3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PCH What length to get?  (Read 456 times)

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
PCH What length to get?
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Ok guys, I have bit the bullet and ordered a new PCH.  I initially wanted a 56" 56#@28".  I am 6' tall.  Vernon at BW has strongly suggested that I go with a 58".  I am mainly gonna be treestand hunting and turkey blind hunting with this bow.  I am currently shooting a Morrison 56" ILF Longbow.  I have a couple weeks to decide.  I have shot the 58" and liked it, but thought it might be better smaller.  Any ideas from owners out there would be appreciated.  I want to keep this bow and be happy with it, but I want it to be perfect.  Is there a noticeable difference, and has anyone got a 56 and hated it for whatever reason?  

This is a tough decision.  Thanks in advance.
Tom
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: PCH What length to get?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I draw right at 28" and I shot a 56"r...It was the bees knees!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I would go with the shorter 56" also unless your draw length is over 29". The shorter riser gives you more limbs, but that's plenty handy for blinds and other tight places.

What was Vernon's argument for a 58"?
Lon Scott

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
That's a tough question.  I've owned both a 56" and a 58", not apples to apples, as the 58" has bamboo cores, but it does feel smoother on the draw and I have right at a 28" draw.  If you are used to shooting a shorter bow, you probably won't miss the extra 2 inches.  On the other hand, an extra inch on each end won't matter a bit and you probably wouldn't even notice it.  Remember, a 58" recurve will be the same length or a touch shorter than a 56" longbow.  If you want perfection, I would go with the 58".
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I like Spurs

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
EASY - Don't follow the doctor's advice, and inviting significant detrimental consequences may be at hand. Obviuosly, consequences in this case, do not have the reprecussions as the aforementioned.

Listen to the professionals!!!

Note: Hunted  w/64" LB out of a std DB Matrix last year with a little trouble but mangeable (I am 6' 1"). Having been using a 62" hybrid LB this year out of my std DB Matrix and suprised to say that I have been quite comfortable. A 58" bow will provide you ample room. Not to sound like a hypocrite, I have a 56" Thunderchild on order. I initially was going with the 58" until Big Jim strongly urged me not to and that I would be doing an injustice to his 56" design. Have always preferred longer bows and even the 58"r was in uncharted territory. If I had little faith in my bowyer, then I sure would not order from them.

Also, note it would be finacially advantageous to BW if they could recommend, in good faith, extended draw ranges per their particular designs.

***Listen to the BW professionals!!!***
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
i have a 58" im 5'11" i draw 28 ,good gosh a very smooth bow,i anchor at the corner of my mouth ,i pulled it back to my ear a few times to see what it felt like,no pinching or stacking ,i too thought about a 56" er..
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I'm also 6' and have a 29'" draw.  My PCH is 58".  smooth as silk.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I have the 58" and love it

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
I draw 29", and haven't shot the 56" bow, but the 58" is smoooooth.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I draw 28 and have the 56". I had a 56" SA and this is a whole different bow, since the limbs are in fact 58" limbs on a shorter handle riser. I find every inch counts in a blind, but if I were hunting just from stands I would buy the 58"--longer limbs are smoother, I think.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I just bought a 56" and I love the bow but I only draw 27". This thing is very smooth but I think it is loud but I shoot it better than my long bow.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Wow, kind of a mixed bag.  As for now, I am sticking with the 58".  It is not a bit longer than what I am shooting now and I am very happy with the length of the 56" Morrison Longbow.  I loose a little sleep over this because I had my mind set on the 56 until BW sorta recommended the 58".  It just sorta broke my train of thought.  I was gonna buy used but decided that I would order exactly the wood that I have always wanted in a widow.  They basically told me that I was fine for the 56'er, but that as mentioned above the 58" would be smoother, and more stable.
I like Spurs

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Just a thought does anyone have a pic of these bows side by side or at full draw?
I like Spurs

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I know that the alure of a short bow is strong. But I want to shot a bow that makes me smile when I shoot it. A blind is always tight but I don't struggle with a longer bow from a stand. (For what its worth) I would go with the 58. By the way Vernon is scary sharp. Good luck term
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I would definitely go with the 58 incher. It will be smoother, less finger pinch, and be a whole lot easier to sell when you decide you want something else   :D .
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I am 5'-11 and I draw 29 1/2" with proper form, and I love the 58" not so much the 56".  Your height is not really a factor.  What is your draw length?  That is kind of critical hear.  Is your draw length correct with proper form?  There are few things worse than getting a new short bow and then finding out your form is not right and your new draw length is too long for the bow.  I have been there and done that as they say.  

I am a little surprised you shoot a Morrison ILF LB that is 56” if you have an average draw length for a 6’ guy.  There are not many recommended 56” Morrison LB ILF set-ups that will go 28”.  

One thing to consider is that the 58” strung PCH would probably be minimally longer if  longer at all than a strung 56” LB. I have had recurves and LB’s of two inches difference in listed length and no difference in length strung due to the extra length being eaten up in the curves of the recurve limb.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Go 58 bro.stop worrying about it. Its only money. And you can always peddle it to me
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Go 58 bro.stop worrying about it. Its only money. And you can always peddle it to me
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I think I will stick with the 58" Vern said it would be the same length as my 56" longbow.  I draw a smidge less than 28".  I am hoping that I have worked my form problems out.  I have been there and don't want to go back.  I am at my all time best as far as consistency.  I have also not put my hands on a 56" pch, but have shot the 58".  You all have been a big help at putting my mind at ease.

Oh and Bill, I really hope that I want to hold on to this bow.  I haven't held on to but one as of now, and you couldn't pry it from my cold dead fingers.  This is my second chance with the widow's.  I really liked my psa, but hated the asbell grip.  I just impulse sold the bow and would love to have the same bow back with a low.  It amazed me along my journey what a difference that a grip makes.  It also amazes me that once you have good form, you can shoot any of them. When I realized that I was doing things right is when it started becoming fun.  I actually realized why i like a certain grip etc.  I hand picked the veneers for this one so that is why all the second guessing.  I want to get it right.
I like Spurs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©