Five has a rating, with a strike plate position + 1/4, at 45lbs. I used the generic longbow/selfbow choice.

The calculator up to this point has always been pretty much right on.

This Big 5 is going to be my hunting bow this year and I just want the best arrow flight I can get. I always wonder if it's some kind of operator error on my part when these weird things happen. Should I just not look a gift arrow in the mouth and stop worrying? Or do you fellas think something else is going on?

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does this arrow selection seem OK for Big 5 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
I have shot Hill bows for a long time and shot with other fellows whom have shot the same style bows since before i was born . As such , I have learnt two things ...
Some people get  better results with arrows that are a bit overspined ...
Some people get beter results with arrows that are spined according to bow weight or just under ...
i shoot approx the same specs with an inch shorter draw and get my best results with
Alloy ... 2016's cut at 28.5" with 200 gns b'heads
Woodies ... 50/55 tapered Fir/Cedar cut at 28" with 160gnb'heads
I would have thought that with 125gn head your 2018 might have been a bit stiff but you and where the arrows hit the target are the best judge...   :)  

To me the best initial judgement re arrow flight is where the arow ends up when i shoot it ... if pretty good then brace height and point weight can be adjusted accordingly

My advice is too not over think it too much and if you have an arrow that throws a broadhead into the zone regularly  all you'll need to worry about is getting your Broadheads sharp and staying downwind...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Craig's bows seem to run a little heavier in draw weight than marked. So you MAY be pushing 56/57# of draw.  My bows ( and how I shoot) seem to like 1916 and 2016.  I have a longer draw so arrows are cut to 30" BOP.  I use 125 grain points.  For me, a 2018 is just too stiff until I get into the 60# weight range for a Hill bow.

For wood, I like 55/60# spines in my Hills that are in the 50# +/- range. I also find that I can move up and down a spine group or two with wood with no ill effects.

For Stu's calculator I think you are too strong in your centercut input.  I use 1/8 or 3/16 depending on the strike material.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Most of my Hill's seemed to like a lighter spine,I shot D97 on all of them.My 53# Hill liked 1916 and 2016 with 145 gr. and 175 gr. points,my 60# Hill liked 2018 with 175 and my 65# Hill liked 2020 with 145 gr, points.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
the bottom line to arrow selection will ALWAYS up to YOUR testing/trialing.  

all the arrow/shaft/spine charts and calculators don't stand a candle next you do your own testing.  if yer in the archery game for life, get yerself test kits for all flavors of arrow shaft material - money well spent.

i draw 29" and require a 45# spined 29.5" surewood woodie with 165gr up front to fly well for me out of a 55# hill longbow.  

ymmv, as it should be.   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks Gents, I'm not going to over think it. It seems to be working, so good enough for the girls I go with.

Thanks again for your insights, it really helps.

Steve

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Have to agree with Rob, Stus calculator may get ya close but for me, it never gets me very close ecsp. with carbons. Your arrow set-up sounds about perfect to me. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
My Big Five is marked 48# @28 I draw 28, for wood it likes 5/16 shafts spined at 52 pounds cut to 29 BOP with 125 grain head, Alu. 1916's cut 28.5 125 gr point and carbons GT3555 cut to 29.75 with a 50 gr brass insert and 145 gr point. I have had several hills and they all like spine around 4 pounds more than their marked draw weight.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©