3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Turkey Hunt... Bad Ending  (Read 147 times)

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Turkey Hunt... Bad Ending
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Had an awesome hunt this morning which ended in the dreaded "M" word but a gobbling Eastern at 8 yards is just plain awesome so I thought I would share the hunt with you all.  

There was not much gobbling on the limb at first light but I heard a bird that sounded close enough to hunt and probably 300 to 400 yards from me so I set up on a small food plot where turkeys like to hang out.  I situated my decoy so the turkey would hopefully come past me to offer a shot from behind with his fan up.  I lightly called to him and boom the bird answered.  When he got on the ground I called to him one time and he answered.  At that point I felt confident that he was coming and about 5 minutes later I saw movement from the creek bottom and it was him looking for a hen but he had company.  Two jakes walking in front of him.  They came up to the food plot and the strutter was in full strut 8 yards to my right and he let out a gobbling boom.  As he stepped into the open he was in full strut staring right at me.  I still am not sure if the drumming was the turkey or my heartbeat! The jakes walked up the the decoy then he turned to follow and was strutting up to the decoy tail fan up.  When I drew my bow the jakes got nervous and so did I and I may have rushed the shot and then the "M" word.  What an awesome hunt though... it was my first time hunting without a blind.  I was wearing my leafy suit and unfortunately the only picture that I have to share is of my set up.  I will be back at it in the morning and we'll keep you posted.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Turkey Hunt... Bad Ending
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Fine attempt. My hats off to anyone with the ability to get THAT close to turkeys!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Awesome Hang in there. And stay at it you will get one. Great story.
Thanks for sharing.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I see it as good hunting... and good continuing  :)  Good luck tomorrow  :campfire:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Shoot straight good luck tomorrow morning

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Great story.  Good luck tomorrow.  I would just like  tosee a bird this year, to get a shot would be awesome.  The "M" word is no fun (I know from last year) but honestly it beats not even getting birds in sight.  Guess that is why it is called hunting and not killing.  You are getting the most important part done, the rest will follow. Good luck!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
A bad ending would have been a wounded bird!   :)
What happened to you was the second best thing that can happen when you shoot at a live animal!
It sounds like you had an awesome hunt! Good luck to you sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©