3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: effect of 10" taper  (Read 144 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
effect of 10" taper
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
I have heard that a tapered arrow is quicker to recover from the arrow paradox than a straight shaft and was wondering what other effects it has on the arrow, is the spine decreased, is the shaft weaker and more likely to break?

Offline kbaamigo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: effect of 10" taper
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I get great flight and a little more weight forward. Spine is not affected and I can't explain it but seem to have less breakage. A little more work but I like the outcome.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
If you do your own tapers then it will decrease its spine rating. By that I mean if you start with a 50# parallel arrow your tapered arrow may spine out at 47#. I shot tapered shafts for a bit and could not tell the difference. My brother, on the other hand, swears by them.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
They didn't hurt my shooting.
Can't say much else as tapers were my first type after I learned how to tune and shoot a bit better.

I shoot only 45#. I figure any foc/ smaller dia/ less energy "scrubbed" by achieving straight flight faster are all GOOD things.

I know my tapered shafts achieve straight flight after about 5 feet, maybe a bit less...and stay flying straight.

This is with fletching. And I'm talking punch holes. No tears except fletching in paper.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
It does reduce spine - but only by two or three pounds.  At least the way I taper the aft 12" does that much.  The shaft is no more likely to break.  Most breaks are midpoint & forward.  

It makes a nock strike 10% less (width of 5/16" vs. 11/32").

Aids paradox recovery, aids penetration, adds speed, moves c.g. forward.  All good things.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Very slight reduction in spine.
8-9" is usually enough. Beyond that spine decrease is more likely. The arrow will recover faster from Paradox what will give you an impression of straighter shooting. Another part is, they are more forgiving, since you move less mass with a sideway movement of the string when your release is not perfect. The nock will not strike anywhere with a correctly spined arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©