3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Hunting Pictures VIDEO POSTED  (Read 664 times)

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Hunting Pictures VIDEO POSTED
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I will have several videos posted shortly. My editing program went kaput, but I'll figure something out.

After a cold and slow start to turkey hunting season this year we finally had some great action this past week. Last year I took my brother-in-law Kelly on his first ever hunting trip with a bow in hand. He missed a few close shots and was devastated, this year he made up for it.

We went back to the same place we hunted last year, public land in Nebraska. We found a sweet little honey hole that is almost cheating, there are so many turkeys, and so many jakes, that shots are all but a guarantee.

We were sitting in the blind on the first evening talking about how great the morning hunt was going to be. We decided to flip a coin to see who got to be the shooter for the morning. Kelly won the flip, which meant I got to be the shooter that evening. We weren't too optimistic about the evening. It seems that turkeys don't really deviate from their routine in the evening much.

We heard a gobble way off in the distance. I responded with a few yelps, not many. A few minutes later that gobble came again a lot closer. A few more tiny little yelps and a few minutes later the gobble was closer again. My hopes weren't up yet, and I was explaining to Kelly that this happens a lot, but the turkeys don't actually come in that often. As I got done saying this we heard him drumming. Kelly had never heard that before and starts looking all around asking what the heck that noise was. I said, "DON'T MOVE!, that's him and if we can hear that it means he is CLOSE!". Sure enough, a few moments later he comes bursting in to the field, full strut, and marching towards our decoy. As soon as he stepped in to the window of the blind I pulled back and picked a spot directly over his legs. He turned away at the sound or the movement, but the arrow was on it's way, and hit the exact feather I was aiming for. He traveled about 75 yards before expiring.

I used my Hawk recurve and a Simmons Shark broadhead.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Hunting Pictures VIDEO POSTED
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
The next morning was everything we thought it would be. Turkeys filled the field we were sitting on. I hoped that we would have some toms come check us out, but 25 yards was the closest one came. I advised Kelly to be patient because I was certain a turkey would give us a close shot at some point. With all those turkeys SOMETHING had to come check out our decoys. We also had out-of-town friends at the other end of the field and didn't want to shoot at the first opportunity to allow the birds to make their way over to the other blind.

Shortly after a group of three jakes skeptically came in to our decoy. Kelly has come a long ways in his shooting since last year when he missed all those turkeys - and it showed with a perfectly placed arrow. Kelly had his first turkey, and second traditional kill.

Kelly shot this turkey with a Chastain Wapiti recurve, and an old Bear Razorhead with the bleeder blades ground flat.

Unfortunately the turkey that Kelly shot made such a commotion that all the birds left the field. Our friends were overjoyed for Kelly and didn't mind that they didn't have a chance to kill one. They said they had a jake pecking at their decoy when the commotion started but never got a shot off.

We decided to move the blind for the evening. Kelly only bought 1 tag (NE allows 3), but I still had one remaining. We moved to a very popular field with the turkeys for the evening. I never hold out for big turkeys, I am happy for the opportunity at any turkey, so I decided I was going to shoot at the first bird that gave me a chance. The first three jakes that entered the field made a b-line for us.

I decided to use my Bear takedown for this bird, and the Simmons Shark did it's job again. I love these broadheads and am now 4/4 on turkeys with the Simmons, all quick deaths and lots of damage. I have had very bad luck in recovering turkeys in the past, so I am sold on the Simmons.

Here's a picture of our brushed in blind. We had a hen within feet of our blind that hardly looked up. I am a firm believer in brushing in the blind when possible. I don't think it's mandatory, but it definitely helps on wary public land birds. The decoys are about 7 yards away.

I don't know about everybody else, but I have always thought turkeys were very hard to hit. We took three shots and made three perfect hits. It was a very gratifying trip.

I am undecided about returning to NE and buying a third tag. Hopefully a Colorado bird will be next!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
My brother also had quite a bit of luck last week. He has been dead set on killing a bird with the Magnus Bullhead, and finally connected after a few near misses.

The jake fell right where he stood. The Bullhead is devestating. I would post a picture of the bird after the shot, but it's a little gruesome for the internet.

Some of the other jakes came back after the shot. If Danny had bought more tags he could have had another, closer shot.

Danny used a Rampart longbow and a Magnus Bullhead.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Very nice! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Nice shooting!  :clapper:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I am glad you had fun and birds on the ground.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Nice shootin, what decoys are those?

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
congrats! great pics, bet the videos are cool..  :thumbsup:

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
What hen decoys are you using they really look good.

Offline tjfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Nice work Tommy.

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Great pics, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Congratulations..!

Nice shooting all around you guys.!

I was headed out to try for a Merriams here tomorrow but with the weather forcast it's not looking good.!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirtybird:
Nice shootin, what decoys are those?
They are the new ones from Zink calls. On opening weekend every turkey that came near us skirted our decoys. So I broke down and spent some money (they are a little pricey) on a better looking decoy. So far I have had more turkey interaction with these than any other decoy I have owned. Before I was always worried about what the turkeys would think of the decoys, and now I'm surprised if they don't peck at it.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Good going fellas! Congrates.
 I went this morning. I had two different birds close but spooked them when I tried to take the shot. I'm taking my blind in the morning.
 Thanks for posting your stories and pictures!

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
HighPlains, Thank you for the decoy information im going to look them up now.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Way to go y'all.....great shooting!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Awesome stuff Tommy Congrats to you all, awesome birds
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
Good stuff Tommy! If it ever stops snowing and blowing here, I hope to get a shot at a gobbler.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Tommy

Some fine birds there, well done!

Thanks for sharing that with us!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Tommy
just awesome!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©