3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello Everyone! Have a question for ya  (Read 696 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello Everyone! Have a question for ya
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Hello everyone just found this website and it is great! Im 18 years old and ive been shooting a recurve since i was 13 and ive been hunting with it since i was 15. My father hunts with a wheelie bow so he helps me as much as he can but ive pretty much taught my self through trial and error. And now i want to get a longbow and want to ask which bows do you guys like and work well, im looking for a durable bow that i can shoot with and hunt with. Also i want one that would be in the price range of 18 year old kid. Thank you.
                     >------> Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello Everyone! Have a question for ya
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
There are lots of great custom bows on the market these days.  My advise it to go to a shoot where you can try many different styles and go from there.  Once you find a style you like keep an eye on the Classifieds here and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Welcome to TradGang, Curtis.  Sorry, I can't help you with your question as the only longbow I shoot is one that I made.  Hang in there, you'll get lots of OPINIONS soon.  In the end you're going to have to try some and pick one that feels good and shoots well for you.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Curtis Welcome to Trad Gang. Don't sell yourself short cause you are young! Glad to see youth here. It's been several years, but I shot a Martin Stick Longbow once & was surprised at how well it shot. I was a recurve guy then. Up the scale in price a bit are the Howard Hill longbows, I have one & they are great once you learn the grip they like. They are priced lower than lot's of custom longbows. I shoot the Fox longbow too, but they are more money though a very good bow.I have shot the Bear Montana too & it shot well for me they are a bit more money than the Martin Stick. Hope I didn't just confuse you. Go to some trad shoots, I'm sure most people will let you shoot their bows to find out what you like. Good luck Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Welcome Curtis... I also can only echo what Tim and Dave have said. Go to a shoot or event and try as many as you can. And go with what feels good and shoots good for you. Good luck!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I think on the budget of an 18 year old you will find many nice bows in the classifieds on this site.  If you are looking for a new longbow try the Bear Montana or the Martin Stick.  You may also try to find something locally that you can shoot.  Also, some bowyers have stock bows that they can make a deal on.  

Glad to have you around our campfire!!!

Good luck.
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Curtis,
Your at the right spot for getting help. Try the classifieds and or *bay. I personally do not shoot "long" longbows. Unless your tall with a long draw you don't need a 68"bow. Buy a good inexpensive bow first to learn with. Customs can come later.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Welcome to the most helpful place in cyberspace.
Go to the classifieds, in the trad bow section post what weight, draw length, and $ you have to spend. Some one will come up with what you need.
Also PM me with what you need and I'll see what I can do.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mdbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Curtis,

You have one of the best longbow makers right there in your own backyard. Go see Tom Parsons and see what he has, at least you can get some great advise and possible shot a couple that he makes to get a feel for them.

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
I suggest you look at the Tred Barta bow from Three Rivers. I like mine and it shoots better than I can.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Hi Curtis! Did you make it to the Baltimore Bowmen Trad Classic? It was in May, and there were lots of vendors and shooters who would be happy to have you shoot their bows. The 3D shoots in the summer are wonderful places to try out new bows and see what works before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

Since you have been shooting a recurve, you may wish to look at longbows with a recurve-type grip. Then again, the longbow-type, with a lower wrist just may hit you as being what you were looking for all the time.

Look up the shoots that are in your area, or figure out which one you may be able to travel to, and make a point of trying all the bows that strike your fancy. Camp overnight, so you can shoot for at least two days. Everyone here will tell you the name of their latest love, but you need to find yours your own bad self!  :D  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
welcome Curtis Good on you for sticking  Traditional I totally agree with what the others have said go to as many shoots as possible and shoot as many different styles of bow as possible and when you find one you like go for it!  One bow no one has mentioned here yet is the one my 12 year old son shoots currently is a 46# flatbow from chekmate they are well made and reasonable in price but like I said shoot as many as you can and then make your decision Have fun Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
For a lower priced longbow, I'd recommend the Bear Montana. It has a locator type grip, which will ease the transition from your recurve, and it's an excellent bow in it's own right.

The Martin Savannah, while a little more expensive, is one of the finest bows you will find.

Good advice above on checking the classifieds. Sometimes you can find a real bargain on a gently used custom.

Good luck, and welcome to the Gang.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Welcome to Our  "TradGang Family"       !!! Dont be shy, ask awat on Anything You may have a Question about!!
      I Vote with the Folks Above, Check the Classifieds Here, These Folks are Square-Dealin'!!    :thumbsup:    :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©