3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To all of you who hunt turkeys with out a blind, I salute you!!  (Read 262 times)

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, I had a few hours to hunt this morning, so I figured that I try it with out my blind.  The place that I decided to hunt is some what open hard woods, with a few patches of thickets. I've hunted these woods for about 17 years, and usually take at least 1 gobbler out of there a year.

I got to my parking spot around 430 this morning.  I usually have about an hour walk to where the birds traditionally roost. I threw on my leafy wear, my catquiver, grabbed my bow, and off I went. I stopped a few spots where I sometimes  get a bird going with an owl hooter, but no such luck this time, so I pressed on.  

About 515, I got a gobble in the distant.  A creek winding around the dirt road made it difficult to pin point his location.  I continued on the road as it started up a small hill.  I couldn't drum up another response. I climbed a little higher away from the creek and I listened for a bit.  a gobble added to the other birds churpin.  I knew pretty much where he was, so I started back down the hill and took another smaller road.  The woods start to open up a little more there so I wanted to get a bearing on him, so I owl hooted.  Nothing.

I sat and listened for a while, thinking that he was still over 100 yards away.  Nope he's on the ground and only about 60! I'm looking for anything to use for cover.  I laid my decoys down because I thought that if I tried to put them out the gobbler would see me.

The road that I was on went straight for about 50 yards and then had a bend in it, so I positioned my self behind an old knarly maple tree on the right side of the road, figuring that he was on the road around the bend. I didn't have any cover behind me however, I was hoping that the tree would block his view just enough to let me get a shot off.  So I knocked an arrow and gave a few soft yalps on my diaphragm.  He gobbled his head off.  he continued gobbling all the way in.  

I could see him walking quartering toward me just off the right side of the tree.  He veerd to where he was walking parallel to me on my right.  He went behind a large tree, enabling me to reposition myself for a shot.  hes now broadside to me at about 12-15 yards, as soon as I put tension on the string to draw, he took 4 steps and was air borne!  He flew up into a tree about 50 yards from me.

No more than a minute later and in walks a coyote pup. I gave a few calls to get his attention.  He walked around me and under the gobbler in that tree for a few minutes, then he walked off from where he came from.

All in all, it was an awesome morning. So far, I've been out 3 times saw about 15 gobblers and have had 2 legit shot opportunities including a jake that I missed on the 2nd.

I have to hand it to you guys who successfully get them with out a blind     :notworthy:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To all of you who hunt turkeys with out a blind, I salute you!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Your morning was better than mine.... I'm at work now.    :(  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Hey Mikey,  thats why I only had a few hours today.  I got alot on my "honey dew" list.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
My "honey-do" list is over six feet long! Maybe I'll get a weekend in hunting Toms soon...  :rolleyes:  Maybe........

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Going to test the ground blind of natural materials on Thursday. Had four nice toms coming, but they skirted the blind at 50 yards, even though the jennies they were following walked by at 15.  I think the arrows that came out of it Saturday and missed put them on alert to the large blob in the field, even though it was in a different location.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Very exciting hunt!  Thanks for sharing your story.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
No blinds for me.  I just find a nice tree to set up next too.  It's pretty exciting hunting like that.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I hunted all season without a blind this year. Its a blast but very difficult. I had 5 toms within 20 yards Saturday morning, and 1 jake at 10 yards. I didn't get any of them    :banghead:   but sure did have fun. I do all my deer hunting on the ground without a blind. Same thing, lots of fun but very difficult.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Great story. I enjoy hearing great hunts like theat. Thanks for sharing.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©