3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Groundhog help  (Read 619 times)

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Groundhog help
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I shot a groundhog and hit it well but it wasnt more than ten yards from its hole.  i got a clean pass through (snuffer) so it had no trouble entering its hole and of course its still in there.

What are some ways to get that thing out. i shot it about a half hour ago and i know its dead.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, John

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Groundhog help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Start Digging Maybe??  :clapper:    :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Why you want it out?
Gonna mount it?
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
no but id like to recover it just for the sake of getting it. i guess its already buried though!

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I have left many already buried. This will be your easiest option. If you are full of energy try and dig him out but I am sure you can think of better things to do!!!!
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
My dad always told me you could get a strand of barbed wire, run it down the hole, and twist it around. It will catch in the groundhog's hair, then you can drag him out.

I never really had the need to try it, but it sounds like a good idea.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I hunted ground hogs for years before I moved to the south. I have lost many down the holes. The holes can be very deep. It is probably a waste of time to try to dig it out. The only instant kill I ever got on one was I hit in the ear, thru the brain and out the other side. That one dropped dead. Many dozens of others always ran for the hole after being hit. If it is a pass thru, they usually make it into their hole.
John

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
we use to use a slim green limb with a small fork on the end for twisting in the hair/hide of game in holes. gotta take your time and not pull to hard to fast. we always had a dog near by on ground hogs and other critters that size. made things interesting to say the least.

I know a tree rat twisted on the end of a green stick can be a handful.

dang' reading what I just typed takes me back to a VERY, VERY special time. folks just don't enjoy the woods like we did growing up. if it went up, we brought it down....if it went underground, we dug it out, if it ran we chased it and, WE ATE IT ALL. LOL

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
One thing to consider, kill a female now, ya probably kill a den full of little ones too.... Just saying...

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Put that barbed wire on the end of a plummers snake. Hap

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I know a fellow whose farm we used to hunt on who went after one with a three gallon can of gas and a match.  Ended up opening a series of trenches, putting a lot of dirt in the air and losing his eyebrows.  No woodchuck (or at least it didn't land on his property).

He was a hoot.  Had terrible teeth so his family collected a bunch of cash to present to him to get them fixed.  He used the money for an elk hunt and had a huge rack he proudly displayed on the side of the house.

I do miss him.

Sadly, you will lose woodchuck with a bow.  At least we always did.  At least you don't have to bury them.    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
One thing to consider, kill a female now, ya probably kill a den full of little one too.... Just saying...
And that is a good thing for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
With regard to A.S.'s comment concerning the barbed wire. In the very early 70's my dad hooked me up with a back woodsmans from a place called Panther, KY. This gentleman slammed on the brakes one time as we were driving at night and jumped out of the truck, ran and grabbed a oppossum, dropped it in a sack and tossed in in the truck bed, jumped back in the truck and we proceeded on. We were taken by all this and he just drove off as if nothing unusual happened.

While squirrel hunting with him, we saw a couple of squirrels dive into a narrow hollow log. He cut a piece of barbed wire and cranked out the two squirrels. We ended up getting both of them. I am still amazed nearly 40 yards later.

He accomplished the aforementioned as simply as eating a boloney sandwhich.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Ground hog holes go really deep and have multiple passages. It would be a miracle to get it out if you ask me.

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I shot them with a stick bow as a young teen growing up in Pa. If you know the holes well watch the chuck as it feeds and try to put the sneak on it so you end up between the chuck and his hole. Not always easy to do. With you between the chuck and his hole you will buy yourself an extra couple seconds after the arrow hits. And wear work boots. As said...they often have multiple holes. Geeze...I loved stalking them. I still remember my first one with a stick bow. Bow was a 50 lb Dammon Howatt high speed. Shot the chuck at about 8-10 yards with a field point right in the back of the head. I think I was 12. I still remember the orange dipped wood arrows I had. I have a pic of one I shot during a break taking high school senior exams. Stalked right up to it. At a few yards it dawned on me it was sleeping. Very odd. Out in the open on the mound by his hole. Shot it at about a yard. They were "Ground Grizlies" and I might as well have been in  costal Alaska. As a kid wanting to be like my boyhood mentors I read about, woodchucks provided me with plenty of stalking opportunities and stick bow action.  
Do not overlook eating them. They are great! We had "Grammys groundhog roast" every summer. She made them with a shake and bake type preparation. Really good! Holy crap...I have redneck roots...proud of it to!
Get bamboo.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
The Magnus Blunt was designed with the intent of cutting down on lost groundhogs and rockchucks. Works great too with bows of 50# plus.

As with anything, arrow placement is key.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Well, I was going to say "bowfishing rig," but that Magnus blunt looks pretty well suited too. - John

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
They are tough critters.  I got lucky and made a head shot on one with a judo when I didn't know well enough to use broadheads on them.

I would say forget about the one down yonder and go shoot another!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:50:00 AM »
 With regard to A.S.'s comment concerning the barbed wire. In the very early 70's my dad hooked me up with a back woodsmans from a place called Panther, KY. This gentleman slammed on the brakes one time as we were driving at night and jumped out of the truck, ran and grabbed a oppossum, dropped it in a sack and tossed in in the truck bed, jumped back in the truck and we proceeded on. We were taken by all this and he just drove off as if nothing unusual happened.  While squirrel hunting with him, we saw a couple of squirrels dive into a narrow hollow log. He cut a piece of barbed wire and cranked out the two squirrels. We ended up getting both of them. I am still amazed nearly 40 yards later.  He accomplished the aforementioned as simply as eating a boloney sandwhich.  
You don't forget good stuff like that   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
They are a tuff critter, hit one mid ship and they are lost. With that said they are a nuisance animal and gone is good, although I have been told the young ones are  good eating. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with a recipe.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©