3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any DIY back country hunters here?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any DIY back country hunters here?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Love those pictures,it seems that I live 50 weeks every year just thinking about those two weeks in Sept.
Tim

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I have gone into the wilderness several times in colorado. As said above you need good skills,common sense and great cardio. Take your time, rest the first few days and your trip will be much better. I have never used horses but wished for them. All in all with a few friends you will work for a good long day packing one out. Bone out the meat,use game bags hung high and in the shade and the meat will be fine. Have a good trip

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
One thing very important to know about Colorado- it is the responsibilty of the hunter to make SURE you are not on private property. If hte area you hunt is pocketed with private ground, study your maps carefully, and if need be check with the locals.

Even if its an accidental trespass, the law is tough, and the fines stiff. Not to mention the locals do not take too kindly of it, regardless of your excuse.

They do not have any requirements to post their property, and just because its not posted doesnt make any difference.

That said, so landowners will try to claim part of surround NAtional Forest lands as theirs, and attempt to force you off. If you are sure you are on NF land, you have every right to be there, even if the rancher has guide permits for the same area. Some will tell you they have the hunting rights to the NF area around the ranch. All that means is they can legaly guide hunters, but doesnt mean its not still available as public hunting land.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
My last elk hunt in Colorado was up in the Black Canyon country. I was a smoker and had to use oxygen to keep the headaches away. 20-some years later I am a nonsmoker and in way better shape. Ditto-ditto on conditioning. I just gave up running for good and now am hiking every other day up steep hills for four miles.

But all that said, I would strongly suggest checking out a drop camp from a good outfitter (in Washington it's the Washington Outfitters and Guide Association; in Oregon it's the Oregon Guides and Packers Association) and take plenty of game bags, plenty of rope and some pullies to hang the quarters.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
I backcountry Colorado as a non-resident.  I'll be heading back this Sept - PM me if you want some info.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Get in the best shape of your life, the altitude will kill you. Buy the best and lightest gear you can afford. DO NOT overpack, layer your clothes and only bring one extra underwear and socks. Pratice,do some shake down cruises near home.
Enjoy and charish the time spent in Gods country.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
... it is the responsibilty of the hunter to make SURE you are not on private property...

...That said, so landowners will try to claim part of surround NAtional Forest lands as theirs, and attempt to force you off. If you are sure you are on NF land, you have every right to be there,...
A couple of excellent points. And try to be open minded at first- not all landowners are jerks. They appreciate politeness,even if they are not going to let you on the property. Not always easy with some people...

I would look into a good, light water filter. I save weight carrying one over walking out of camp loaded with a days supply and I don't like tablets. On hot days pushing to cover ground you can/should drink a LOT of water.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
Not quite a DIY, but this fall I will be going with just me and one other guy, but we are backpacking in and living it out for several days. I can't wait! There is something about being alone in the wilderness that makes me feel alive.
~Brock

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Great info guys.  thanks for the tips,  when i get closer ill post my gear list

Ulysseys- PM sent....

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
It is the best hunting I have ever done on my own. Once your back there and the packing is over then the fun starts. Do it with some good guys and you will never forget the time of your life.   Widow

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Back in the 80's went into The Bitterroot Wilderness Area for about 3 wks. Went with some guys I worked with in Ga. and we rented 10 horses for a mo. and bought all the gear we needed. Wall tents, stove, cots, pack saddles, etc.....everything.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I would recommend having plenty of water in your pack. Last year I hunted with a 64oz. water bag but am adding a second one this year. I got tired of having to go for water. My wife is sewing in a second pocket in my pack so that I can fill both at once.

I found that I needed a lot more water at 9000 - 10500 feet elevation than I do back here at home (600 ft.). I used the tablets from Wal-mart plus I carried a filter bottle for quick drinks when needed.

Have fun.

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to do 9 DIY hunts in Colorado.  The first trip was the only one in which I stayed at a cabin and most of the rest have been backpack trips into the backcountry.  Backpacking requires a lot of attention to gear to ensure there is no duplication.  Another great alternative is to find a local outfitter that will rent you a pack animal for the day.   This will allow you to lead the pack animal with your gear back in to set up a spike camp away from the crowds.  Once I drop off my gear I take the animal back out so that I do not have to contend with caring for a mule or horse while I am trying to hunt. It never hurts to make sure you have arrangements to get pack animals once you are successful to get your elk back to the trailhead.  I have packed out elk quarters on my back and with the use of pack animals, there is no doubt that I prefer the use of pack animals for that task.  Good luck on your trip.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
I have done both DIY hunts plus I have guided for elk. DIY hunts can be very rewarding but don't expect a whole lot of elk killing the first few years. It generaly takes several years to figure out a area. Its hard when traveling great distances to hunt in unfamilar country. Even when guideing we have to adjust to where the elk have moved to and it may take a day or so to find which drainage there in. Horses do make it easier for being more mobile but there is also a lot of complications with large animals. If you want to just kill an elk I say it would be cheaper money wise, more relaxing(its big country and can be very stressfull to some), and if you chose a good outfitter and get a good guide you will have better chance to get on some animals. If your going to go DIY plan on picking an area and hunting it for the next 4 to 5 years. Jumping around is generally bad but I am not saying to stay where there is no elk at the moment either. DIY hunst will be more money in the long run but if you are that kind of hunter and enjoy the chalanges its worth it. Just plan on multiple years to be sucessfull.

