3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Length bow for a 27" draw  (Read 241 times)

Offline Want2no

• Trad Bowhunter
What Length bow for a 27" draw
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm interested in buying a new recurve but with all the choices I'm not sure what length to focus on.  I am currently shooting a 64" Hoyt Expert 40# @ 28  I pull 27.  I know I want to be 45-50# @ my draw.  I have tried a few in this range.  While there is a noticable difference from the Hoyt the weight is still comfortable. My hunting is done from treestands and ground blinds.  The 64"er just seems cumbersom for me in these situations.  What are your thoughts?
Jeremy

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Length bow for a 27" draw
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Your draw length opens the door, IMHO, to ANYTHING you like, want, can afford and buy.

ok, IM OLD, too many, IMO, worry about technicalities.

Buy the one you WANT or you will end up selling the one you buy (losing money) and go buy it anyway later......words to live by.

I've hunted with 52-70 inchers and all em have pros and cons.

I gave up treestands when I realized it was effecting my bow preferences....instead of going by things more important.>>>>TO ME.

All others do differently and that's fine. Just an observation of mine.

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
I have bows from 62" down to 50" I enjoy each and everyone for different reasons. Went to Hog Heaven started with with my Moab and had to switch to my 50" Ambush made by Two Tracks. I found it to be the perfect bow for tight spots. Chuck is a great guy to deal with and makes a heck of a bow at a great price.
TGMM

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
OR??? buy two?? lol
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Check the bowyers websites; most will recommend a bow length based on draw length.  If not, call and ask!  Every bow has a different draw curve; even among those with the same length; so there is no one single answer.  Someone is sure to chime in and tell you to go shoot as many bows as you can and pick the one you like the most.  Great advise if you live in an area that you can do that.  Otherwise (like me), you need to depend on the bowyers recommendations.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
with recurves and a 27" draw length, it will depend on two things - the design and recommendations of the bowyer ... and within that recommended bow length range, whether you require the shorter or longer length model.  in the best of all worlds, going longer in length with most ANY bow is always better from a shooter's perspective but may be a disadvantage from a hunter's needs.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Jeremy,

There is good advice in all that has been said here.  I will tell you that I have the same draw length as you and look for a bow that pulls 45# at 27".  I find that I can shoot a 64" longbow out of a treestand without a lot of difficulty, but it obviously doesn't work in most ground blinds.  I normally shoot a recurve however and will tell you that I have found that 62" works best for me because I feel that the longer bows are a little easier to shoot - more forgiving of form errors and generally smoother draw - FOR ME.  Now, that all depends on the bow.  I have a range of recurves between 57" and 64".  I have a 57" RER static tip that I took a deer with last year sitting down in the stand and I could not have done that with a longer bow.

Offline Want2no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Steve,
I like your wisdom of buy what you want.  I've always believed that and experienced it too!  

Doug, I've looked at the Two Tracks and they are on my list.  My problem, with all the customs seems to be access to shoot them.  It seems regardless of which bowyer I choose I would be happy with their bow based on polling info here.  Price will be the limiting factor, so I will most likely be buying used.
Jeremy

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I would try 58" for treestand and ground blind. Easy to shoot with no finger pinch. Of course I shoot 58"-62" bows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I have the same draw and I like a 58" recurve and a 62" hybrid long bow and a 66" hill style (of course with the hill style bow I only draw around 26")
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I have a similar draw length to yours and I personally like bows in the 56" to 60" range with the ideal length being 58" for me and my needs. I also frequently hunt from tree stands too.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I shoot 27"  and I have 56" recurves and 72" english longbows... remember the weight at full draw still feels exactly the same with any bow,,,, its what you want meaning what style bow tickles ya fancy 8^)
"Us vs Them"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
there are other matters to ponder, concerning draw length and ntn bow length, such as finger pinch and stack.  seek bowyer advice.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »
1Listen to the above advise "check with the bowyer"

2 ask what shooters are using in a certain model you are
interested in.

I shoot th same specs as you and no longer shoot  56" bows
i prefer 60" but can shoot 58" well enough.  However I will also shoot 62" but not go over that very often "even though I have a 66" longbow on order.  So you see it really comes down to personal preferance.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Find a bowyer you wnt to work with and and design the bow for you so it is the best shooting bow possible. With your draw length most any length is good
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©