3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's see your fur tracers  (Read 692 times)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's see your fur tracers
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't see how they could alter flight, as they are pretty much weightless, and too soft to matter if they hit the shelf. If your arrow is hitting the shelf, you have other tuning or form issues.

Yes, they help you see your arrow in flight better. I can see how they would help you find an arrow better too, especially if your fletching is in subdued colors. Another thing I do to help locate arrows is add a strip of reflective tape or wrap somewhere on your cresting. I use reflective wraps on my hunting arrows, and just a 1/2" strip on practice arrows. After dark they really jump out at you when a light even gets close. It just might help recover a Deer someday, who knows, and it can't hurt.

Mine look very full and puffy, the way I like them, because I use the 1/4" Rabbit strips for fly-tying. I spiral them around the end of the arrow, about two turns around. It takes about 3/4" of space between the fletching and the nock. I use adhesive wraps, and rough that area just a little before I apply the contact cement, and clean with rubbing alcohol. I don't have any problems with them staying put.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I don't see how they could alter flight, as they are pretty much weightless, and too soft to matter if they hit the shelf. If your arrow is hitting the shelf, you have other tuning or form issues.
Sounds like your method or tracer is better than mine. I bought the kind with adhesive backs but when attaching them to the arrow they created a significant "bump" which encircled the arrow. Obviously the fur itself is no problem, but the bump seemed like it was catching just enough of my strik plate? rest? or something? and kicking the arrows a tad.  Without the tracers my arrows fly really well...i've even had other guys comment on it.

Oh well, I only spent $5 on the pink ones. They did show up really well in flight, though.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I think your "seeing" the bad flight now, where as without the tracers you just couldn't see it!   :confused:
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
TxAg, that may well be the case with yours, I've never used the pre-made type. The Rabbit fur strips are only as thick as the skin, and Rabbit is pretty thin skinned.

If you want, PM me your address and I'll send you enough strips to see if these work better for you.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by SS Snuffer:
I think your "seeing" the bad flight now, where as without the tracers you just couldn't see it!    :confused:  
I know what you're saying, but that wasn't it either. The arrows with tracers just weren't shooting accurately. They were consistently several inches off while the normal arrows grouped great.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Whoops. Duplicate post.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Danny. Thanks for the generous offer. I can't believe the good will around here. I met another tradgang member this week who was equally generous.

I'm game to repay the favor any time I can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©