3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many arrows for Africa hunt  (Read 310 times)

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
How many arrows for Africa hunt
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I am going to Africa in August and was wondering how many arrows I should bring w/ me. I only plan on shooting a couple of animals this trip.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline graybark uk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many arrows for Africa hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
depends on how long your going for ? i went for two weeks in 09 & took two dozen , 12 with broadheads & 12 with judo`s & hammer`s ..that was way too many   :banghead:  .if your planning on doing a lot of stalking then id take a lot because your likely to get more chances ,hope that helps out
good hunting   :campfire:  
john
bowhunting isn`t a bloodsport. its in the blood

hoyt buffalo 55@28/ 56@28{border hex 6.5 limbs }
stalker coyote fxt 62" 52@28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Arrows are very light weight and you will probably take an arrow box.  More is better then running out.

I took 2 doz in 1999 to Zimbabwa for Jason and me.  We didn't use that many but did break a few on animals.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Sturtevant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
If your not going to be shooting more then a couple animals...then a dozen (an arrow box) would be more then enough.   Can't imagine going and not shooting more animals then that...it's easy to get carried away.  Perhaps you're more disciplined.  :)
I took 2 dozen to S-Africa in '09 and that was way too many...but I'm still going to take 1 1/2 doz to Namibia this summer.  Rather have too many then not enough,

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I took two bows and two dozen.Yea,I had way more than I needed.BUT!!!!Years ago,I went on a two day deer hunt with a friend and on day one he slammed the trunk of his car on my arrows breaking ALL of them.Who would have thought I would need more then 4 arrows for a two day deer hunt?
Bill

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Wouldn't wish for the lower # of arrows to end up being the weak link in the chain of this marvelous hunt.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
Are you taking carbons or wood...or aluminum?

Everything over there is hard. If you miss, the trackers will hunt your arrow until the cows come home. You will nearly have to beg them to stop.every animal will break your arrow (of course not always, but usually).

You will never take an animal by clubbing them with your bow unless you have already shot them with it.
A doz would probably be plenty, but take extra broadheads. They usually come back damaged. The last time I was in Africa, I found myself rumaging around for broadhead parts. I had plenty, but finished the hunt with a nearly empty quiver.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I'll be there 10 days. I have hunted Africa before so I am not gonna shoot alot of animals. I am taking 3 other hunters w/ me, so it's more of a business trip for me.
Thanks for all the replies.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I brought 2 dozen when I went. I split them up and put  them in two bags. I also brought two bows. I had one set in my wifes bag and one in my bag in case a bag was lost or damaged. I used 8 arrows on the trip.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Both times I went I took two doz. BH's and a few judo heads.  That was overkill.  If I went again, I'd take two doz. BH's.  That's what my box holds.  It only takes one "ugly kill" to make a mess of your plans.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
At the end of the day it all comes down to one animal and one arrow in a brief moment in time.That being said I always err on the side of more arrows.Last time around I took 3 dozen.

Jeff Couture

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by COOCH:
At the end of the day it all comes down to one animal and one arrow in a brief moment in time.That being said I always err on the side of more arrows.Last time around I took 3 dozen.

What kind of case is that?  I would like to pick one up.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline speedwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I think Hoppes makes/made/marketed that case.  I have one and it has the number "9" on the haspes.  You could also look at an SKB case.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Mike I got that case from Screaming Eagle a bunch of years ago I'm not sure who even makes it.Its been around the block a time or three.

You could modify a gun case fairly easily,just glue some foam with some cuts for arrows to the top of the case and cut some padding for the bottom.Look close at the photo its not anything complicated.

I'll bet you could make it fit 4 dozen arrows  :bigsmyl:
Jeff Couture

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I would take at least one more arrow than the average size of a lions pride. LOL

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I normally take a 1 1/2 dozen, and that is plenty unless you are shooting at anything that moves. But better too many than too few. It pays to use the toughest arrows made so they don't get messed up unless they end up inside animals that break them.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I haven't been yet, but I'd take a dozen broadheaded, a dozen judos, and maybe a couple dozen flu-flus.  I think I'd have to spend a lot of time shooting birds (guinea fowl, francolin, doves, pigeons, etc.) I'd rather have them than not, and it's not unheard of for luggage to get lost.  I think I'd divide them up into at least 2 separate containers and put them into 2 separate pieces of luggage.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:
I normally take a 1 1/2 dozen, and that is plenty unless you are shooting at anything that moves. But better too many than too few. It pays to use the toughest arrows made so they don't get messed up unless they end up inside animals that break them.

Allan
Ditto the above.

Allan did you get my last e-mail?
not long now
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
My vote is for 2 dozen because I like the old adage:  "Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
When I went, it was with a compound bow. I took 18.  I brought 10 or so back...arrows, not animals  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©