3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Bow weight??  (Read 480 times)

Offline cashhere

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Bow weight??
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I have put in for the Elk hunt here in KY, I know first I have to get drawn. I currently am shooting a Griffin 46@28 drawing a tad over 26". I have great arrow flight with a 455 gr. arrow w/ Magnus 2 blade BH weighing about 170 w/ adapter. I can probably bump my arrow weight up 25-50 gr and still maintain good fight with a steel adapter. I have not hunted Elk or have any friends that have hunted them with traditional tackle. Am I in the acceptable parameter for a bull? I appreciate any input from you guys who hunt Elk.  Thanks....Dave

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Bow weight??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
So you will only be pulling around 40 lbs.

You could prob get it done with a very close shot and good shot placement, but 40 lbs seems a bit on the light side.  

That said, my father has taken elk with a 48 lb bow in the past and I know his arrows were less than 455 grains.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Check with the regs in the state you plan to hunt, they may have a min. on bow or arrow wt. If it were me, 50# with a 500 gr arrow, Single blade of good quality, 145gr +, and be sure you limit your range to a 12" group, even better 6", and only broadside.  With a quarter shot, you will likely hit a rib. No rear or frontal shots.
A steep downhill shot, high in the chest, probably will not exit, and bleeding will be internal, and limit tracking. Good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
You asked our opinion....here's mine, not enough horse power.  Elk are big animals.  CAN you do it with that rig?  Maybe, but I wouldn't try it under any circumstances myself.  There are always the stories of how somebody did it, but for elk I never go with anything under 55#@28" draw.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
+1 what David said. Gary

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Yep just not enough bow for the job at hand.  You need to get it through both sides of the critter and thats a long way for an elk.  I have a restriction from the dr. and shoot 52 at my draw and 600+ gr arrows with either a woodsman or Abowyer head.

Oh I have a 30 1/2 draw too.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Your setup will do the job, only broadside-slightly quartered shots should be considered. I'd limit myself to shots under 20 yards too.

KY has no minimum on bow or arrow weights, you cannot however have field points or blunts/judos while hunting elk..
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I would say it's on the light side.  I would have to agree with Dave.  I would go with at least 50-55# min for elk.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I would have to agree that if you draw your tag you would be better to increase your poundage and arrow weight.  I've killed elk with recurves and a longbow that were all between 56-64# and arrows from 490gr-625gr. and feel I have needed pretty much all of it.  Good luck....Shawn

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Your shorter draw length is going to set you back some from the start. I would want more for sure if it was me.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Low draw weight and short power stroke, not enough ponies under the hood.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
More power, heavier arrow.....

I told my 12 yr old son, no elk till you can draw #50 and he's good with it.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
First off can you comfortable shoot more weight if so do so
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
More power, and forget the propaganda about super heavy arrows.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I know Tred Barta will not hunt elk with less then 50 pounds.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
more power needed!   big boned, big muscled, fast animals.

I shoot a 52lb with 550 gr and I know some would, but I'd wouldn't hunt Elk with that. Any time I'm hunting animals Elk or Moose size I make sure I holding 55+.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
IMO arrow speed and weight mean more than lbs pull but with that being said. I hunted last year with some guys and two of them killed elk both quatering towards them shots. Both shot 630gr arrows with two blade heads and the one was shooting 41 lbs and if I remember 143fps got 22inches of penetration. The second guy was shooting 49@28 I know he was not drawing 28" and his arrow stopped in the back leg not easy to find but both dead and found tasted good also.  Widow

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Arrow speed is directly related to draw weight.  We hear stories of guys killing them with light gear....what we don't hear about are all the ones that were wounded and got away....that won't taste too good--bad after taste.   :(   I think we have a responsibility to use adequate equipment for the job at hand--no matter how badly we may want to do with less, for whatever reason, we owe it to those magnificent animals we hunt.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
The most important part of the equation has been explained in the simplest terms by Rod Jenkins "hit them in the soft part" a poor shot with 40 LBS or 80 LBS is still a poor shot.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline cashhere

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I can comfortably shoot 50 on a recurve and my draw length on most recurves is right at 28". I may try an find a 50-55# recurve, great excuse to buy a bow LOL. Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©