3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fiberglass bows.  (Read 276 times)

Offline Broadside

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass bows.
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I've got 3 all fiberglass bows handed down to me from my dad.  He's had them since he was a kid, so we're talking 45-50 year old bows.  They've seen some good use from him and my uncles, and since from me.  Ive been shooting the one longbow for about a decade now and and want to get into the little Bear recurve he just recently pulled out of the rafters of the garage.  She's scratched and dinged in a very minor way but appears structurally sound.  We'll call it well loved.

So, anyone still shoot fiberglass besides me?  Is there anything I need to worry about with these old girls?  To be honest I've never really thought about anything when shooting my little green darling beyond getting to anchor and having a smooth release.  

For the record I'd really like to buy a new bow, just because I love the beauty of wood.  But as for shooting, I don't know what the difference would be.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiberglass bows.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I haven't shot one since I was a kid,me and my brother shared a lot of adventurs together with a fiberglass bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I've got a friend who uses one as his carp fishing bow every year.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
i have a blue with grey handle indian no26 60in. 35#er that i love stumping with. im new here and back in to archery after 25+ years. im having a blast with it and some fluflu's. and it still shoots great.

Offline SlowArrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
My Dad bought me my first bow from Wards about 40 years ago - a 45# fiberglass bow.  It took me on many adventures stumpin' through the woods all over the Pacific Coast.  I just pulled it out and replaced the string and plan on using it for the bigger kids around that want to shoot with me.  There may be an adventure or two left in that piece of glass.  Plan on shooting it yet this afternoon.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

TGMM Family of the Bow

Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
enjoy that old bow. i pull mine to 28 3/4. she slings a fluflu pretty good. im going to try to get a turkey with mine and a old wood bear arrow with a 1964 razor tip old school this season. nothing today but there out there.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I am borrowing one right now from a friend...and it shoots great!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I remember the 15# red and white Ben Pearson kits my brother and I got as kids for Christmas.We shot everything but the kitchen sink,mostly robins and the neighbor's cats.Man I wish I still had them so the grand younguns could shoot!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I still have the 40# Shakespeare Fiberglass bow I saved lawn mowing money to buy at age 10.  I taught my 11 year old daughter to shoot with it last year, and I have several neighborhood kids who shoot it two to three times/week. I'll pick it up and shoot it once or twice a month just for kicks.  This bow is 42 years old and I imagine that it will be well guarded (and used) in my daughter's possession long after I'm gone.  I started my archery life long ago with this bow, and when the years start stacking on me, it may be the last bow I shoot.  Other than my brother, it's the only thing I still have that was a part of my life at 10 years old.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Broadside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Yeah, my first bow was a yellow #20 fiberglass that I've used to teach my kids to shoot.  That thing is still going strong, so I guess I'll keep shooting these things till I pass them on.  I can't wait to get a string for that Golden Fox recurve.  Thanks fellas.

Oh, and good luck with those birds b44mag!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Well, you sure have a lot of us taking strolls down Memory Lane!

Back when, the safest bow that you could put in the hands of a young'n was an all-fiberglass model. It was quite bombproof, almost kidproof, and did the job day in and day out. They got dropped and dry-fired, dug into dirt and dens, and a wipe-off got them shooting again.

The question, if I read it aright, was how safe are those old warhorses to shoot today? My own Bear Green Fox is safe as can be, I lend it to kids just starting to shoot, and it has never been used when not in my sight. But one from a yard sale or an auction? Because I don't know the history, I would check it out thoroughly. Look for gouges and lifted splinters of glass, like any other bow.

A section of nylon hose will reveal such like if passed over the surfaces of the bow. Once found, see if they are in a critical, working section of the bow. No? Go shoot. Yes?

Well, I am not learned enough in the ins and outs of bow repair, so I would ask my questions to the people who do that. Could be that a little injection of 420 LokTite will fix it. If not, then the bow will likely need deep-sixing to a wall or hallowed burial, with honors to its years of devoted service to adult and child alike.

Used to be, all kids except the very rich started with these once they came out. Before that, it was a lemonwood or homemade bow. I have a definite soft spot for these bows, they are rough and ready playmates, trusted with the safety of our children. I hope yours passes the tests.

Killdeer

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Sure wish I had my long gone Indian glass bow that I started out with. It helped me scare a bunch of birds, lizards, and rabbits, and I may have even hit a few back then. We never heard of spine, brace height, FOC, or worried about arrow speed then; just shoot and have fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Mine was yellow with a little white streaking marbled through and a rubber type black handle/grip. My cousin's was close to the same except red. Don't remember the name or their pull strenght.

Anyone happen to know who made the yellow ones with the black grip? ...Thanx

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
my granddaughter krysta with a bear blue fox that was my first bow. don

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Zbone, I haven't got a clue who made them but I still have mine. No name on it.Not only was it my first bow but also my childrens first bow.A lot of neighborhood rabbits have been terrorized by that little bow.I suppose my grand kids could shoot it now but they already have their own longbows.
Don't want to give away to much here but mine came from about the early 60s.
Take care,
Ed  :archer2:

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Great picture Don.. she's a doll !
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I have my original bow...a Stemmler 40 pound blue and white marbled  with a white grip.Dad bought me this bow in'65.I was just a pup of 8. Put a new string on it the other day and shot it a few times in the back yard.Killy...you nailed it! MEMORIES...HOW THEY LINGER!!

Dave
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Yeah Ed, there wasn't any markings to identify the manufacture I can remember on mine either, and a reason I'm curious to who made it. Heck, I don't even know the true poundage, but it wasn't a lot. Had a lot of fun and a great time with it and shot that thing for years probably until I was about 10 to 12 and like yourself, terrorized a lot of critters, but also got my first bowkill with it...8^) I think it was a gift from my uncle around my 5th or 6th birthday, and yeah, that would have been the mid 60's...8^)

Sadly, I don't remember what happened to mine, but likely got pitched in the trash by someone during one of my many moves through the years…8^(  

Is yours yellow with white marbling and a black rubber type grip? Don't know why, but I can vividly remember the patterning on the rubber grip/handle, and what the double shelf looked like. Probably because I shot it so much. Thinking back now about it, probably launched more arrows from that bow than any other I’ve owned.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I've got an old one that hasn't been strung in years. I had my friend make a string for it. It started splintering when strung.  :(
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Yup she is yellow with a with a white stripe down the center. I don't know the poundage either but I can tell you it is quite light. I know we used to string it either way. Like a recurve or with the string on the back.
Shot the heck out of that thing.
She aint 100% any more. Years ago when my kids were shooting it a sliver of glass lifted near the handle. Fearing it may brake I retired it.
Sorry I can't help ya with the maker but I think we are talking about the same bow.
Take care,
Ed
By the way, thanks for the memories!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©