From what I have seen from a guide stand point is this. Elk are generaly in rough country when on public ground the easier to hunt the more people so rough and way back in is where the best hunting is at. Your physical condition will dictate how hard you can hunt. Do not try to fool yourself if you are not in good condition. It takes people in good condition a few days to acclimate to the thin air. Every one practices shooting up hill down hill what ever. Thats a big part. But for what ever reason when its crunch time and you have a bull in your lap screaming his head off guys fall apart. Do a mental boot camp if this where to happen what would I do? Why do you think the military has boot camp its not only physical its mentally preparing for combat. Even if you are a seasoned hunter you are going to have to talk yourself through it when Mr. Bull is takeing a leak on you. Study elk anatomy and I mean study it. If you can not tell me right now how the front leg bone sructure is set up, where the back of lungs come to etc etc you dont need to even be out there. This part should be on the top of the list even before practiceing it dont matter how well you  shoot if you aim for the shoulder blade! It happens all the time. As far as I am concerned ONLY broadside shots should be taken. I know slightly quartering away is great for deer but elk have a big grass bag to stop arrows with. If you have any questions just ask I would be glad to help.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Really not trying to be smart     :D      :campfire:  

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Have any one of you guys hunted GMU 's 214 or 131 in CO? My buddies and I have narrowed our selection... Any insite?

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
KSDan you are absolutely right.Best bunch of guys in the world to hang out with are Trad hunters.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
214's a pretty good area. We've hunted it 4 times now and are just now getting to know it well.

Be careful. We found that the California Park area is in a draw unit; NOT in the OTC. (According to the game warden we met.)

Be in good shape. Stay hydrated. Pack light. Try not to duplicate if on a party hunt.

The mountains all look good from Google Earth. Remember that when you're on one slope, you can't see the surrounding slopes because of the foliage.  So keep in mind where you are and have a good GPS unit and compass.

Elk completely trust their instincts. No questioning time like a whitetail. If the wind swirls (and it does a lot) and you feel it on your neck, you're busted.
Romans 8:28

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Some day.  Make sure you're in shape tha can put a damper on a hunt if you're sucking wind.  As mentioned practice up and own hill angle shots.  Perhaps stretch your range a few more yards, these aren't whitetails in the back lot.  Best of luck to ya.    :thumbsup:    :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:00 AM »
I have been lucky enough to bow hunt elk on my own (sometimes with friends, but no guide)(all public land) for the last 16 years. I have killed around 14 elk and called in quite a few for friends (I have called in two bulls that scored over 385 gross that friends shot)(both times it was their first elk), a couple years I didn't get any and a couple years I got two (multi-state and additional cow/calf tags). My biggest bull has been a 333 out of AZ. I did kill a 307 bull in CO. A 285 6x6 in AZ, A wacky, big 3x6 in WY and all the rest have been 5x5's average for the unit I hunt in WY (one calf and a cow). My advice is to not only get in good cardio shape but, get those legs strong(lift weights). Get to the elevation at least 3 days before the hunt (more is better). Have fire in the tent. I like to be comfortable. On backpack trips I use a Kafiru tee pee with a stove. Plan to hunt the whole season. Be a sharp woodsman. Carry survival gear, map, compass and GPS. About 3 ways to build a fire. Some kind of rain gear and shelter (extra large trash bag can be shelter). I like a camelbac and find that I drink more water with it. On backpack trips I use a water filter. The better caller you are the better your odds of killing an elk. People kill elk without a bugle. I kill most of mine with my bugle and aggressive cow calling. If I can make him believe that I am breeding his cows right there on his mountain and they're likin' it, it seems to get 'em mad. Get in away from people and cover some ground.  Good hunting. Almost, forgot. The first time you call a screaming bull to 15 yards, try to control your breathing because you will be hyperventilating and you won't be able to control your heart rate or shaking body. The tunnel vision makes picking a spot easier. Concentrate on not peeing your pants (or ware something that wicks moisture). I have found that after you kill a few elk, it's just as exciting as the first time. The adrenalin high should last until you get the meat out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©