3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Trouble  (Read 179 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Trouble
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
I have only been out 2 times so my season still has time but 1st day out I set up 5 yds in the woods in a gilly suit with my struting tom and 2 hens 20 yards out in the field with the jake pointing toward me with hopes the the toms coming between me and the deke for a 10 to 20 yard shot.  Anyhow I set up in a good spot the turks flew down out the the field about 100 yards away, 2 toms and 5 hens.  I got the toms gobblin and the hens yelping but they walked past in the middle of the field never getting closer than 50 yards basically ignoring my decoys.  Next day I went out and moved 50 yards in the woods to the landing spot, they flew down again but further than last time but about 80 yards away which was the closest they got as the walked the field ignoring me for a hour then walking into a strip of brushy hedge row where they meandered for a long time until disappearing into brush for a long time.  Then the 3 hens came out 1 at a time and walked across the field and with in 20 yards of my decoys in the woods I was set up in.  The Toms came out a different route and were down in a low valley in the farm field about 75 yards south of my set up.  My 9 yo son is out of school tommorrow I took a vacation day for us to go turkey hunting.  I have to use a pop up blind because as most 9 yr olds sitting motionless in not a strong point.  My question is set up with the pop up?  Should I put it right in the field where they have been landing? Or in the brushy hedgerow they went into yesterday.  Also lose the decoys or not.  2 seasons ago I had 2 toms run 200 yards to scrap with this guy (I lost my hunting land lease last spring and was unable to hunt) but this season they are ignoring/ avoiding them.  With a pop up and my son I think I need them to have something to draw them in where if I were going alone I would just sit in the hedgerow with no decoys and try to move to where they are going.  I am thinking they were shacked up with 5 hens and didnt care what this other guy was doing and decoys may work after a few days with those gals.  Anyhow set up suggestions or tactics would be appreciated.  I would love to bag one with my son!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
to me field turkeys are hard to hunt.But your problem i think are those dang hens.i think you and your son will be in good shape when those hens go to nesting. then the toms wont mind a little fight.good luck and remember terkeys are on thair own time.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
I hear you and agree on the field turks in the woods you can see where they are heading and at least try to belly crawl to a point of ambush or back out and set up an ambush where they are going if you know the woods.  In the field unless they come to you your done!  This farm I am able to hunt is 10 to 15 acre wood lots with 40 to 60 acre agg fields.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
If you know what route they generally travel try to get ahead of them and setup. I have never had much luck getting into them right off of the roost. I have had better luck from 10:00AM till 2:00PM when the hens have nested and the Toms are wandering around looking for a receptive hen. A pinch point or fence row are pretty good for increasing your chances at a close encounter.

You need to be where the turkeys want to go, not where you want them to go. Good Luck!
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks guys any other thoughts?

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Done with the decoys at this location.  Had a great day with my son even though no turkey on the grill.  But saw 8 birds 3 toms 6 anterless deer and quality Father son day o bonding!  The birds except for 1 hen avoided our set up by 60 yards again.  He had fun on the box call.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I put a hen 3 yards from my blind.  Then another hen and/or jake gobbler at 8 yards.  The gobbler should be facing you so the bird comes in to face you decoy.  Your shot will be 8 yards or less if you can wait.

The gobblers are with hens - very hard to call them away.  My plan would be to call a couple of times in the early AM just to make sure they know I'm there.  Then wait until I hear that lone gobble at 10 or 2 o'clock when the hens when to the nest and the gobblers are wondering around alone.

DON'T FORGET TO USE YOUR STRING TRACKER!!!

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I should have mentioned this year I just had my two hens out and had a number of gobblers come to 20 and 30 yards.  No closer.  Next day I added a gobbler to the mix and got a 5 yard shot at a jake.  Wouldn't have found him without the string tracker even though the only went about 60 yds.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©