3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Jig troubles  (Read 257 times)

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Jig troubles
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I have a Bitzenberger right wing jig. It`s sat in the garage for about a year now and after I cleaned it up i`ve discovered the clamp has a gap. I was fletching up a couple arrows that needed fixing and noticed both ends of the clamp sit nice on the arrow but it has a gap in the center. I just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and maybe an idea for a fix. I`ve only used it a few times and never noticed it before.
  Burch

Offline Spookeytooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Jig troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
my jo jan does this when i use different size diameter arrows than previous. I don't know about bitz,but the jo jan has adjusting wingnuts to align the shafts and compensate for helical. If you use fletrching tape this is a non issue
"I don't claim to know everything; I just know a lot about nothing"

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
The Bitz has the adjustability to take this out. Slightly loosen the clamp screws(2 of them) and move it back and forth till the feather fits the full length then retighten set scrws.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Are these clamp screws under the clamp springs ?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
They are on the dials on the jig, not on the clamps.

Here is the URL for a Google search for directions. The first link on there brings up a PDF of a scanned instruction manual.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bitzenburger+dial-o-fletch+instructions&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here are instructions from E-How:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7872963_directions-bitzenburger-arrow-fletching.html

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I have it set right but what`s weird is both ends sit nice on the arrow while the middle has a gap. Adjusting it some does close the gap but the clamp is off the arrow.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
Start with the feather in the clamp, and the quill 1/8" from the bottom of the clamp, this solves the problem most of the time, as the feather is pressed to the shaft, because it curves.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
Mine does the same , pull it out a tad and do a test run to set it.  I don't do it with glue on because I don't want to push the glue out.

Scott
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I agree with Hud and motherlode. I always run my thunb nail between the clamp and the quill of the feather before applying the glue, Put on the glue, then set it in the jig.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I actually had this same problem on Saturday. What I did might not be right, but it worked for me and it sits flat. I just took a file and filed the two ends down with some adjusting of the nuts and fletched one of the best arrows I've done yet. Good luck!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Mine has the gap without the feather even being in the clamp.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
I'd bet if you could post a couple pics of it set up-------someone could help ya out.....a picture's worth a thousand words!

i'm trying to think what could be wrong and got mine down to look at it---other than the dials not being set right---I can't figure it out without seeing it......
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
To get a perfect vane glue line or seal, I use a dull, thin bladed knife, an old 6" Rapala fillet knife.  Once you seat the vane, insert the edge of the blade between the clamp and base of the vane.  Being right handed, I start on the left, moving the blade down the base of the vane with enough pressure to seat any gaps between the vane base and shaft.  

This works well on right wing feathers because the little ledge on the base is facing toward you.  On left wing feathers, the ledge is on the opposite side, rendering this method useless.

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
I know this is an old topic but I just used my Bitz for the first time last night and had the same issues as burch.

I tried to adjust both adjustment screws to line the clamp up with the shaft but there is always a gap in the middle.  Both ends sit nice and flush.  I am using feathers on a Axis FMJ shaft.

My work around is to push the middle portion down after I fletch all 3 feathers.  Burch how did you resolve it?

I'm thinking Jon's suggestion to file both ends might be what I have to do.

Bill

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I use a judicious application of a mill bastard file to fit the clamp to the shaft size I use the most, then number the clamp and jig to match.. I use a Lazy Susan wheel of six clamps.. Once fitted the clamp will give an even pressure to a feather or vane.. it really isn’t difficult unless you are using arrows that differ a lot in diameter..

As a note: some clamps require more time with the file than others, probably because of differences in the molds… I also fit the JoJahn clamps that I’ve used..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
It would be impossible to have one helical clamp that would fit every diameter arrow shaft.  Each diameter shaft sits slightly differently in the jig.  The nock end is always centered on the indexer.  The "cradle" that holds the other end will allow a smaller diameter shaft to sit slightly lower than a larger diameter shaft.  A 5/16" shaft also has a smaller circumfrence than a 23/64" shaft, so the curve of the clamp would have to be slightly different to fit each shaft perfectly.  Like the others have said, just pull the quill out a little and it will take up any space.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
A helical clamp needs to be adjusted with some offset or it will be high in the middle, as several have already noticed.  On very small diameter carbon shafts, it may not be possible to adjust it enough to get good fletch contact with the shaft.  Keep in mind, the Bitz was designed when most folks shot thicker diameter wood shafts.  If you're shooting skinny arrows, will need to apply one of the fixes already mentioned. Good luck.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
My clamp does the same ,but it does not matter !! Because before I take the clamp off I take a dull flat smooth knife and run it up and down the feather to seat it.If I did not have the gap it might be harder to get the flat smooth kife under the clamp, only after I have seated the feather this way do I remove the clamp.This way you get a perfect RW curve,seated before you move the clamp.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by SactoBowman:
I know this is an old topic but I just used my Bitz for the first time last night and had the same issues as burch.

I tried to adjust both adjustment screws to line the clamp up with the shaft but there is always a gap in the middle.  Both ends sit nice and flush.  I am using feathers on a Axis FMJ shaft.

My work around is to push the middle portion down after I fletch all 3 feathers.  Burch how did you resolve it?

I'm thinking Jon's suggestion to file both ends might be what I have to do.

Bill
I`m just leaving about 1/16" of the quill sticking out of the clamp the full lenght. Then I apply the glue and gently push it down on arrow shaft. Then I use a dull exacto blade and carefully place the blade edge between the quill and the fletch clamp and push the quill evenly against the shaft and let it dry over night. It`s a pain in the rear until you get use to it bit it works.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©