3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Flight Issues  (Read 186 times)

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Flight Issues
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:00 AM »
I am still fairly new to traditional archery but have gotten pretty consistent with my 50# Martin Hunter. I recently picked up a used Jeffery Royal Hunter TD from another Tradganger. I'm having issues with nock high arrow flight with bare shafts and can't seem to figure it out. I've spent hours searching past threads but still have questions. Here are the specs and what I've done so far:

The bow is 51# @ 28 and I draw 29. Arrows are 29 5/8" Gamegetter 400s with 145gr tips but haven't got to the point of tuning spine.I normally shoot 3 under, but after moving the nock point from 1/4-over an inch, I switched to split with the same results. I thought maybe my nocks were too tight and filed them down considerably but no luck. Brace height is centered within the recommended limits (after a call to Jeffery). I measured the tiller this evening and got 8 1/2" on the top limb and 8" on the bottom (measured at each end of the riser). From what I've read this seems a little more than normal unless I'm mistaken. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Tried videoing the shot but camera isn't good enough to clearly capture the arrow flight. Going to switch back to 3 under since that's what I'm comfortable with and slowly move the nock down from 1 1/4". I've done this already but not since filing the nocks down.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Flight Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:06:00 AM »
try shooting split with a bit more pressure on your index finger.

Good luck.

Hopefully someone with more brains than me will chime in here.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
You might try using an elevated rest,most bowyers use an even tiller for bows they make for 3 under.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Your not going to get very good flight with 1/2" positive tiller.  That's probably where your problems are coming from.

Is it a one piece or 3 pc bow?  You may have to have it retillered to get the flight your looking for.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Your not going to get very good flight with 1/2" positive tiller.  That's probably where your problems are coming from.

Is it a one piece or 3 pc bow?  You may have to have it retillered to get the flight your looking for.

Mike
Its a 3 piece. That's kind of what I was afraid of. Gonna call Jeffery Archery again today and see what they say. Hope I don't have to get more limbs or loose poundage, it was supposed to be a 55# pound bow to begin with. Wasn't until I got it and looked at the sticker on the limb that I realized it was 51. Anyway I'll give them a call and see what they say. I'll try adding more pressure in the mean time.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Just got off the phone with someone at Jeffery Archery. He told me to set the nock point a 1/2" for split finger and the 1/2" positive tiller is not a problem. Also said my arrows are way over spined but like I said I haven't worked on that yet. Anyway going to try it at those settings and pay attention to the finger pressure and go from there.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Well I tried all the above recommendations to no avail. I got my best flight at 7/8" with 3 under but it's still not great. Gonna take a break for a few hours and then track down one of the local guys with a lot more experience than myself and have him watch me shoot. Other than that I guess this bow and I are just not meant to be.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
1/2" positive tiller is a lot to overcome.  Besides looking funny I'm not sure there is a magic arrow spine for you.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Get the spine right on your arrows first then work on nocking point. What you are seeing in arrow flight may have more to do with spine then nock point.

I recently purchased a high end ILF bow which I set up to shoot off the shelf. Bare shafts were nock high but indicating good spine. Fletched arrows alway had a slight porpoise so I went from 175gr point weight to 125gr and now get beautiful flight.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I shoot the Gamegetter 400's out of my Hunter but they don't even come close on this bow. I'm going to have to get my hands on some more arrows to see what setup I need.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Shot some 3555's today and they flewgreat so I'm going to stick with that. The bare shafts still flew a little nock high but there was no problem with fletched. Unfortunately I have confirmed the limb twist I suspected. It isn't severe and should be able to repair it. Considering I only strung it once and left it before noticing the limb, I don't think I twisted it. Anyway, hopefully I can fix it. Thanks for all the input guys. I plan on doing some fine tuning with nock point, tip weight, and brace height to get my fletched and bare shafts grouping together but at least I'm getting good arrow flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©