3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double nock question  (Read 248 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Double nock question
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
When using double nocks, to prevent the arrow from sliding down the string after release, how close should the nocks be toward each other? It seems to me that if they're close enough to do what they should, wouldn't they pinch in on the arrow nock at the end of the power stroke? Appreciate any answers.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double nock question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I leave about 1/8" extra between the nock points.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I usally make mine to give the arrow nock about a 1/16" to 1/8" clearence.I don't want it to pinch the arrow nock as I draw it back.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I use dental floss for mine, just enough space between them for the nock. Been doing it that way for about 40 years. Never thought about the power stroke.
bolong

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
When Rod showed us in class I believe it had about 1/16" of play. That is what I use on my bows.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Like others have said: 1/16" or so, just enough to prevent nock pinch. An easy way to think of it is about two or three widths of serving material.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks all. I use tie on nocks & was just curious.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline goatkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I use two string serving nockpoints about 1/4" apart. This gives the arrow clearance to stay nocked on the string when I draw 32".
Maki-Mato

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
The new Trad Bowhunter has an article about double nocks, using serving on the bottom and leaving a space so the arrow nock won't be pinched.
Richard

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
This is JUST my opinion. I am not going to claim I am right, but I will say it is what I believe to be true.

IMO, nock pinch matters if WE do it, as when we do it we put pressure on the arrow in a way that we torque a shaft. A pinch on the nock though caused by nocking points (especially tie on ones), isn't going to matter since it only pinches the plastic nock...and would do so in an evenly distributed manner and therefore would not torque the shaft. All that pinch does is "lock" the arrow into position...and by the time the arrow approaches brace that "lock" is of course released. With metal nocks I would be more concerned about it as metal may crush the plastic nocks and may perhaps crack them. Additionally, if the archer shoots split finger, they do hold the string open somewhat.

That said, I myself only use one nocking point on my bow; however, I have my kid's bows set up with double nocking points so they don't accidentally move their arrow down. When I tie on the second nocking point, I put a spare nock on the string and tie to fit...not tight or squeezing, but just to barely contact it. Once I am finished, I watch them shoot to check for proper arrow flight...and adjust it if necessary.

These shots are live on the video above.

Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
I agree with Lee, When the string gets to brace at the shot the pinch will be the same as the way it was tied. I tie above and below and have them snug up to the nock and it works good. YMMV
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Take and set you top nock point, then take your arrow while on the string and the bottom nock point not tight, swing your arrow around the back of the string and push the arrow up on about a 45 degree.  That will slide the bottom nock down just the right amount of clearence.  Tighten the bottom nock...Done
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
Take and set you top nock point, then take your arrow while on the string and the bottom nock point not tight, swing your arrow around the back of the string and push the arrow up on about a 45 degree.  That will slide the bottom nock down just the right amount of clearence.  Tighten the bottom nock...Done
That's exactly how I do it and it works fine for me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I've never measured the distance but I leave a "tiny" gap between the nock and the bottom locator (I tie them on with serving thread). I'd say, like others have noted, the gap is 1/16th-18th".  I know if it isn't large enough because the arrow will be pinched and try to roll off the bow shelf or arrow rest. I don't want it any further than it needs to be or I'm defeating my purpose of helping the nock stay put throughout the shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©