3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ??? For Mule Deer Experts  (Read 495 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
??? For Mule Deer Experts
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Ok, here is the set-up.  

A week into the season, you have moved into a new area.  Three days of hunting, well, actually looking, you find a really nice buck that you would like to take home.  

It's about 1:30, the wind has been pretty reliable, but you can see the afternoon clouds forming up as they have been doing all week. The buck appears to be alone and is bedded down in a mediocre spot, could be better, could be worse.  It's going to take you an hour, hour and a half to get yourself in postion.

You are not alone in the area, you seen the occasional cowboy and have passed by several camps of hunters...but it's a large area.

So, do you go after him NOW, or save him for tomorrow?

Tomorrow you could get to your vantage point early, spot him, put him to bed, and have the late morning and the rest of the day to make your stalk...that is if he is still there!!

Today, well nothing is certain and a bedded buck is the opportunity you have been dreaming about all winter.  Sure, it could be a better situation but nothing is ever certain hunting big bucks.

What's it gonna be??

Why?

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ??? For Mule Deer Experts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Here in UT I go now. At 1:30 no one is out hunting and I can at least have a fighting chance of getting on the buck. If a storm is moving in, that even gives me a better shot of closing in without the threat of other hunters. If I wait till later, he's probably gone, but that's in this state. But I better make a disclaimer, I am no expert  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Expert I'm not , around here I find the bucks in more open country will pick up and move areas for no reason , nor do they run the same trails or use the same beds day in and day out around here.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Like said before I'm NO expert. That being said I would go after him. I try and take advantage every time I see a big buck. Doesn't always work out for me but I tried I guess. Like you said, he might not even be there the next day.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
My decision would be based on the other human activity in the area.  IF it looked like the area was "remote" enough and the buck was NOT going to be disturbed, I would wait for the following day and get started early.

HOWEVER, if there was a good likelihood of the buck being bumped by other human activity, I personally would NOT wait until the next day.  

I have been in both situations multiple times...sometimes it worked out favorably and sometimes not - when it did not it was usually because I was not patient enough once I closed the distance....

Now that I am older, I am a lot slower, but I still am working on the patience thing....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
The thing about mulies, Some have a "home" (a very small huant, of a few dozen acres) but most don't.  Tomorrow he might be 10 miles away or even double that.  They are more nomadic than whitetail.  If you see a buck you want to take, don't rush it, but don't let the opportunity pass either.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
No Question ,go after him now as long as the winds steady.Put on your knee pads and gloves and use every bit of cover to your advantage.On your belly you should be able to close the distance to 10-15 yards.Don't rush it.When your in position get ready and let him stand naturally.Take water with you it could be a long wait.Big Mulies are like gypsies he could be 10 miles away tommorrow.Take the first good shot he gives you ,you may not get another.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm with Steve, go after him. I'm guessing you are talking early season so even if it takes you 1 1/2 hours to get whithin bow range, it's only 3 PM. Unless the clouds coming really change the weather, the thermals should be good for a couple of more hours.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I would put the sneak on right then.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I would go after him same day, but I would not necessarily try to close the deal immediately.  If you spot a buck at 1:30 in the afternnoon, he's likely to reposition himself at least twice before he gets up to feed in the evening... and I would much rather try to close the final distance and make my shot on a feeding buck than on a bedded one.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Here in UT I go now. At 1:30 no one is out hunting and I can at least have a fighting chance of getting on the buck. If a storm is moving in, that even gives me a better shot of closing in without the threat of other hunters. If I wait till later, he's probably gone, but that's in this state. But I better make a disclaimer, I am no expert   :)  
X2. I am no expert either but I am with Ryan on this one.  I would go after him.  I tried to wait too many times pony to have worse conditions than I started with.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I would go now too. Very hard to pattern big muleys. He very likley would not be there tomarrow, even if you do put him to bed. Lots of varibles involved but you know where he is now, still alot of daylight left...why not.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
I would go after him now. If you wait, he will more they likely not be there tomorrow, or another hunter may take him. Take off your boots and go after him.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm a bird in hand kind of guy. I always make a move, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, but I never look back on the decision. Since I have switched to that mindset I have had far more shot opportunities. So I say go for it!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
I'm not an expert and don't do as much spot and stalk as I would like(terrain type I hunt)but I would be half way there by now. You only get so many conditions that are favorable to stalk a bedded buck,take advantage of the few if any you may get in a season.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
I'm no expert either by a long way and I have a big list of blown stalks on big bucks to prove it. But I would go after him.

That being said, I would bet a sack full of hundred dollor bills against a sack full of pennies, Mr. Big isn't alone... Look for that yearling or smaller buck (I call it a pilot buck)stratigically placed by the big one to blow your hunt for ya...

Good luck!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
Good advice above and I agree with those who say go now.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
Stalk 'em where and when you find 'em, mulies, especially big ones, don't hang out for long.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I've had my share of blown stalks due to what Just a Hunter said.  I would try and get myself setup and glass the area several times just to make sure his does or another buck is not out on the troll looking. I got lucky with this method three times.   The main reason why my stalks have been blown is because of an unspotted doe or there is a doe between me and old big boy and I get pinned down.  

Shawn

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I would definitely have to agree to go after him then.  Chances of finding that buck again are sure no guarantee.  Listen to Shedrock he is the muley expert!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©