3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Road Trip with Band of Characters!  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Road Trip with Band of Characters!
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
What kind of guy would name a bow "Slick Beaver?" Maybe we better not go there.....

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
what kind of guy?  ... one of your best friends,  Marty
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Good times,stories and pics.Thanks for sharing.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I Will agree we all had a great time. Just got home and washed and will Tell a little tonight.

The Clintworths were indeed the most gracious hosts Ive ever seen.

Each of the six of us had a job to do, which I will give credit to in the up coming dvd Im putting together. Primal Nightmares.

Gene, Joey really looks like John Belushi in animal house.

I did learn alot about aggressive calling from Marty. He was also good for my self esteem . Hell, who wouldn't feel better about themselves after hearing Marty's life story.  Just kidding. I had a great time hunting with Marty. I got his double on video. When they were coming in, he said " turn on the camera". I told him the battery was dead.  He said some nasty things to me then.  

Biggie was in charge of climate control in the bunkhouse. We woke every morning to a comfy 40 degrees internal temp. I enjoyed his company as well as the low country boil he cooked the first night.

Shoeman was in charge of pain management  and meal planning. He's a hard hunter and hope to hunt with him again.

Hogdancer was a pleasure to be around as well. Although by the last day he was like Maj Pain. It had been at least a week since he had killed something and was starting to get the itch.

I want to thank Joey for inviting me on this mission. It ranks right there at the top for hunting trips in my life. I wish I had known all these guys 25 years ago. the stories they tell would fill volumes.

I took a bunch of pics but 29 hrs on the road was alot. Got to cut and bale hay tomarrow. I promise to get some up as soon as I can. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Congrats to all...you guys are quite a bunch of old longbeards!

Thanx so much for sharing    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Can't wait to see more.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
What a camp to be in. Congrats to all of you. Nothing better than good friends.

Randy
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »

Just testing my pics. got a new mac and unsure if it will work. If it does, yall can all see why Marty is so sweet. Much more tomarrow night. good night.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Batman sent me an invite to the "unveiling" this AM - Thanks, buddy. The others of this obviously infamous crew have really whetted up the "appetite" and I am ready for the video (to reveal all the secrets). If that camera don't work after all this "prep" you are in deep doo-doo, Don - LOL

I loved the group photo - talk about "dueling banjos" brought to life. or "man of constant sorrow". I kept looking for someone in that "flock" that needed any more of what was being scooped in that last photo (I'm convinced it is pure butter, ice cream, or mashed tatters) but I honestly couldn't pick out one "Hongry Man" in the bunch.

Sounds like a real hunt to remember, guys, and (from my own experience) you couldn't have had a better "newbie" (never thought I'd call him that) campmate along then "batman" Don. All of you should tuck this one away in one of your best ditty bags, to preserve forever (against your failing memories).

Good on ya all - I would like to see one consolidated list/post of the final scores though - I kept loosing count during the thread -    :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
We got out for a few hours on wed afternoon. I  wanted to see what was around and didn't carry my decoy with me. Had 9 hens and 3 mature toms parade by at 50 yds.

Next am I was in position with my attack trak decoy in position. The hens came back by and one of the toms. The last two toms came down the canyon and came right in the my set up in full strut. I promptly shot under one of them at 12 yds. and then over one at 25 yds. All captured on film.

I move my blind and stuff about 50 yds around a little finger of cedars and got back in around 3 pm. about 6:45 a few hens were getting close, coming down the draw. A nice tom dropped down in the draw and started strutting for them. When they were about 75 yds out, another tom came on the scene. I got to watch a knock down dragout turkey fight. The looked like a couple of game roosters going at it. When the fight was over the turkeys looked like they were gonna walk right in front of me. At the last min the hens lead them around the backside of my blind. I was able the drop the back window and shoot one of the toms from my knees. The hit looked ok and he flew over my blind and landed up the hill about 20 feet. I waited a few and tore my stuff down. When I topped the hill, He was laying there 5 feet away. I was tickled. My first Rio.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »

The last one is looking down at my blind from the hill. It was a neat little spot. I hope to see it again someday. More tonight. Don

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Ahhh - I can finally release my breath - LOL Great start, buddy. Nice Tom (and pics) from a cool hunt story. I like the panorama of the blind from the hill - sure looks like a place to be! Glad to hear you scored early - takes the pressure off so you can really enjoy the rest of the experience, huh -    :archer2:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Nice Don, I'm really enjoying this thread.  I like the "dueling banjos" theme song for this one.  As I read this thats what's playing in my head.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Slick Beaver I almost missed that part.  :laughing:    :laughing:
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Heres a picture of the Original Slick Beaver, "Marty".....what a rack on this guy! He was excited to see us, obviuosly

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Oh yeh, that's a group, alright - no wonder my buddy, Don fit in so good. I'll bet he told at least a few hundred jokes out there    :laughing:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
What a group!  I would be too nervous to sleep much with these characters around.  

And what about Shuster?  Did he kill anything?  Did he pull his trademark "Shuster act" and forget to bring any food?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
All I can say is that Joey's size made me feel good about myself!

Schuster brought tomato soup for his share of the food and when we went into the grocery store when we got there- he convienently said he had a conference call and stayed in Biggies truck! He missed the check out line- he taught me a lot!!!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Then he skipped on paying me his share of groceries. but in his defense....he doesn't eat a whole lot.

martys wears 42 and I wear 38s.   ...that's the math
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I wear my pants where u r spossed to- not around my knees.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©