3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A weekend at Tejon Ranch California  (Read 430 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A weekend at Tejon Ranch California
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Well had a great time at Tejon Ranch last weekend. Arrived at the ranch at 9 am was checked in in no time. Made my way to the camping area and set up camp. It was still way to early to go out but i just could not help my self so i geared up and headed out. Took a couple of pics on the way in:

Its about 11am now and I was right, way to early, nothing moving, the cows are even bedded down so like every thing else I cleared my self a spot and bedded down for a few zzzzz. Sacked out under a big oak, its about 65 degrees slight breeze blowing through the tree tops, man i could lay here all day. I almost did, opened my eyes and checked my watch, 2:30 pm. Pulled some power bars out of the pack and a banana, downed those and some water and thought about closing my eyes again but broke out the glasses and did some checking. I had climbed about 800 to 900 feet in eleavation before i sacked out so i had a good view of the canyon below and the ridge face on the other side. Still nothing moving so i decided to go for a little walk. About an hour later I saw a cow elk bedded under a tree and then these:

Looks like there just starting to grow some horn.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A weekend at Tejon Ranch California
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I make my way back to the canyon i started at, i know there are some hogs in there, sit back down and start to glass. I see about 7 hogs across the canyon making there way up and over the top, there was a couple of nice boars in the bunch but it was to far and to steep to attempt a stalk. No problem though i can hear the canyon starting to come alive. Below me and down close to the creek i can hear some grunting, brush breaking and squealing. I ease my way down to the noise, about a 400 to 500 foot drop. I’m about 75 yards away when i see some ears and backs. There looks to be about 15 to 20 of them, that’s a guess to thick to get a good count. It takes me about another 20 to 30 mins to get within shooting range. There all moving around, darting here and there as hogs do, i see a nice boar, pick a spot come to half draw, no shot to much brush. See another nice hog to my left, pick a spot get to half draw it steps out in the clear and teats hanging to the ground, let down no shot. (I don't like to shoot wet sows plus the ranch does not want you to either). I see some movement to my right, i spin to look and moved to fast, about half of the herd saw the movement and they were gone in a flash. All i could hear was brush breaking as they headed up the face of the canyon on the other side. I sit down with a big smile on my face, i love this stuff.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
So after i get the smile wiped off my face i start back up the canyon wall to get back to my glassing point. One thing about Tejon Ranch, your legs better be in shape and have a good pair of boots on the end of them because you will climb your but off but this place is classic California hog ground and beautiful to boot. I make it back to my sitting spot and catch my breath, i start to look around and i hear a sound like a piglet grunting but it’s so faint I’m not sure. You know how when your sitting there and your senses are 110% turned on, Birds in the brush sound like deer, squirrels sound like big bucks running through the leaves and every thing sounds like a big boar hog. Then about that time i can make out the sound of acorns crunching and then a loud grunt, no guessing now its hogs and they are close. They’re above me and to my right. I make about 15 yards and there they are about 30 yards out and feeding under a big oak. There are about 15 and some footballs also. There’s a big tree about 15 yards from them and its forked starting at the ground, if i can get to that i can shoot between the two main trunks. I cover the distance in about ten mins, I’m on my hands an knees, i get an arrow nocked and stand up slow, just as i get upright a nice boar about 150# sees the movement and does something no other hog has done to me before, he comes on a dead run right to me, he covered that 15 yards in a flash and stops about 4 to 5 feet from me and there we are staring at each other. For about 4 or 5 seconds I’m watching the hair in his nostrils going back and forth as he breaths. This wasn’t a charge, i could just tell, his body language had no malice to it. But after about 5 seconds he pealed off in a circle trying to get down wind to find out what i was, he stopped before he hit my sent and stood broad side at about 18 to 20 yards, i drew back and released in one not so fluid motion and this damb hog had me so flustered and shaken by the way he came running into me that i did not concentrate on the shot or pick a spot, i just shot at the hole hog and the arrow passed right over his back, 3" high. At the sound of the shot all the rest of the hogs start to move, i take a deep breath, get an arrow nocked as they are all coming by me but the only shots i had were at wet sows. Once they were gone i sat down and laugh out load at my self.

By now the sun is starting to fall so i make my way to the truck, its only Friday, i have ran into a bunch of Elk, seen about 35 to 40 hogs, had 3 or 4 shot opportunities and screwed up a slam dunk shot on a nice boar.

I did not see another hog the whole weekend but that’s ok. What a Friday afternoon i had.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Man, that had to be a blast! I hope to make a cross-country motorcycle trip next year and a hunt at a place like that would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Man oh man! There is nothing like that adrenaline rush from being that close on the ground! We don't have that kind of country to hunt them in my neck of the woods.
Beautiful country sir, and i can't wait to "hear" the rest of the story!    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Well that was it i didn't see another hog the rest of the weekend but that Friday afternoon was good enough for the hole trip.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Some of the best hunting experiences end with no animals dying. Your hunt was one of them for sure. Just being out in that beautiful country and seeing game, some pretty close, is what it's about. That's why we carry stickbows when we walk the woods afterall. I even envy your 'Combat Nap' Friday morning! I could easily imagine the relaxation of dozing up there. I'll bet life's everyday stresses were far from your thoughts, at least for that time.

Well told story. Thanks for sharing!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
 I even envy your 'Combat Nap' Friday morning! I could easily imagine the relaxation of dozing up there. I'll bet life's everyday stresses were far from your thoughts, at least for that time.

Well told story. Thanks for sharing!
You are 100% correct. I half kid my wife now and then and tell her that when its my time to go take me up in the Sierras and lean me next to a bid pine so i can listen the the wind blow through the tree tops as i go.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
i guess i shouldn't have speed read over your last two sentences above! Lol!
It sounds like you had a great time!  Thanks for sharing your hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
Awesome story Rick,sounds like you had a great time.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along.....hopefully we've got two more days of adventure, fun, and hopefully success to read.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the post Pops. I hunted Tejon a couple of weeks ago and got shut out too. Weird weather and an almost full moon kept a lid on things. At least you got into them!  Did you notice all of the blow downs on the jeep trails?  Rough winter this year...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of Calif........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Sounds great.  Thanks for sharing.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Very very cool - thanks man  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing....great pics!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME