3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Afternoon of fun with the kids and new Samick T/D  (Read 193 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Afternoon of fun with the kids and new Samick T/D
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
My new Samick Deer Hunter T/D (50# @ 28) came in early this week.  I strung it up, twisted down the string until I got it in the recommended brace height, grabbed a few carbons with 100, 125 and 150 gr field points, kissed my wife, DeeDee, and ran out of the door to shoot at the dirt pile in the back.

After the first few shots, I realized a couple things.  First, the bow spits arrows out at least as fast as the 55# Hunter does and feels just as good in the hands with very little shock, if any.  Second, it was loud as can be.

So Wednesday night, I started poking around TradGang.com and immediately found a post by "Apex Predator" in the How-To titled "How I silence a bow string".  Lucky for me, DeeDee knits.  She had made me a nice camo knit scarf last year and had some leftover yarn.  After a few minutes and a bit of trial and error, I had two nice silencers and wrapped ends on the string.  (SBD is on order but you can't blame a guy for being a little anxious, right?)  Unfortunately, by the time I was done, it was dark, so I had to settle for a light pluck to notice the difference.

Here's a couple blurry iPhone pix.

Yesterday, I ran in the house, kissed DeeDee again, grabbed my new bow, two arrows with 125s, the 7 yr old's bow and three aluminums I set aside for him, grabbed Reed (the 7 yr old) and ran out to the back yard.  DeeDee took Henry, (the 2 yr old) out shortly after.  We had a blast.  I'd pick a leaf and shred it, Reed was coming REALLY close to a pine cone.

Here's Reed lining up a shot.

Henry thought it looked fun too, so here's Reed giving him some pointers.

Even Mama shot a few.  She's too shy for the camera though.     :D  
All in all, it was a fun afternoon.  Reed grazed the pine cone on his last shot, which was as good as a bull's eye, having been the second time to shoot the bow.

I'm impressed with the performance of the Samick and can't wait for the SBD to arrive.  The stock string will work just fine as a back up.  I'm glad I read the reviews of the Samick bows here on TradGang.com and am more than happy with my purchase.  I'd love to have the cash to throw at some of the beautiful custom bows I've seen here in these last few weeks, but that'll have to wait a while.

Shoot straight,
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Afternoon of fun with the kids and new Samick T/D
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Good times sir, good times   :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
looks like fun!  shootin at the backyard range is always a blast.
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that the bow whispers now with the silencing treatment.  Thanks for posting, AP!    :thumbsup:  

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I love seeing the little ones with bows   :thumbsup:

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Excellent pics! Samick makes fine shooting bows these days. You'll have a great time shooting it. Wait til you see what dressing her-up in an SBD string does to her performance. Silencers look good too. Thanks for sharing!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©