3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food Plots....Oats?  (Read 416 times)

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
Food Plots....Oats?
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I'm thinking about using oats in some food plots to add a late fall food source. Pros and cons for this food source? Thanks,

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food Plots....Oats?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Just fertilize the natural grasses-----works like a charm. Maybe seed some clover in there.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Ralph:

If you have established food plots the oats are an OK idea... frankly, any "green chop" is OK.  I would not make new plots just for oats.

As Spectre said you can fertilize what you have naturally and winter forbes will respond...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
First step is a soil test. Second step is good soil prep. Third is the seed, and I don't think you have to buy the crazy high end seed with a picture of huge buck on the bag. Oats work great.  

Plant a variety of items that will mature during the growing season, and also plant some that will overwinter and provide forage during the hunting season. One of the best resources I've found is from the University of Tennessee.  Its a big document, try   this one    for 40 pages of great information. PM me if you want more info or if the link won't work for you.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Ok, the only thing that I plant is wheat and oats.  I can overseed my first clover plots with either and they are not hard to eliminate out of the clover.  The oats are great for early archery.  They tend to sour in late December.  This is when the winter wheat is essential.  There are other grasses such as brassica crimson clover etc., but I have the best luck with wheat and oats and ladino clover.  I love rye grass for an attractant, but it is almost impossible to get rid of if you want to plant something else there.  It just seems to take over a field with these big clump like weeds.  I have spent much money in spray to keep the rye from coming back in my newly established clover plots.  My 2 cents hope it helps.  Tom
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I agree with spurs.  I also plant oats and winter wheat.  I would use a mix of wheat, oats, crimson, and ladino clover.  Also I would not buy an expensive name brand. Here is a link to a forum with alot of good info on foodplots.  QDMA foodplot forum

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Oats are an attractive food plot.  They won't last through the winter like winter wheat though.  Fall planted oats will die when the temp's get down in the teens.  I just get oats from our local seed store.  Shiny packabes don't mean better seed.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
We have clover, corn, soybeans, and some whitetail institute Tall Tine Tubers.  The deer really loved the tubers last year, as it was the first year we used it.  Total acreage in food plots is about 16-17 out of 350. Never have used oats, but the rest work exceptionally well here in Missouri.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Say what you will, Buck Forage Oats worked well for us.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tucker P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
i'll second Owlbait on the Buck Forage Oats!! thats all we plant in both Northern Illinois and NW Wisconsin and our plots are as green as can be through the end of our season in Jan...in Illinois our 2 acre BFO plot consistently outdraws the neighbors 80acre alfalfa/clover field thats only 150-200yds away...the BFO are pricey but from our experience worth the extra $...

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
they can make all the claims they want about B*** forage oats ,but I do not believe for a minute that this is a special variety developed specifically for deer.

To develope and certify a new variety of seed takes many ,many years and hundreds of thousands of dollars ............... I worked 28 years in the ag industry so I know a thing or two about how these things are done .......... it is my opinion that mmost deer seed companies take a public variety and bag it in a bag with a picture of a big buck on it and triple the price .

It seems to work too .. 8^) ....... they  sell it by the tons
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
It sure does work, we killed our 2 best bucks over BFO! We tried other oats, they didn't grow as well, last as long, or attract as many deer or turkeys. We didn't buy a ton, I think it was a 50# bag  :D
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
try "Bob" seed oats (not feed grade oats). they are grown in the same county in arkansas that a big name oat company is based .................. ladino clover at the feed store grows up to look just like the big name deer clovers and for either one the deer on my farm dont seem to care which one they eat ................ and yes I have grown the stuff in the fancy bag to make a comparison
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
This is great information. I was thinking about the BFO and really trying to weigh the claims for a winter food source and how reliable they might be. I think I may do my own test with BFO and a regular brand. I have a tough time buying the claims for all the deer specific brands and the cost. How much coverage would you get with a 50lb bag?? Thanks!!!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I plant oats and winter wheat at a bushel/acre.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Winter wheat is great in NW Texas. We have one 60 acre field planted in winter wheat..it's not uncommon to see 60-80 deer out there at once.

We have some smaller plots..20-30 acres that will also hold a lot of deer.  

Even our more secluded 1-3 acres plots will draw 10-20 deer in any given evening.

Did I mention I love winter wheat.  :)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
The farmer who rents my field used it for a cover crop with clover.

The bear sure liked it earlier in the year.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©