3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fighting Coons  (Read 179 times)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Fighting Coons
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Someone was telling me about a new way to hunt and kill racoons. There is a real problem with too many cooms in my area. One of my clients told me that he killed a pile of coons last winter using a game call. He would find a den tree and set up his game call. He would set it on fighting coons and told me the coons would come flying out of the tree growling and ready too fight. Wish I would of know about this earlier, great way to hunt them with a bow and you could get rid of some coons and sell some hides.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fighting Coons
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
It's not a new way at all and has been around a long time. Just like all calling sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

It is a fun way to try and hunt them if you have the time so good luck this fall if you try it.  :D    :archer2:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Sounds like it would be fun to try.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
That works well, but they also will come tp distress calls, especialy bird distress. We call coons on a regular basis. Its great fun. Most of ours are in abandoned homesteads and out buildings though.

Good luck

Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
My uncle and I used to hunt coons with dogs a lot in the 60's.  When the dogs treed, we used a "Coon Squawler" which did sound like a big fight.  It would more likely cause the coons to  show themselves than come down.  Either way, it should give you a shot.
Lon Scott

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
cool. haven't tried that. i need to invest in an electronic caller. i think that could make for good fun in the off season.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Saw a show on TV Mojo's coming to the call, they used an electronic call to call coon's with great success. I tried it using a foxpro caller and it worked for me also, was fun.

Offline Casper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
if you know where there den is located just take a walk on cold mornings an catch them sunning them self

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©