3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quick fish skin prep?  (Read 670 times)

Offline ChrisS

• Trad Bowhunter
Quick fish skin prep?
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
I have a friend in florida that dives and both spear and pole fishes for snapper, grouper, seatrout, etc. He said he'll skin his catches and take pics to see if any would look cool on a bow.

I need to give him some method of preserving them if he finds any good ones. Timo's thread fell off the bottom of the forum, and the only method I found involved lye, vinegar, and baking soda. Since he's doing this as a favor, I'd rather minimize the work he has to do. Is there something he can do quickly to preserve it long enough to ship it up to me?
"The most insidious influence on the young is not violence, drugs, tobacco, drink or sexual perversion, but our pursuit of the trivial and our tolerance of the third rate."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick fish skin prep?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Depending on the specie of fish and how oily the skin but soaking in denatured alcohol and water with a little Lysol(antibacterial) should work. I have not done any but this is info I've recieved from others. You might also use Dawn dish liquid for degreasing.
 A friend of mine was gonna try to work with cobia skin and had a hard time getting the oils and stink out of it. I don't know what process he used.
 A taxidermist that deals with fish should have better info.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©