3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver preference  (Read 574 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver preference
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
First, hello Trad Gang!

I've been shooting a Martin Hunter 55# off and on for the last 12 years, but consider myself a total novice.  In the last two years, I've been shooting as often as I find or make time and I'm really enjoying the sport more and more as I improve my shot.  I've taken a few hogs and a deer in the last two seasons with the bow and hope to do much more bowhunting this coming season and future seasons.  (My freezer has benefitted much more from the Remington and Winchester)    :rolleyes:

The Hunter has a slide-on Martin recurve quiver, which has worked out well enough but I thought I'd get some opinions on what others like to use.  I ordered a Samick TD and I'm thinking I might try something different this year with the new bow.  I know that a bow quiver can sometimes help to quiet the bow and help with vibration but it does add a bit of weight to the bow.  I haven't tried a hip quiver as I'm concerned I'll end up making noise in the woods with this thing "flapping around on my hip."  Back quivers don't seem as they'd provide ease of access (though again, I haven't tried them either).

Just thought I'd post a thread and ask what others prefer and why.  Thanks in advance for any info/opinion you provide.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver preference
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I have been a bow quiver guy from day one( Since early 70s) Have tried every type of quiver I could find or make and keep going back to the bow quiver! I don't find the bow quiver weight a problem! I like the fact that the arrows are right there on the bow for ease and much easier to manuver while hunting!  Now with that all said, the only other quiver i've found very usable, Is the safari tuff and use this with my bow quiver when I feel the need for more arrows may be instore!  Usually carry small game heads and stump thumpers in the safari tuff!(thats 8 to 10 extra fire power) The design of the safari tuff is very hunter freindly with ease of access to your arrows!  If I was going on a week long hunt I would carry extra broad head hunting arrows!!
Any quiver you decide on you'll have to get used too! They all have there advantages and disavantages!  Manavering through brush or what ever in hunting situations can be done with any quiver! It's like a old knarlly racked swamp buck, you wouldn't think he could get through the stuff he gets through with out getting all tangled up but he does and very quietlly, he knows where every inch of his rack is and weaves his way through! You can learn to do the same with any quiver by using it and learning what moves to make and soon you'll know where your quiver is all the time with out looking! hope this helps!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Bow quivers are very convenient on the bow, and can actually make some bows shoot tighter groups. They can also take some of the vibration out of the bow making it quieter and with less shock. We make our quivers as lightweight as possible and offer a range of sizes so that you can order only enough quiver to cover your broadheads.

The only negative is that a heavy quiver may feel bulky on the bow or cause it to shoot to the side of where it shoots barebow. In that case you would need to tune to that quiver.

Good luck!      :archer2:

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I am with jimmerc,for me that's the best of both worlds.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
have to agree with everything 2fletch just said, that's why three of my bows (and several of my friends) wear his quivers.

I really love the look, feel and convenience of a bow quiver, especially on a recurve or large handled longbow. Having said that, I do have a couple of little will'o'the wisp longbows that have tiny risers and for those I've really come to like the GFA the best of any back or side quiver I've tried. The arrows are easy to access and the quiver swings easily out of your way when you're fighting brush or climbing
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I tried a bow quiver and it just never felt right to me.  I like my bow to be feather light and balanced in my hand.  I use a HH back quiver when ever possible.  It's fast , fun and convenient, but I don't like using it in the rain and snow.  I use a Safari Tuff quiver when the weather is wet and I really like it.  The only set back is that it's slow to draw and nock an arrow.  If I only had one, it would be the Safari, but I'd really miss the back quiver on the good days.
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Have a few bow quivers  ,,, used hip quivers and finally gotten a Sarari Quiver don't know if I will use anything else now  this is the best Quiver nI have ever owned no more lost arrows and it's desighn you don't even know you have it on ,, plus you can have way more arrows with you than any other quiver .. a home Run !  :thumbsup:
Gord

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
My favorite is a side quiver.

Rides higher than a hip quiver so you can trap it under your elbow to move through cover.  The arrows draw out from the front of the tube for easy selection with little movement.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Great info, gang.  And good points all around.  I'm sure this question is very subjective and it's great to get many opinions.  I'm digging the idea of the bow quiver / side quiver combo.

Regarding the Safari Tuff (or any side quiver), how do the arrows hang - point-up or point-down?  It's hard for me to see in the pics I've been able to find.
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline katelandr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I like the Great Northern bow quiver.  It is light weight and is tight to the bow so that it isnt noisy.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Welcome to tradgang!  Lots of helpful info here.

I enjoy both a bow quiver, and a hip quiver, depending on where and how I'm hunting.  I have a new Kanati quiver in the mail and it is sure to be a beauty.  Take a look at them at Anneewakee Archery - they are a sponsor here.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Point down.

Here are a Safari Tuff and a Jack Bowyers.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I use several quivers as need dictates. I kind of like the back quiver, but it's a pain when using a day pack. Sometimes I use a fanny pack & back quiver.
   I also use a side quiver I made from a strap on bow quiver, it's kind of like the GFA quiver. I probably use it the most.
  I also use a strap on quiver on my Bear Super K even though I'm not a real big fan of a bow quiver, it is handy.
   Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
For me,some bows feel better with quivers than others.If I am going to leave a quiver on for a while I like Selway.If I am looking to use an easy-on,easy-off quiver I like Kanati or Eagle's Flight.  :campfire:
John 3:16

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I use a home made two arrow bow quiver and have a back up side quiver with extra broadheads and some hex heads and judo's or grouse or rabbits.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
I have used bow quivers and always went back to a back quiver. This year I am going to try a GFA quiver, like using a back quiver but more versatile.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
I like a side mount quiver I like the weight of the quiver and arrows. I shoot better with one on. I like one that holds four arrows.  If a carried a back quiver that would be just one
More thing that got to carry in the woods

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Bow quivers on all my bows, like the extra mass weight, the naturally cant balance point and having my arrows really handy as well.  I prefer the Delta style quivers as I can adjust the balance point of the quiver on the bow to suit my shooting style and the girppers are adjustable and replaceable for all arrow diameters.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Dan in KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Two options I recommend.  For carring arrows on the bow, a Great Northern is about ideal.  Light, quiet, and balances well.  For off the bow, a Jack Bower quiver gets my vote.

DB

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Bow quiver for me. I've used hip quivers, GFA, and back quivers. My favorite is the 4 arrow Annewakee Angle Quiver with the clip to hold a fifth arrow (blunt or judo).
Keep em Sharp!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©