3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hybrid Longbow  (Read 610 times)

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
Hybrid Longbow
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Hey guys I am new to the website so forgive me if this question is one that has been brought up before and is like a broken record.  I have been into traditional archery for about 3 years now I shoot a bear that I picked up from my uncle a couple of years ago and have shot it ever sence.  I am ready to buy my first custom bow now and am leaning more towards a hybrid, now I am no expert in all the products out there.  I would appreciate some input on what y'all think a good one might be for my first custom bow purchase.  Money is not a option so don't be scared to throw ideas my way.  Like I said I'm sorry if this is a broken record if someone could just shoot me the link I will read up on this topic there.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline jediazul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hybrid Longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Big Jim bows, beautiful custom work, beautiful selection of riser woods and veneers, they hit straight and hard, and the price is right too, between me and a friend we bought three buffalo bows and had em shipped all the way over to Spain! I love mine! Will try to post pictures, just not quite getting how to do it yet! He is a sponsor on here, good luck!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Big Jim Thunderchild or a Bamabows Expedition Hunter or Royal Expedition. Both are one of the best out there and most reasonable on price in my opinion for a hybrid.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I cannot argue with the Big Jim recommendation as I have a Thunderchild myself. If you could find a traditional club in your area to visit, most trad guys are very helpful and may let you try several different types. There are so many fine bows out there it usually comes down to little details of personal preferance.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Centaur is a great longbow!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swinestalker:
I cannot argue with the Big Jim recommendation as I have a Thunderchild myself. If you could find a traditional club in your area to visit, most trad guys are very helpful and may let you try several different types. There are so many fine bows out there it usually comes down to little details of personal preferance.
That's exactly why I threw the Bamabows Expedition Hunter in there or it may have been a Royal Hunter, but a Trad Gang member came to my house one Sunday to visit and brought one with him. I fell in love with it, shot exactly where I was lookin, whisper quiet, and dang quick. I tried to talk him out of it, but he wasn't interested in letting it go. I'd order one in a heartbeat.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
You might take a look a Dave Beeler's Tracker longbow or his Trailblazer longbow. You didn't say whether you wanted a short (less than 60")or a longer bow (60" or more). The Tracker is a short longbow, while the Trailblazer is longer. There is no doubt that Jim's Thunderchild is an excellent bow if you are looking for a short longbow. However, if you are looking for a longer longbow, his Buffalo longbow is also an excellent choice.  Jason Kendall's Kanatai (sp) is also a bow you might want to look at as well.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Are you wanting a 1 piece bow, nice and lightweight....

A 2 piece bow, basically a one piece with the convenience of being able to take apart, makes it nice for transporting....

Or a 3 piece T.D., the heaviest of the three, but still have the convenience factor for transporting, and your able to get different limbs of different weights.

Think about those options a lot.  Figure out which you want, then look for your bow.

The bows listed above are all good bows, I'd say don't forget to check out the Shrews.  There are so many good bows.
 You need to check out all of the Sponsors listed above, and read the classifieds here.  That oughtta keep you busy for awhile.  Good luck.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Centaur is a great longbow, Big Jim's shoot very sweet too.. My buddy loves Shrews.  I can also recommend a Herwaybow, the XRTD is a very efficient takedown hybrid...
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

I looked at the Big Jims and I like them.  I would like a 3 peice take down or a 1 peice.  I don't like the idea of a bow that comes apart in the middle of the riser.  Just a mental thing I guess.  And I want a 60" plus

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
J.K. Traditions Kanati has to be right up there too, although I may be slightly biased.   :bigsmyl:    :D

I here many great things about the Centaurs. I can recommend Beeler hybrids as well, from my own experience. Same goes for LaClair's  Shrew.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Many-Many-Many great options.

The determining factor should be to ascertain if the bow is a personal match. Only you will be able to discern the compatibilty. A $2000 bow may infact be a total mismatch and $200 bow may fit you personally like a glove. If that was the case, then give me the glove.

There is no best bow, but there are best bows for you personally.

Do your best to try before you buy.

Best of luck!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I have owned, and still have some of all mentioned above. You will be hard pressed to find a better performing longbow for the money than the JK Kanati. Best buy for your money I know of in a forward handle hybrid. On watch for a backup for mine now. Easy as all getout to tune and speed dept up there with any !!

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
If you're considering three-piece, you might take a look at A&H ACSs and Morrison Shawnees.  they're my favorites.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Big Jims and also Black Creek Bows made by Jim Gainey.He is in Arley Alabama and also a sponsor here.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Many-Many-Many great options.

The determining factor should be to ascertain if the bow is a personal match. Only you will be able to discern the compatibilty. A $2000 bow may infact be a total mismatch and $200 bow may fit you personally like a glove. If that was the case, then give me the glove.

There is no best bow, but there are best bows for you personally.

Do your best to try before you buy.

Best of luck!
Ditto!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
The longest Morrison Dakota I could find.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Friend gave some good advice...you have to match the bow with your style, taste and budget. Recommend going to some shoots or clubs and looking and talking. I have a Leon Stewart Slammer Special and LOVE eveything about it. I picked it after a visit to ETAR held in July in Pa. Hundreds of bows available to shoot. Can talk to the guys who build them shoot them etc. Must be something like that near you. A lot of fun to know you can buy one and see sooooo many there and then ask one to be made for you with the woods, length and signed for you for you.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Stalker longbows, Black creek, Or one of sixbys bows,

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I understand about the personal fit and would love to test run as many as possible, but I just moved to San Antonio for work and do not know of any traditional archery shops around here.  I went to the local bass pro yesterday and all they carry is Bear and Martin.  Does anyone know where i could find better help in this area??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©