3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Road Trip with Band of Characters!  (Read 4366 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Road Trip with Band of Characters!
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
LOL - sounds about right for a good campfire group. No wonder the Turkeys kept coming back - they wanted to see who was gonna be picked on worst during the next go-round -      :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marty:
I wear my pants where u r spossed to- not around my knees.
That's hilarious!   After looking at the "poster boy for KUIU" pic.....I think I have to agree    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Should have seen the the pic when High Pockets tried on my 38s............looked like he was hungry because his butt was eating the Kuiu.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Someone hurry up and change Martys name to High Pockets.  Thats a good one Joey.  

Marty is one of the nicest guys to talk with.  I was fortunate enough to be graced with his presence at the PBS a few years back.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Having met Biggie and Marty at PBS Nashville last year and hearing the BS exchanged between the two, and after reading Batman and Joebucks sparring matches on here, I can only bet you needed hip boots to wade through those conversations  :)  Great read fellas, and most of the pics are great, but that group shot is a bit scary...oh yeah all I know about hogdancer is that any critter near him gets killed. He's serious bidness   :notworthy:
Mike Davenport

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Should have seen the the pic when High Pockets tried on my 38s............looked like he was hungry because his butt was eating the Kuiu.
:laughing:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm checking this place out.  I've been looking for a place to hunt turkeys in Nebraska.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Since I killed my bird on day one and needed to save $ for next year, I decided to try and  get some footage of a new prototype decoy some buddies of mine from Virginia had sent me. I was really surprised when Joey asked me to tag along with him. Not nearly as surprised as Marty. He said " Man , Joey's never asked me along on one of his Blindless hunts".  We headed out  to the spot that he wanted to set up. It took him just a few min. to figure out where we would be able to see them  way before they were in range. I sat up the decoy while he pruned a cedar tree and drug some dead limbs up in front of his perch. I got up under another cedar about 10 yards up the hill from him. With the trap set, all we had to do was wait.  When he set the dsd hen , he realized he had forgot the decoy stake. I knew he was a REAL turkey hunter when He took a grizzly sitk out of his quiver, with a silver flame broadhead on the end and broke it off about 18" long and staked the hen down. Pricey stake. I learned more in the next 3 + hrs about turkey hunting than I have since I been turkey hunting.  Birds were gobbln here and there. He just did some soft clucks and yelps just to let them know where we were. Then every now and then another  set of Kee/yelps.  What i'm sayin is he did'nt call much at all, but when he did I thought it was a turkey. The man can sound like a turkey.  I couln't see out in front of us or to the right, but had a great view to the right. While he was calling, I saw a gobbler waaaay off on a hill. I'm talking 800yds at least. I can't hear good ,but I can see a long ways. He was in full strut and coming down the hill heading our way. I  said, " Big bird coming our way" . He couldn't see him from where he was. When the bird dropped off the hill and crossed the road, 3 hens came out to join him. I think Joey could see them by now. they were still a good 350 yds away. He did'nt call at all as I remember. They kept comming and the hens finally left him. Joey hit the button and made the decoy circle the track. The gobbler was interested . He came right on to us. At about 50 yds, I was trying not to cough and be still. The bird went behind a tree and I figured when he stepped out, I'd hit the record button. After about 3 min of waiting for him to step out, I saw Joey come to full draw. The bird had circled out in front of us and didn't come into my view until right before he shot. I did hit the record button right before the shot, but since I had the cam aimed at the decoy, got no footage of the gobbler. Just as well I guess. He shot over or under him. The turkey then ran back to the left and stopped 20 yds from me. Then headed up a little draw.  I called it a sucessfull hunt. Turkey came to our set up . two guys, one with swine flu, no blind , and managed to get of a 19 yd shot at an unsuspecting bird. When Joey found out I didn't get any footage, he fired me and made me hunt with Marty that afternoon. At least we got good footage of Martys double, which I know pleased Joey more than getting his miss on film. It was an exciting morning none the less.

I did take this pic from my spot. Joey is down there between me and the decoy.

This is the new hen decoy stake.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Did anyone mention that we ate good? We did.

Biggie cooked a great Low Country Boil the first night. For You guys that don't know what that is, It's shrimp, scallops, corn on the cob, potatoes, onions, smoked sausage, etc, all cooked togather and then dumped out on the table to feast on. It was great.

Marty is a handy guy around the kitchen as well.

These guys ate with the gusto of a hound dog.

Most of my hunting pics are on my video cam. I'll try and post some turkey pics  when I get them uploaded. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Dang Joey!  No wonder you haven't responded to my "how's the working out and diet going" emails?    :biglaugh:  

That hunt sounds "legendary" in about every sarcastic way one could mean that.  

Awesome stuff.  Keep it coming fellas.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
MMM-hmmmm, those Low Country Boils (in all their variations) are a classic in them selves!!! If you ever get a chance to fall in on one  - trust me, dive in face first - and don't come up for air until you're stuffed. Biggie was making them all a "lifetime-memory" right there, all in one fell swoop.    :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
next year Batman, I am going to film you. Your the Hitman. Shooting a walking bird at 20+ is impressive. I know now just watching you shoot the foam, I might have a colonoscopy the weekend of Clarksville IBO shoot  :) .

What did Schuster cook?

Counting the days till next year!

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
What did Schuster cook?... that's funny, he was supposed to be cooking with me come to think of it, and it turned out to be Marty helping me, don't know what happened to Matt,  maybe another "conferance call"
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Where's Biggie- He hasn't said a word???? Maybe he didn't have a good time.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marty:
Where's Biggie- He hasn't said a word???? Maybe he didn't have a good time.
I wonder too? Not like Biggie to sit quietly in the corner....
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline BA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Joebuck - did Tracy think you were off on some business trip or something??  Certainly she wouldn't have turned you loose with (or on) these characters...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
This certainly was a ruthless band of characters, both on the turkeys and on each other!     :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:    Great thread!

Joebuck, as a newbie to the world of blindless hunting I'd sure be interested to hear what sort of modifications to your set up you are considering...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
BA..she left me With the boys spring break so I had Points built up. now I am starting to mention AZ elk this fall. look forward to seeing y'all some this fall.

Whip...I am 11 for 11 on drawing on birds over last 3 years so the Zulu Shield is solid but I am going to change the oval to a trapezoid .  My welder ( batman) and me are hammering out details now.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Trapezoid?!?!?  
I've sure heard of hunting educated birds, but didn't realize they had progressed to knowing about geometry!!  
Man this is tough!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Trapezoid?!?!?  
I've sure heard of hunting educated birds, but didn't realize they had progressed to knowing about geometry!!  
Man this is tough!!
Thats a 4 star line  :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©