3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bow Sale or Trade Idea- To Avoid Scams  (Read 467 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bow Sale or Trade Idea- To Avoid Scams
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Hello All,

I haven't been here long, and have never bought, sold, or traded any merchandise.

However, the recent scam that occurred in regards to a bow for bow trade got me thinking.

I think that I have thought of a 100% safe way to trade, or even buy/sell bows or other high dollar items where scamming is a major issue.

Here is my idea.

1. Terry established a handful of willing and trusted volunteers from this site. They would act in an admin role, and be the 'middle man' for the sale. We will refer to this guy/gal as guy C.

2. Guy A sells or trades a bow to guy B.

3. Guy A and B contact Guy C and establish the transfer.

4. Guy A mails his bow to Guy C and Guy B mails the payment, or his bow to Guy C.

5. Once Guy C receives both bows, or the bow AND the payment, then he ships the bow to the buyer and the payment to the seller. Or ships one bow to Guy A and the other bow to Guy B.

The two parties could include an extra $8 or so in the transaction to allow for gas money for Guy C to go to the post office.

This would ensure that no one is scammed and would be a fairly straight forward process.

Just a thought. Thanks for reading.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bow Sale or Trade Idea- To Avoid Scams
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
That is good thinking, but, there is a ton of bows traded and sold on here every day.
The mods don't get paid for their services, and this could rapidly become a full itme job.
What you are thinking is some type of escrow account, which, would again be a good idea, but the costs involved are going to raise the costs of the bow, and shipping costs.
Not trying to rain on your parade, I am glad someone is thinking.
It looks like something like this needs to be thought out, and a way to figure the costs involved.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Gotcha Pepper. Well, to make things even easier Terry could avoid the whole thing, and the 2 parties could individually decide on a mutually trusted person to be the 'middle man'. The cost would be greater, but not by much; and peace of mind is priceless when you are talking about a $900 bow.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I don't care for the idea much but I do care that you care about Tradgang.

Thank you for taking your time and effort to think about the rest of us.

It is the ones like you that make this such a wonderful place and I am grateful.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Is Guy C going to pay the shipping to mail the bow to whomever bought it? Seems like a lot more chances to have the bow damaged in shipping..Which happens on occassion..Mike

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Most of the people down here is More than just reliable,just look at the time they are here and this gives you the confidence of a transaction.
I still trust on TGangers,maybe I keep a eye open on the newbies.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
My aim is not to discredit or place distrust on "Trad Gangers." Rather, I was reading that Terry is considering setting up private membership, or some sort of credibility check if I read correctly in one of his threads. And I thought that maybe there could be an easier way to do it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I agree that it's a heartfelt attempt - but I wouldn't be "Guy C" for love nor money.

Guy A:  "But I sent my bow to Guy C!"

Guy C: "It never arrived here."

Guy A & Guy C are now at odds.  Or even worse . . .

Guy C: "I opened the box, inspected the contentents and made sure it was a bow and not a broomhandle, resealed the box at my tape expense, printed out labels, filled out the delivery receipt request and waited 20 minutes in line at the Post Office and so forward the bow to Guy B."

Guy B: "It never arrived."

Guy C, who has nothing to gain in this whole deal must now go through the agony of presenting a claim to the P.O.  

Postal Clerk: "Do you have an invoice for the original bow purchase showing value? Was the package insured?  Are you the owner?"  etc., etc., etc.

Or, if the bow is damaged in transit after Guy C ships it - same ordeal.

If you're lucky it never happens . . . but.  How many times have you received a crushed box even though the contents were OK.  Does Guy C have to keep a supply of bow sized shipping containers to swap out for crushed ones?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I'll stick to luck and trust. Nearly 50 deals Ive made here and never been taken. Thanks for the effort though.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
As they say...there are no bad ideas, but I sure wouldn't want to be guy C. Can you say "Nightmare".
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I joined TG about 8 months ago.

I don't post very much, but, I do buy stuff from TG members.

In the time I have been a TG member I have purchased archery stuff from 27 different individuals.

I have had only 1 person not live up to their end of the transaction.

He was several weeks on shipping and delivery after USPS confirmation that payment was received.

I like TG as it is at this time, but, I support a more secure buyers forum for the protection of all parties.

If that means a fee I will pay the fee even though I am on a fixed income.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Like Mudd said, at least he is tying to come up with something. I agree that there are lots of problems with this idea, but glad our tradgangers are working on it.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I think the easiest way is just let it be known that they will be tracked down and beaten with a cane shaft.
With that said not only have I bought here, but also off other sites and never ever had an issue.
Same as selling on other sites , if they told me the money was sent I sent the item (bows I waited on).
 Never an issue.. I think for the most part if it feels fishy it is fishy , probaby the best way to get a feel is looking at thier prior posts and threads.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
I'll give him credit for trying,I've bought more bows than I can remember never had a problem on this site,in fact the only problem I had was one I sold which was damaged in shipping and I refunded the buyers money.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I for one would vote no for the middle man.  Your thoughts are in the right place but the shipping carriers are enough of a middle man in my opinion.

Lets face it.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.  In everything we do we evaluate the risk, decide our comfort level, then proceed as we see fit.  Con-men are everywhere from the car lot, real estate agents and all over the internet.  This is just a fact that we all need to be aware of.

Luckily we have moderators who care and a lot of good individuals that frequent the site.  everyone wants a situation that reduces the risk of anyone getting burned, however ultimately there will always be a certain element of risk that the buyer/seller must endure.  Even if its a gang member who you have traded with before, the shipper may crush or lose the package.

I've never been taken on this site but I have elsewhere.  I learned but am not under the illusion that it could never happen again.  And i do recognize a significant difference between shipping damage and an individual intentionally deceiving another.  One you can insure.  The other you can't.  Both suck.

I think there are too many people in this world that think someone else should always bail them out of there problems.  If I got scammed here I would be hopping mad and put out the word.  Buts what's gone is gone and i dont expect a bailout.

This is all just food for thought for what i hope remains a good open discussion from different viewpoints.

I am not trying to slam or offend anyone.  Just life happens, and it's not always all good.  It's what happens as a result of the bad things that separates the men from the boys so to speak.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
What if the middle man is the scammer ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
What if all three are scammers ?
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Sorry, but I do not want to be A, B OR C in that system.

However, you do get an A for effort.
Lon Scott

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
May, I step in here.

I think both guy A and C, if they don't know each other, should simply have a few TradGang guys willing to vouch for them.  

(I probably have a dozen or so TG members that would vouch for me and I would vouch for them)
Recently, a guy new to TG, wanted to buy my bow. He gave me some "old time TG members" as references.

Thus, he was able to establish some credibility with me.

However, when the cash arrives, then the bow goes out. I ain't no fool.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Matt has a good point, plus it is always best to have a open line of communication. Encourage the person you are dealing with to call you or ask for their number as well. I have bought,sold and traded with a number of Trad Gangers and everyone I have talked to seemed like old friends. Its amazing how much common ground everyone has here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©