3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: just found out why no turkeys came in!  (Read 293 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
just found out why no turkeys came in!
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
well I have been seeing them around up until the season opened so I went into the woods the afternoon before opening morning to set up my blind and hunted all next morning with my recurve to not have anything happen,, so I do it again and then a 3rd time and nothing...... well no shots around and nobody else seems to be hunting this area?????  

this afternoon I go out for a walk to scope out some deer sign and maybe find a shed and whadda ya know,,,,,, about 75yds into the woods past my property line is someones camp,,, seriously a tent in the thickets but under a big pine and stuff hanging from the branches, a cooler a fire pit,, I didn't enter it but looked from maybe 20yds??  

so I come out of the woods and start checking with neighbors and it turns out there are Homeless people or drifters who sometimes live back there and the cops won't do anything unless they do something first because they are actually on town property and this has been going on for about 10 years and they do leave and hitch hike south when it gets cold.  

I hate to mess with someone trying to survive and I don't want to stereo type anyone but forget the turks, I'm nervous I got a couple guys living behind my house in woods!!
"Us vs Them"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: just found out why no turkeys came in!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Difficult dilemma- but the city can shut it down.  Usually a lot of difficulty and crime goes with that scenario.  I would be calling my city commissioner.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Hey, everyone's gotta live somewhere! I spent a wee while homeless myself.
I say if they're not bothering anyone & they tidy up after themselves, leave them be. Live & let live.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
yeah thats what I'm thinking,,, I didn't go into the camp and followed the campers ettiquette and I was homeless before too so i can relate BUT where I have all the woods behind my house and I'm that house thats way back on the dead end road and I work 40 miles away with my wife and 8yr old there I'm just hoping nobody gets too depserate and comes poking around.

this isn't the city and theres no soup kitchens nearby if you know what I mean.
"Us vs Them"

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
and the cops won't do anything unless they do something first because they are actually on town property and this has been going on for about 10 years  
Its benn going on for 10 years, the police didnt do anything because they didnt do anything bad, well sounds to me that you have no reason to worry.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Very interesting scenario
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
If it's on your property why won't the police move them? Homeless or not, how do you know they aren't crazy and just waiting for a chance or for their meds to run out. Paranoid or not, I'd want them gone from my place. Ask the cops if they would want them on their property. I'll bet the answer is different from the one you got.
Fred...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Heck, go back and say hello. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean they aren't civil. You never know what kind of relationship might get started. Thats what I would do at least.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
EXTREMELY surprising that the local law enforcement agency will not do any thing . Homeless does not mean family LESS    if something happens to them On Municipal owned property   guess who gets sued? The municipality for sure!  ANd it will be the family of the homeless person/s!    todays day and age   the township/borough/villiage/city  etc is liable . They are dumb for not moving them just from that stand point.
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Heck, go back and say hello. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean they aren't civil. You never know what kind of relationship might get started. Thats what I would do at least.
Sounds like a  great idea.  

Just because they live the way they want doesnt mean we should be jealous.  In the future, they should be part of your turkey scouting!

I would take over a cake or something, maybe they can tell you wich way the turkeys went  ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:

Originally posted by leatherneck:
Sounds like a  great idea.  

Just because they live the way they want doesnt mean we should be jealous.  In the future, they should be part of your turkey scouting!

I would take over a cake or something, maybe they can tell you wich way the turkeys went   ;)  [/b]
:thumbsup:
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
call me paranoid, but I'd be teaching momma how to work a slide action. First thing I did when my wife moved in after the wedding....... Well..... Second thing. LOL

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
It always pays to be careful. According to all the statistics out there the majority of homeless people that are long term homeless have drug, alcohol or mental problems. This doesn't mean they are violent though but it isa hard living for sure. Hard times can happen to anyone but most of the cases without the above pull themselves out of the homeless situation in the short term. Here on Long Island we had people camping out in the woods but they were illegals sending most of their money home. There were a few cases of violence from them though.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I would go say hello but I would also have a pistol on my hip. Just in case they are crazy or high on something. I would go in with the intension of making new friends. Just can't be to careful.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I was thinking about saying hello and dropping off a gallon or two of water and a can of mosquito spray but my father said that can turn bad like feeding a wild animal they may feel welcome to come over to the property and ask for stuff and even though I love helping out,, what if they come around and its some nut case and then my kids out in the back yard (my back yard has a gate that opens to the woods so nobody has to come around to the front)

friends here at work said this is the big thing now and there camps popping up everywhere usually in that piece of woods right next to the off and on ramps of the highways you'll see the homemade tarp shelters,,, in the winter they all head south.
"Us vs Them"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
The question is an easy one, do you want them on your land, did they ask you, is that the respect you would give. And the simple fact that you have a wife and small child at home makes the decision easy if it were me, out they go.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Introduce yourself. Offer venison and/or turkey. They can tell you where any turkey might be. It's better to know them and learn their ways than to avoid them and always wonder.

I work with homeless in my job. The vast majority are just suffering from bad times. Some are criminal minded. Some suffer from mental illness.

Make contact with local homeless advocates and learn about what resources are available to them.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©