3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Brothers  (Read 542 times)

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
Wensel Brothers
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
What kind of recurves do Barry and Gene shoot?

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Brothers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Barry shoots a Brian Wessel's Tall Tines mostly. I shoot Bob Morrison's.
 gw

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Hmm I was thinking one of you guys (Wensel Bro's) shot a Schafer Silvertip. Obviously I'm wrong lol
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Thank you Mr. Gene. I knew y'all owned some Silvertips from reading you and Barrys books. But was not sure if y'all still shot them.  I just ordered a Silvertip today. Do you like the Shafers...is there a reason you do not shoot them???sorry to sound over eager but I really did not expect the answer from the horses mouth itself and I feel privlaged to get your personal insite for I have idolized you and Barry for years reading your books and following the updates on your website. I have thousands of questions that I would love to ask you and your brother and would love to hear every story or suggestion y'all would have about tradional hunting white tail deer..

Again sorry but I couldn't believe it when I saw you replied.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
If Gene is the horses mouth, which end of the horse does that make Barry?  I'm sorry. That ain't right.  Lord I appologize...

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  Good one Hermon!
hunt it

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Hermon,you can't run far enough..good one
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Michael, come to one of the PigGigs. Gene and Barry had us rolling with laughter. And they ain't bad when it comes to more serious stuff (hunting). Don't be surprised Gene replied. They are both really great guys.
Colburn

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I doubt anyone would find that funnier than Barry. What few times Ive had the chance to yak with the brothers, I had a great time.

Barry rode the same plane into one of the PBS banquets years ago and we hit turbulance.....Barry jumped up and yelled..

"WE HAVE A FLAT!!"

snort......I was cracking up!

GodBless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Barry was close friends with Paul Schafer and pretty much shot his bow exclusively when Paul was alive. He lost most of his Schafer bows in a fire around 2000 and then started shooting Dale Dye bows until recently when he started shooting Brian Wessel's Tall Tines bow. Gene has a ton of different bows that he has shot off and on but has pretty much been a Morrison shooter the past 10 years or so.  Barry is exclusively a recurve shooter.  Gene plays with longbows off and on but is primarily a recurve shooter.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I knew he lost alot of Shafers bows along with some other things....that is terrible my heart hurts just thinking about it

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Barry was hunting with one of Paul's personal bows last year for a bit, it was a tad heavy,   especiallysince Barry has gotten so SKINNY.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
"Gene has a ton of bows"

2000# per ton / ave bow = 3 pounds = Gene has 666 bows and one spare set of limbs.

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
What happen to Barry. He lost some weight??

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I just saw this thread. Michael (Miller), it's Barry not Berry... and Barry is definitely NOT short for Barack! General Schwister... me skinny? HHHAAAA... right! Steve H, 666 bows is not a good number for a Christian guy to go hunting with. John V pretty much hit the nail on the head. I consider my bows more as hunting partners. I'm not necessarily married to any one bow. They're more like friends. There are a lot of absolutely outstanding bowyers out there these days. It all boils down to personal preference... be it beauty, feel, how you shoot it or a combination of all the above. I've stated before it's similar to one guy driving a Chevy, another guy a Ford and another a Dodge. They may be all fine vehicles but one just fits your fat butt better. After Schaf died in '93 I began shooting a bunch of bows by Dale Dye (and still do).. absolutely great bows. Let me say something about Dale. After I severely broke my arm in 2001 (and the resulting surgery) I was forced to drop my bow weight. Dale sent me two sets of lighter limbs to work my way back up. After healing I tried sending them back and he said to keep them just in case. I've never forgotten that. I've got a Fedora T/D that is one of the most beautiful pieces of cocobolo you've ever seen and has my initials inlaid in the riser in gold. It's a real shooter too. The problem is I'm afraid I'll get it scratched. Last year I started shooting a Tall Tines by Brian Wessel. Let me give you an idea of how Brian operates. I had my brand new TT at the PBS banquet in Nashville. When I wasn't looking someone knocked my bow over. The edge of the upper limb hit the corner of a cement pillar resulting in a small "blemish". I shot it and it was fine. Brian saw the bruise and said he "didn't trust it" and immediately made me a new bow. A whole new bow, not just a replacement limb. Customer service doesn't get any better than that folks! As General Schwister said above, I also have one of Paul Schafer's old personal bows that I occasionally hunt with purely for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. The bottom line is if we develop a personal relationship with our bows and their makers you'll become a better hunter. That's just the way it is and the way it was meant to be. Shoot straight.  BW

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Sorry Barry...If you notice I got it right on all my above post...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I think I'd keep shooting the TallTines...

Hard to argue with those results    ;)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
It don't matter what those guys shoot.  They shoot them well!  I LOVE that buck that Barry shot this year!  Great picture...great guy! Same goes for Gene....a couple of extremely influential people in my life...and the fact that they both have a great sense of humor is a plus.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
And did you see Gene pull off that Robin Hood on film with no editing on only his second attempt on their new DVD?!! Incredible guy! Mythbusters couldn't do it! That new DVD is available from brothersofthebow.com :>)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
A shameless plug for the new DVD... I'm telling you guys Gene's Robin Hood was done with smoke, mirrors and trick photography. I heard he hired the same guy that did Barack's birth certificate. BW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©