3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 40 days in South Africa  (Read 625 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 40 days in South Africa
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
also been following your posts great stuff! looking forward to the pics
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Ok I'm going to try posting a picture, I aint a genius on the 'putor so it's on a wing and a prayer.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Well it seems to have worked.  That Croc is at the Crocodile farm and safely behind a fence.  There were scores of them and it was interesting that they didn't move at all for long stretches of time.  I ordered some for lunch and got a nice big 8 ounces or so cooked in garlic butter...yum.

IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/calgarychef/IMG_1121.jpg[/IMG]

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »

Here's a rickshaw driver out of the hotel window in Durban.  I wouldn't post the mundane "tourist crap" but someone was wondering about tourist things for families.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »

A BIGMOMMA this was in the Weenan game reserve.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
Following are a couple pictures of our accomodations.  Everything is made of stone, mud, poles and thatch.  I guess the thatch lasts around 20 years, about as long as ashphalt shingles. The floors are cow dung and mud, they are nice on the feet, shiny and hard, very nice actually.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »

A couple pics to show the "finer details" the sinks are made of old millstones that were left my natives.  The little things are what make it easy to stay for a few weeks in a place like this.  We all like to rough it sometimes but when you're paying for good accomodations, food, and service it's good to get treated well.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Now a few pictures to show the topography of the area.  It's bordered by the river on one side and high hills/mountains all around.  The trees are short and totally denuded below. This makes it easy to see game but the game can also see you.  When they stand under the branches of the trees they are safe from a bow because the arc that an arrow goes through on it's flight to the target takes it too high and it would hit the branches.

the river

A typical hillside, you can see an example of an acacia tree near the bottom.

An aloe, these ranged from 3 feet to over 25 feet high.  They were the only target I could find that wouldn't damage an arrow, especially the green part.

This is the bark of a tambouti (sp) tree, they are supposed to be poisonous.  It's my favourite picture out of hundreds, the light worked out pretty nice.

Another hillside.  Those hills knocked an inch or two off my waist!

Here's a typical donga or coulee as we call it.  the bottoms are flat and sandy and make great travel routes for hunters as well as animals.  I'd sit on the sides of one about 3/4 of the way up and use it as an elevated blind, that's how I got the kudu.  The dongas are very plentiful and a great way to hunt.

I finally took the time to learn a bit about my camera and started taking some black and white shots.  This is the river valley as seen from camp.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

There are thorns on everything here, from the smallest bush to the trees.

a nyala skull I found.

My "little buddy" who kept me company for about an hour.

My buddy Wayne (fujimo) did a bowbuilding seminar for the locals.

Here's the two bushpigs. I was surprised when I came to my place on the last night-fully loaded with gin and champagne, to see these guys in my bed.  They were as comfortable on the electric blanket as two pigs can be!  One cracked his eye open, looked at me and calmly went back to sleep.  I "shired" them out of there, but they know about my soft streak and came back to sleep at the foot of my bed.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

The kids loved the meerkats and if you would hold your arm low they would grab on with their paws to get lifted up.  Such lovable and sociable animals!  One of them got his paws burned off in the fire but he still hasn't learned his lesson, he likes to dig in the firepit for bugs.

Another kids toy!  A kind of millepede, I forget the Zulu name unfortunately.

Here's the team, Wayne and the two blood trackers, amazing little dogs that were put on the kudu track after we had already found it.  They were on it in a minute.  The ASAT suit was a Godsend and we were amazed by its effectiveness.

That's all for tonight, I hope I haven't overloaded this thing with pics.  I just want to help others to get an idea of what it's like "over there"

the chef

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
nice pics chef! Aloe ferox, used in pharmaceuticals can make jam from leaves too! The tamboetie is poisonous, trust me! The smoke contaminates food grilled on it and give a really bad headache. Useful though in cupboards repels moths and fishmoths, much like your cedar, lots of acacias in those valleys! Those valleys are sweltering hot in summer. Millepede is called a 'songololo' in Zulu. also 'shongololo' inedible  to almost all animals except for civet cats that can deal with toxins in body fluids.
Good selection of photos, did the decoy idea work out for you?
chrisg

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
looks like a great place.

i wasnt reading first, just looking at the pics and at the pic with the bushpigs in the bed i was searching for the wounds/ the blood and wondered why yyou place them on youre bed for a trophy foto.......
made me laugh at myself!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »

A view of the dining room, all the meals were buffet style but very good food.  When we got tired of eating inside Mark would get the staff to move everything outside under the stars.  There were barrels cut in half and filled with burning charcoal to keep us toasty.  It sure made the red wine glow a nice color in the firelight.

A great little gizmo for a braii.  The kudu ribs were nice and I'm not one for ribs usually.

My new favorite way to eat steak!  Called chanchas (sp) which means "to steal" you cook the steaks one at a time and slice them whle they are piping hot.  The guests dip them in coarse salt then in chopped green chilies.  A great way to entertain your guests, I didn this last weekend at my house and it was a hit.

One of the "girls" golden orb spiders.  Neat citizens of the area and they descend from the thatch at night and hang out with the guests. If you take a sip of your favorite alcholic drink and blow on them they scurry back up to their web.

Mark wouldn't let me shoot the baboons, although I easily could have.  He says that even though they are a pest and there are tons of them around..."they behave like humans and they die like humans"  He thinks that most people who kill these guys eventually come to regret their actions.  I have to respect that position, and it helps to illustrate Mark's love of the animal world.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Darn!  I don't know what I did there.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

Well I think I figured it out, but I'm not able to edit here so I guess I'll just put these here and you guys can figure it out.

Maybe the mods can do a little clean up work.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
The money shot!  I thought I'd leave this until last, hunting is about more than getting an animal and the other pics show that.

As you can see I hit him "a little far back" but I lucked out and got the big artery under the backbone.  He went about 150 yards, and I doubt it took him long to go that far as he ran fast.  

I've got some other interesting pics but I don't want to take up too much bandwidth...so I guess that's the end.

Thanks for riding along!!

the chef

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
What an awesome trip, thanks for sharing!  Taking the kudu on the ground is how I would like to do it, congratulations!  Do you mind if I ask some questions via PM?

Chris

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
nice kudu, mature bull with dark face and thick neck, yeah... the shot..uh! You sure did luck out! But then you put in the miles and worked hard, isn't the universe fair? Great thread and thanks for the stories and pics. Well done
chrisg

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
Looks and sounds like it was a fun trip! Congrats    :thumbsup:
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©