3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any DIY back country hunters here?  (Read 867 times)

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
Any DIY back country hunters here?
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
hey guys,  How many of you out there are DIY back country hunters?....

In the planning stages for a DIY back country Elk hunt this year in CO, just wanted to pick some brains.....

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any DIY back country hunters here?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I do a grouse hunting trip every year in CO (DIY). Its the only way to go. I'm trying to get the funds for a DIY elk hunt this year. LOTS of public ground. There's just no place like the rocky's in September! Good luck!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Well... depending upon your definition... I think I am. Went on my first DIY Backpack Elk hunt last year. No other hunt compares (IMO). Planning and preparing now for this September.

It didn't hurt that I took my first elk, a young bull, on that first DIY hunt. It was a hunt organized here at tradgang and the new found hunting "buddies" really added to the experience. 7 other guys I had never met and not one bad experience had.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I been out to CO 2X on DIY hunts. I am 0 for 2 on elk. Those mountains are awesome! Both hunts were in wilderness areas, rented a couple llamas in '08.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
Well... depending upon your definition... I think I am. Went on my first DIY Backpack Elk hunt last year. No other hunt compares (IMO). Planning and preparing now for this September.

It didn't hurt that I took my first elk, a young bull, on that first DIY hunt. It was a hunt organized here at tradgang and the new found hunting "buddies" really added to the experience. 7 other guys I had never met and not one bad experience had.
That’s great to hear you had a successful hunt, especially being that it was a DIY and the first one at that…  Isn’t it nice when all things come together as planned?!?....

I personally have never hunted in CO,  My hunting partner  has hunted in the  Vail area  before(not sure of the exact GMU), last year he had some issues with hikers out sightseeing,  nothing major but he said it seemed to be crowded…  We have been doing some research and plan on going up to the steam boat area(again not sure of the exact GMU).  Seems to be some decent country and from the research it also seems to have a good elk populations (I think that’s typical of all NW CO..)

We plan on going in September towards the latter half closer to the rut

Any advice on that area or others?  Or advice in general for hunting elk DIY style?

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
General advice?
Be in the best shape possible. Have great boots that are broken in. Have a great pack that can handle the loads and that is comfortable.

Have some solid bushcraft skills, including orienteering, first aid and the gutless method of breaking an elk down. Know elk habits, and habitats. Know some basic cow talk.

Practice shooting uphill/downhill, and know how incline/decline influences the kill zone on an elk in relation to bone structure.

Oh yeah. Did i mention be in the best shape possible?
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm in for 2011! Get in shape, running is great if you body will handle it. I ran a 5K this weekend with my 6 year old son.

Mountain biking is another great way to get in shape.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
YEP but i use horses...any thing i can help with just pm or email me.

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Ditto on being in shape,can't start too soon with cardio-vascular excercises as well as strengthening your legs. 9,000-10,000 ft elevation will take a lot out of you....quickly.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
When I was a wheelie bow shooter I read "Backcountry Bowhunting: A Guide to the Wild Side" by Cameron Haines, and while he is a wheelie bow hunter this book is mostly about how to do the DIY bowhunt.  Oh yeah and Durp, he does recommend horses.

Pack light, be in shape and have a plan.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
As far as places to go. Up around Steam Boat is a great place. Also there is a town just west of Steam Boat called Hayden I believe. North of Hayden is a combination of public and private land. Around 20 miles north you'll run into California Park. Thats where I grouse hunt and last year I saw over 100 elk in that area. I was wishing I had my bow and a elk tag instead of a shotgun and my dog    :knothead:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I have done it several times with a core group of guys and we have taken several different hunters with us over the years.  Good advice so far about getting in shape.  It's amazing how little oxygen they keep in that air at elevations higher than one is used to.  

Good equipment that is light weight is a good goal.  Once you carry something on your back all day it seems a lot heavier than when you pick it up at home and think "that's not too heavy."

For clothing think layers.  You can wake up to heavy frost or snow and end up with 80* in the afternoon in September.  Lots more good info can be found from any number of good folks right here.  Keep asking questions and you will most likely get good answers.  If you have more questions and want to PM feel free.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I failed to mention in my post that it was actually my fourth elk bowhunt... just my first DIY wilderness pack in hunt. Never connected on my other hunts.

It is a GREAT EXPERIENCE (whether you connect or not).
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Solo in AK and CO for 7+ days.  Going back to CO again this fall and can't wait.  I love the challenge of preparing and surviving alone out in remote wilderness.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Sure wish I could...

:campfire:
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Done this many times.  I've found that the miles from the road doesn't equal good elk densities as much as does getting away from people.  I've hunted several areas way back in, but near a trail, and now try to study pockets that might be only a mile or two off the road, but have tough access.  As said above, go light as the pounds on your back and arms will keep you in camp when you should be moving around.  One problem with later in the season is the muzzleloads will be out in force. Any time in Sept. in CO is a great time to be there.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Me.  This year will be my 6th hunt.  I've been to CO, UT, and ID. All great hunts but I have yet to get my first elk.

Here are some pics of my tarp setup from 2008.  

2008 Elk Hunt  

Here's Idaho 2006 Pics.

2006 Elk Hunt
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Mr. Scifres, Elk or no elk, your set up is great. Your pictures are excellent also.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses...  Im pumped,  Between my new hobby of building bows and planning/preping for my hunt next fall my wife is pissed..LOL

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Hey, that green tarp looks familiar!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©