3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new Longbow  (Read 229 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
A new Longbow
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
I have mixed feelings about announcing this item...but I have decided to go ahead and do so simply because I like it...and my enthusiasm is what has motivated me to post it. My reservation is because the production of these bows will be very limited due to the cost of materials and time needed to make it the way I think it should be made...which is with the same detail one gets in an adult bow...but, I am going to do what I can to make them on a limited basis. I haven't decided on a firm price yet for this model, but I will do what I can to keep it as reasonable as possible. We will also be offering an adult version of this bow in longer lengths.

Protégé "Little Hunter" - this one is 46" in length, but the model will be available in 44-48". This one is 15#@22, 18#@24". Maximum draw of 24." Ideal for kids ages 5-12 depending on their size...as long as they do not draw over 24".

This particular one has a cocobolo riser with 1/4" phenolic reinforcement and wenge on the palm side...and it has an overlay of bocote on the back side. The limbs are clear glass back and belly with bamboo on the back side and red elm on the belly side. The grip is elk hide and is hand stitched. Tip overlays are phenolic and bocote and this bow comes with a dynaflight97 bowstring and siliencers.

Here is my son (5 years old) drawing the bow to an approximate 15" draw...

Here is my daughter (12 years old) drawing the bow to a 23-24" draw...

Here is my wife drawing the bow to its maximum 24" draw...(Note: that is JUST a reflection on the belly glass by the fadeouts).

The pink one (pink ivory, phenolic, bocote, and wenge in the riser and with bocote limbs with a carbon and edge grain red elm core) is one I made for my daughter. Her's is just under 50" and is 26#@24"...but it isn't finished yet. (I will be finishing her bow and a few of my client's bows this week).

Thanks for looking.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new Longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
Nice looking bow.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
Your wife's form looks real good to me!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by tg2nd:
Your wife's form looks real good to me!
Thanks. I will tell her you said so. My daughter and son are both left eye dominant and shoot left handed...but they are doing their best with that bow for the photos & video. My wife shoots right handed and is the only one in the house that is right eye dominant.
Lee

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Nice looking bows sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Wow, nice bows and love the idea that they can use one bow from 5-12.  Please let me know once you have your price point nailed down.  I'm shopping for a bow for my 5 yr old daughter.  She draws to about 16".
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
That is a great looking bow.

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Looks great...not alot of real good youth bows like mom and dad's out there.  :thumbsup:
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Those are nice! I would loved to have something like that when I was a kid. Had to settle for a Ben Pearson fiberglass bow.
bolong

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Very impressive. I really like the lines of the bow.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Originally posted by JJB2:
Wow, nice bows and love the idea that they can use one bow from 5-12.  Please let me know once you have your price point nailed down.  I'm shopping for a bow for my 5 yr old daughter.  She draws to about 16".
Will do. We are actually selling this "prototype" bow. If you are (or if anyone else is) interested in it, here is a link to it.     http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=001511    

My goal with this model bow was to make a kid bow with the same details as an adult bow...as I designed it for my kids...but the problem with producing it is coming up with a reasonable price. It takes good materials and a lot of time to do just like an adult bow (I would say about 75% of both materials and time as to what it takes to make an adult bow)...and not many would be willing to pay $325-395 for a kid bow. LOL. So??? I had some mixed feelings about announcing it to be honest. The only way I know to get the price lower is to use less than top shelf materials OR to produce them faster (less detail)...and I am not comfortable with doing either. I want them to be just as nice as my adult bows with all the features and details. I have thought about offering the bow with a spray on finish instead of the hand wiped epoxy...or removing the leather grip...or using a single phenolic tip overlay...or using a one piece riser...or using some less expensive fiberglass that can be cut in shorter lengths...etc...all of which could be done to lower the price in an "intro" bow. These are all possibilities that I am considering.

But for now...instead of dropping the quality or raising the price...What I am leaning towards (in order to keep the price down) is to only make them on a limited basis to sell from "inventory" to the general public...OR possibly offering custom youth bows to people that also purchase an adult Protege Longbow. I will have to think on this one more. I hope no one minds me posting it "prematurely."
Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©