3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what about tabs  (Read 266 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
what about tabs
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I have been shooting for a few years and have shot gloves all this time. I have however found none that fit me right or they do not have the correct feel for me. I tend to anchor deeply into my jaw and most gloves tend to be rough on that part of my face. will a tab make this better and can a tab still offer the protection of a cordovan leather glove.
James Kerr

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what about tabs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
James

I had the very same experience with gloves...wouldn't fit right, not a good feel on the anchor, and rough on the face.

I went to a Bateman cordovan tab and it solved all those problems, with equal protection.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Did you get one with or without the finger spacer as I tend to have a lot of pinch as well
James Kerr

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Jim, what length bow do you shoot?  You shouldn't have to deal with finger pinch. I prefer a tab in its simplest form and as thin as I can stand it. Once used to this, I can feel EVERYTHING and am much more confident in my release.  
Over&Under has good advice. Cordovan leather makes for a fantastic tab.
David M. Conroy

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
Did you get one with or without the finger spacer as I tend to have a lot of pinch as well
I got the one with a finger spacer and the finger loop that extends above the tab not the one with the elastic loop on the back of the tab.  Best tab there is IMO.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Another vote for a tab.  The one I use the most is a Can't Pinch with worn off calf hair.  I tend to like the finger spacers.  Nice thing about tabs is that you can trim them to fit your fingers, release style and effect on your face.  Some people find that their accuracy improves by going to a tab.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I prefer my Bateman cordovan tab,been using the same tab for the past 5 years.Feels great and slick on my bows from 45# to 73#.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I've been shooting tabs for 47 years. Since I shoot low poundage bows, I get a cleaner release using a tab than with a glove.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
You can pick up a cheapy at many stores for around $7.

The cheapies aren't too bad at least you'll get a feel if you like em or not.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Shot gloves for years and switched to a tab for me a much more consistant release
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
What "JP" said x2.  I really don't see me going back to a glove anytime soon (if ever).  Release is so much smoother and really tightened up my groups.  I also have the Bateman Cordovan with spacer.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
I use a Bateman cordovan tab with spacer and elastic and really like the way it shoots, but I shoot about the same with the Duraglove and the Grizzly Wolverine SS glove. I use the Bateman tab the most because it is easy to carry, put on, take off, move to the back of my hand to get it out of the way, and wear over a light glove. I like it for many reasons, but there are times when I prefer a glove.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
I have Batemans in both with elastic finger loop & with the leather finger loop but both with the spacer, IMHO they are the best tabs out there.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
tabs allow for a better "string feel" than even the softest of gloves.  most any thin leather works just fine, been making my own tabs outta latigo leather since the 60's ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
My.shooting has really taken a turn for the worse . I think I my pull out my old bow strap and my even older can't pinch tab and make a day of it. If it goes well my order a Batemans that you all seem to like so much. Thanks for the inspiration term
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
I like the feeling of a glove. Does anybody make a glove with a tab sewn in? It would seem to be the best of both worlds. Pup

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
It's all personal preference, it seems. Some of the best shooters ever have used a glove and some have used a tab. Probably the only good advice I got from the "archery expert" I bought my bow from was to buy both and try them out until I decide which is best for me.
~Brock

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Heck ya!  Try EVERYTHING!  Thats the fun of it.
David M. Conroy

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I have had the luxury of trying a lot of gloves and tabs. In the last few years I have made a variey of tabs of various constrution and with either calf hair or cordovan. After a lot of experimenting I've settled on one similar to what Lenny Rock (Bob Lee) showed me at Denton Hill a couple of years ago. It is a 3 under with an O-ring  to put your middle finger through, and is of unborn calf hair with a palm pad, and backing. To me it gives a good feeling for the string and a smooth release.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
I've been making the change to a Tab and tried one of Don's Cordovan 3 unders like the one above. Great Tab! I ordered a Calf Hair today.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©