3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back after Back injury.... some advise please  (Read 391 times)

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
Back after Back injury.... some advise please
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
I have a couple of herniated disks (lumbar region).... I refuse to allow the doctors to fuse them (the only answer I get from a bunch of docs)...
Since I have lost a lot of weight recently (and still have more to do), they are not bothering me as much and I am getting back to shooting..
I own three bows
Bear Magnesium TD 46#
Wing Chaparral 48#
Tom Cole Custom Longbow 54#
I draw 29"
I have been an archer since the dark ages and was at one time a very good target shooter (Rob might not agree with that LOL)...
I bought a Bowfit that goes from 34-50# and will be working with that in the house to bring my strength back up...
Does anyone have any other suggestions that will keep my from hurting myself other than just taking it easy and stopping when I start to feel pain or weakness when shooting.
I really need to get back into shooting... I miss it terribly and I feel that wandering the farm, stump shooting will help my mental and physical state... and most importantly my 9 yr old daughter wants to learn to shoot "like Daddy did"....
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back after Back injury.... some advise please
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Speaking as someone who DID get the fusion (3 disks) in my lumbar region, the best thing you can do is to keep your "Core" muscles strong. You'll develop the strength to shoot by shooting. However, to keep your back from flaring up you need strong stomach, oblique and lower back muscles to keep your spine aligned. Easier said than done for this desk jockey  :banghead:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Well maybe it is time to start using that YMCA family membership we got so the little one can go swimming...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I have lower back problems too (L3/L4) due to injury and arthritis. Swimming is good. I find that shooting, as long as I stick with closed or even stance, I am fine. If I go to an open or oblique stance that causes the back to twist at the hips.... I am looking for trouble. So I am careful that way as much as I can be.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Good advice Steve, and the swimming sounds good too. I was gonna chime in on the stomach toning, but you guys are all over this one!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
College athletics, have had two back surgeries, and eventual training with a physical therapist who worked with Olympians.  Suggestion:  Lots of core work; i.e. sit-ups, if done wrong can be counter productive for those of us with bad backs. Your lower back must STAY in a safe position while doing these excercises or you are burning down a house to kill a fly. (Wish I had known this earlier when I began to have back issues)

To find the safe postion:  Lay on your back on the floor with knees up.  Arch your lower back to extreme (lumbar away from the floor). THEN press lumbar FLAT to the floor- feel those two EXTREMES- total arch to flat.  THEN sightly arch your lumbar to MIDWAY between those two extremes. Feel it, get use to that, lock your lumbar in that position.  That is the safe position.

SO- if you do a sit-up (or any excercise, lift weights, take things out of a car trunk, etc) you must keep your lower back in that safe position.  It takes deliberate concentration.  You will find that if you come up too far your lower back will want to push into the floor- Don't sit-up that far! The only way I can keep my back in this position is half a crunch.  For lifting things out of a car trunk I have to put my knee up on the bumper.  The whole point is to always keep you back in the safe position.

If your back was healthy you could sit-up with lumbar flat to the floor, allow it to move, etc.  but NOT for a damaged back-which you now have for the rest of your life.

This technique has brought me great strength and activity without continued damage. ANY activity I do; shooting, yard work, lifting, climbing, sitting for long stretches, etc.  I keep my back in this position- if I do- I have seldom, if ever have problems.  

Good Luck
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
I cant add much of anything that hasnt allready been said here from other back challenged people.i did have 3 herniated disk about 5 years ago.I trained appropriatly and do the proper stretches to maintain flexibility and core strength..i still have flair ups but they last only for a spell.stretching is key for me.I came back from being about used up to doing hard core things that i thought i may never do again.Persistence and consistency in your exorcise priogram and diet is the key to good health and well being and quality of life!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©