3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: california miniumum draw length  (Read 710 times)

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
california miniumum draw length
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Okay can someone help me translate the california regulations instead of stating a draw weight like 45lbs it says a bow has to be able to cast an arrow horizontally for 130 feet, what bow weight does this?  :dunno:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: california miniumum draw length
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Horizontal or not, all hunting bow weights from 30# and up can cast an arrow 130 feet. To sum up, 130 feet is just 43.33 "yards".

I would imagine a 25# bow could easily cast an arrow horizontally for 130 feet (43.33 yards), but I wouldn't go bowhunting with it.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
No arrow at any speed below infinity stays horizontal for 130 feet, or any other distance, as long as gravity still works.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
so do you think a mid 40ish recurve shoting about a 10 gpi arrow would be  fine

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Horizontal as in 130 of horizontal travel, not a horizontal arrow track.  It's woreded that way to prevent someone shooting straight down out of a treestand 100 feet in the air and claiming that's 100 feet of travel.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
It's 130 yds!!

I just looked up the regs.

"No bow or crossbow may be used which will not cast a legal hunting arrow, except flu flu arrows, a horizontal distance of 130 yards."

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Mike is correct. No broadheads narrower than 7/8ths, and bow must be able to shoot an arrow 130 yards. No weight specifics...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Gufunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Yep looks right to me got them right here
Excel 21" w/Kaya Tomcats 40#
Excel 21" w/SF Axioms #35
Morrison Phoenix 19" w/ Max 1 #48
Toelke Lynx 66" LB 50#
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~ Ben Franklin

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Mike is correct. No broadheads narrower than 7/8ths, and bow must be able to shoot an arrow 130 yards. No weight specifics...
Hey Beach hows it going. If im not mistaken and i could be the regs state that the broad head my not pass through a hole 7/8 inch in diameter.

I am to lazy to look it up so to all that need to know look it up before you take my word for it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Sounds like here in Virginia.

•Broadhead widths must be at least 7/8-inch wide or expand upon impact to 7/8-inch.
•Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
bayhunter----if the the broadhead is sharp, and flies straight, and you hit em where your as supposed to, that setup will kill cleanly.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Well i could not help my self had to look it up

"Bow and Arrow Defined: A bow is any device consisting of a flexible material having a string connecting its two ends and used to propel an arrow held in a firing position by hand only. Bow includes long bow, recurve or compound bow. A legal arrow is a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter. Mechanical/retractable broad heads shall be measured in the open position. No arrow with an explosive head or with any substance which would tranquilize or poison any animal may be used."

Under:   IT IS ILLEGAL TO:

"Hunt with bow or crossbow that will not cast a legal hunting arrow, except flu-flu arrows, a horizontal distance of 130 yards. T14-354(f)"
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
You know...I've never went out to see how far my arrow shoots. I wonder if a 45# with 4-5" feathers would do it....?

Seems sorta weird to classify equipment this way.

Funny how the "arrow" is defined only by the broadhead.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
That has got to be the dumbest archery law around.  How in the world would a field officer know or measure that one?  Just hunt with what you can shoot.  I am all for meeting the law, but when no one can measure it in the field you can't really meet it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by wtpops:

Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Hey Beach hows it going. If im not mistaken and i could be the regs state that the broad head my not pass through a hole 7/8 inch in diameter. [/b]
Means the same thing doesn't it?  :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
i thought we in pa. had some stupidly wrote hunting laws but this one tops most.
remind me not to move to cali.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about this law. Like someone once said, "Some laws are just made to be broken" and this is one of them.    :biglaugh:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Stupid thing is, pretty much all 'proper' bows (ie; not solid glass kids bows) shooting 8-10GPP should be able to easily manage 130yds.
Heck back in England I regularly used to compete in 180yd clout shoots with a 32# recurve! My arrow trajectory was nowhere near the 45º 'optimum distance' angle. Even the kids shooting 18-24lb bows could manage the 120yd Kids Clout without much difficulty
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
That's interesting Rob.
I guess I can be pretty darn certain I'd be good to go in Cali.

That does seem to be a really stupidly worded law that doesn't accomplish what it was intended to....to make sure hunters could dispatch game "humanely"..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
that just doesnt make sense

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©