3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Change from #45 to #60?  (Read 285 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Change from #45 to #60?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Jumped from a  48# recurve  to a 62# Hill-style longbow.  It was like trying to learn to shoot all over again.  Still is frustrating as I come through it.

But the muscles are getting stronger, and the grouping is slowly tightening up as I concentrate on my form.

How much is due to the differences in bow design vs weight?  No idea, but I wish I had taken an intermediate step.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
It is a big jump but it can be done.

If you go right to the 60# bow don't start shooting it and expecting good things. Treat it like a work out, not shooting practice. Pull it back, hold a second and let it down. 3-8 reps, wait couple minutes do it again. Do this several times a day for a week or two and you will get there much quicker than you think. You can grab some dumbbells and work some of those muscles also to help. If you try shooting it right away  your form will fall to pieces and you'll develop some bad habits.

good luck

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
I'd do one increment inbetween, say 52#. Then to 60#. Remember, smooth drawing bows will not feel as heavy either. All bows are not created equal.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline HogoFogo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks again for your kind advise. It is a real pleasure to read all about your experiences.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I started with a 60# recurve.
After a long time...months..I was able to shoot 8-9 consistant shots.

I'm 6'2" 230lbs and not very tubby.

I switched to a 55# then a 45# (where I am now).
The 45# is by far my favorite. I don't feel any need to go up at all.

You're talking a big jump.
It can be done.
Why hurry it?
Trade and buy used bows to work your way up over a couple years. I think you'll enjoy archery more if you do.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I started with an 80# Mamba that stacked like crazy so when I dropped down to 60# it was a piece of cake. That was twenty years ago and I still shoot 60 to 65# bows the best. Just work up slow and steady and work on consistant form.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Use your commom sense & not hurt yourself. IMO you'll work up to 60# in short order by exercising with a heavier bow both hands. Draw in increments & hold each for a certain count.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline HogoFogo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
Sadly right now I don't have the money to buy some bows, (even used ones) in order to get used to the weight, so I will ask my friends to borrow me from time to time their bows.

Anyway, resuming all your thoughts I strongly believe that I have three options:
1 - Try to increase the weight from 5# to #5 until the desired weight is reached.
2 - Buy that darn thing (60#) and work hard accommodating with that huge power.
3 - Borrow from friends the desired bow in order to see how it works.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 03:50:00 AM »
Hugo, How about telling us about bowhunting in Romania?

Offline HogoFogo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
Well, there's not so much to be told. In fact bow hunting is strictly forbidden in our country (although hunting with shotgun is allowed...)
What we can do is to go to closest countries (Turkey or Hungary) where this kind of hunting is allowed.
In our country, we can do mostly field target practice, 3D shooting, etc. I know, it's sad because our ancestors leave us this wonderful heritage of bow hunting and now after 1000 years we cannot get it.
Is this evolution??? Are we a better civilized people without guns? I don't think so.
Here even the possession of a handgun is strictly forbidden,(but allowed to some elitists) but this is another story.
A great man once said: "Free man wear guns, slaves, don't".
OMG, I derailed from the problem... sorry.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
You can do this. Just take your time and work up to it. I believe it was Fred Bear who said "if you want to learn to shoot a 60# bow then shoot a 60# bow. You won't learn to shoot a heavy bow by shooting a lighter one."
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
change "learn" to "be able to"
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline HogoFogo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Gee, thanks Stan. I like Fred Bear's thinking.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I shoot 45-50lbs fairly easy whan I tried a 60lb bow I was short drawing and had trouble getting to my anchor.I'm comfortable at 48 lbs have found that at this weight I can hold anchor and still shoot well.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline kbaamigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I have a short barbell that I can go up to 75#'s on. I bend over a chair with one hand on chair and lift weight as if drawing a bow. Can work both shoulders this way. This has helped me thru the years.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Good one above Kent. Tie a cord across to better simulate pulling a bowstring. Exercise both hands equally & maximize your pull full. Should take 2 weeks or less exercising every 2nd day to get to 60#. Maybe start w/50# or 55#? Do at least 2 sets (3 is better but don't hurt yourself) of 10 reps each hand.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Go try a 60 and see if you can do it you might surprise yourself. Your not going to do it buy not doing it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©