3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: california miniumum draw length  (Read 713 times)

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: california miniumum draw length
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
You guys have to understand this is the "Republic of Kalifornia".  It's an entity onto itself.  A land of radical leftist thinkers.  It's a state that mostly do not permit concealed carry, but one of our two senators and some more notable local politicians do have the coveted permit.  What can I say?  

I see all these pictures posted, and many are shooting in their own back yards.  We have to be careful here.  Some cities do not allow that.

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I need to clarify my previous post.  In the second paragraph, I meant to say "I see all these pictures posted here of TradGang members shooting arrows in their backyards."

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
What i dont get is how could a dfg officier in the field measure this to make sure people are following the law and would a dfg officier do that?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
So tell us, ye who live in more enlightened states, how do your state regulations read for bow poundage?

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by bayhunter:
so do you think a mid 40ish recurve shoting about a 10 gpi arrow would be  fine
Yes. Mid 40ish will do it no problem.
Now go get some meat!

CJ

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Ragnorak Forge----Just one of many "dumb" laws in a state where the fish and game laws were made by politicians and not biologists and wardens.  This is the state where cougar hunting was banned by a state constitutional ammendment, by means of a ballot initiative.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Welcome to California  :(
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
I have always thought California Fish and Game laws were as clear as mud.  :)

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
I agree with all of you in that it is a stupid way to have the regulation written but like California & here in Virginia & other states that have this type of regulation it is intended to keep most hunters honest in using equipment that is capable of a ethical kill but still have it where some that can not shoot 50+ # bows be able to hunt.

I don't agree with the way it's written but it is what it is, I'd much rather see the regs state a minimum of 40# or something for a hunting bow..
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:

Originally posted by wtpops:

Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Mike is correct. No broadheads narrower than 7/8ths, and bow must be able to shoot an arrow 130 yards. No weight specifics...
Hey Beach hows it going. If im not mistaken and i could be the regs state that the broad head my not pass through a hole 7/8 inch in diameter. [/b]
Means the same thing doesn't it?    :D   [/b]
Not really. On 3 blade heads you can have a mesurment of less than 7/8 inch from blade to blade but it still will not pass through a 7/8  inch hole. With all that I dont think there are very many Fish and game guys carring around a washer with a 7/8 inch hole in it to check.   :saywhat:  

The difference is not much and the reg is strange but this is California after all   :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
bayhunter,
I did it.I actually surpassed it,with a 37 lb recurve,at my draw and a 500 grn arrow.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Those archery laws and regulations have been in the books for decades, are very similar to most other states, and of course are open to interpretation.

Yes, California is leftist, but it has little to do with its archery regulations.  Some guys just can't wait to say something negative about California.  Its getting tired.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I grew up in California and I can say with authority, it has the best weather of any place I have ever lived.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
If anybody thinks California is leftist, I suggest you visit San Diego....which I can say with authority, has the best weather in the world and crappy deer hunting.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Washington requires 40 lbs @ your draw length for deer & 50 lbs for elk, moose and other large game.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Ishi was a Californian, as was Saxton Pope, and Arthur Young, and for a good chunk of their lives Chief Compton and Howard Hill.  

If I remember correclty, Roy Case was instrumental in creating the archery season in California, and the regulations probably date from his era.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
During the few years I lived in SoCal I solo hunted the remote areas of Big Bear for a week at a time. The rangers would stop by every other day to check in on me and make sure I had a cold camp and a license and tag. Bow weight or broadheads never came up but they were pretty amused at me using a recurve.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Traxx im really happy to hear that 37lbs will get the job done now i just need to be able to pull that, the bow im shooting right now is only mid 20s but i also have a bowtrainer that i try to use everyday to build up to a heavier draw weight.
Northwest_Bowhunter i couldnt agree more i just saw another forum where people said it just snowed i felt kinda bad considering it was 60 degrees today  :p

Offline K Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Ragnarok Forge,

Page 69 2.a. of the Washington Big Game Regulations states:  

"It is unlawful for any person to hunt big game animals with a bow that does not produce a minimum of 40 pounds of pull measured at twenty-eight inches or less draw length."

They meant to say 40 pounds at the individual's draw length, but they didn't quite get it done.  

The 50# minimum for elk, moose, etc... seems to be gone.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I grew up in California and I can say with authority, it has the best weather of any place I have ever lived.

Guess that would depend on what part of Ca,you are talking about.Ca,has a very diverse,topography and climate.Everything from extreme high mountain to low Desert.In the part,where i grew up,i can remember twice,haveing snow on the 4th of July.To lump Ca into 1 category,as some have done on here,is foolish and leads me to believe,that some have never been there,before they made such statements.Trust me,there is a world of difference,between ,North and South Ca,not only in topography,but in attitude as well.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©