3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bobcat Hunting Tips?????  (Read 391 times)

Offline HyruleSanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Bobcat Hunting Tips?????
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I have look up some information on Bobcat Hunting and i couldn't find any reasonable info on it. Can you guys help me???? I haven't hunted much but i was seeing if i would get into hunting bobcat as well as other animals.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bobcat Hunting Tips?????
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
The only surefire way i know of is with dogs. I've never done it though...just been lucky enough to see one or two while hunting or driving down the hwy.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I've called in and taken 3 in the past with a Weems mouth blow predator call but have to admit a bow was not in the equation as I used a handgun.

For a bow and the movement required to pull off the shot, I would suggest a good electronic call with wireless remote in addition to a good long range mouth call... Set the electronic call down wind at a reasonable shooting distance with a piece of rabbit fur or something similar tied to a bush or tree and attach dacron momofilliment line going to your poistion.. Use the long range mouth call to get things started.  When the action heats up, swith to the electronic call.  Pull the string activiting some movement, with as little motion on your part as possible, and try keep his attention on the object and area the call is coming from..Don't over call as he comes in [ possibly switch to a "rodent call" if your electronic call has one programmed].

Besure you are in good camo and backed into or behind some cover.  Give them plenty of time to respond as I found it takes aprox 30 min to finally bring them to call.  You may easily bring in coyotes while waiting for a cat to respond..

Go give it a go and let us know how you do.     :thumbsup:    

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline HyruleSanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Thank you much!!!

This should be a great start to get me on the right track.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Casper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
you may want to make sure that eletronic calls are legel to use for Bobcats in your area before heading out.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
L.E. is right on about the electronic call with remote,a whirling woodpecker decoy to go with it is also a good idea.Be very patient as most bobcats I have called in were slow coming to the call.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline HyruleSanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Thank you guys i will see if it is legal to use a electronic call in my area.

Is it true that bobcats use down wind to help them?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by HyruleSanders:
Thank you guys i will see if it is legal to use a electronic call in my area.

Is it true that bobcats use down wind to help them?
Yep.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
What little I know about cats, I have learned from trappers, but there might be something to consider with hunting them.

When they travel they often use the same trail to the point of stepping in the same track.
They typically travel high ground with good visibility below them.

Here in Nebraska visual attractants are illegal over the sets, however at least one cat trapper I have visited with says his favorite attractant is a brightly covered bird on a stick like you get at the carnival.

Throw all of that in with a good blind, some calling and a lot of patience (They come in slower and quieter than coyotes) you have a starting place.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Elmer Fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Where I live, Sierra foot hills, the bobcats like hilly, steep, rocky scrub oak thickets where there is s lot's of small rodents, rabbits and birds. Bobcats come in slow to the call unlike coyotes. Most I have called didn't show until 15-20 minutes into calling. If I don't see a coyote in five minutes, usually two minutes or less, he ain't coming. try baby jack rabbit calls, rabbit distress, woodpecker distress. Be patient and remember they are creeping in. Don't be surprised if you call bucks in the rut, hawks, owls, fox and bear if they are in your area. It's easier than you think.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Sounds like a few on here definitely know what there talking about.. Good stuff..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Around here it might be one of those much bigger cats with long tails that gets called in.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I hear what you are saying Scott.

http://theindependent.com/articles/2011/05/09/news/local/doc4dc7e9550c48e050660170.txt

40 miles west of me and the closest mountain is at least 6 hours
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Calls are the only sure way to gettem close.  I won't pull the trigger or drop the string on one just watchem don't know why.  Had a female try and come in a bush blind once 'cause one of her kittens got behind me.  She knew I was ther and was not happy.  When I stood up and stompped she ran back and waited for her kitten to clear and then hurried her into the brush growling the whole time.  Just one of the great memories in the field.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline HyruleSanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Thank you guys!

Please keep the info comeing.

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to hunt bobcat? They are a pretty rare animal, at least in there parts. I don't know of an area overrun with them. Especially if you are a new hunter, why not try your hand at filling deer tags,rabbit and squirrels?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by paoloi:
Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to hunt bobcat? They are a pretty rare animal, at least in there parts. I don't know of an area overrun with them. Especially if you are a new hunter, why not try your hand at filling deer tags,rabbit and squirrels?
I suppose it depends on where a guy lives. They're thick here, but rarely seen b/c of their nocturnal ways. I'd definitely shoot one given the chance.

On the other hand, we don't have too many red fox in Texas. Plenty of greys, though. If I saw a grey, I'd shoot it. If I saw a red, I probably wouldn't. The only red I've ever seen was dead on the side of the road.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Every area has it's predators,here in alabama foxes are abundant both red and gray I've only seen a few bobcats,probabaly if I had the chance I'd just watch it and appreciate the opportunity.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
We are Loaded up with them here if FLA...

Not sure of the regs in you area but hunting predetors at night is always fun...

We see them all the time when the water is high and it pushed them to the dry dikes. We can ride canals by the dikes via Airboat and spotlight them....  There has been nights were we have seen 20+

I would say get some information from your local DOW office....

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I've called in a couple of cats too.

I called in both in areas that had a good cottontail population.

Used a rabbit squealer mouth call.  Trad bows were not in the equation either.

Actually one of them got to live because I had my .243 looking for yotes and it's not a legal weapon in Ga to shoot a bobcat with.

I'd also try creek bottoms and drains.  I see a lot of cats while deer hunting these areas too.

Both cats I've called in predator hunting were near thick clearcuts with water nearby.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©