3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
At the recent Compton board meeting one of the lively topics of discussion was how we can increase awareness and membership in Compton Traditional Bowhunters.  

I'm just curious how many of you already belong, and more importantly for those that don't, what might make it more attractive for you?  

One area we hope to improve on is people who attend the rendezvous in June.  It amazed me to find out how many attend this great event yet don't support it by joining as a member.  We're looking into trying to change that in a positive way.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters is much more than just the rendezvous though, and we also want to work on increasing awareness of the group in other parts of the country.  You certainly don't need to attend the rendezvous in order to become a member, and we will definately be working on promoting membership to people throughout the country.

Your comments and suggestions are sure apprecited, either here or by PM if you prefer.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Whip,
I don't mean to sound like a selfish type, but what is in it for someone that lives in Western Washington State and currently couldn't attend a Compton event, even if he was a member.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Hey as long as they dont support high fences and crossbows im all for them   :) . What do they do are just a club of trad hunters kinda like tradgang, or are they something more, btw how old do you have to be to join and what do you have to do to join. Thanks

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I am a member because they stand for what I believe in.a stick and a string hunting.Have never been to the yearly gathering but am going to try next year.Also feel like I have something in common with the other members.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Let me explain, I am a member of the Traditional Bowhunters of Washington (or at least I should be), I just wasn't sure if Compton was something different then that or another local organization.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Great Organization that stands for everything we are about in our Traditional sport. Compton spends majority of it's money outfitting youngsters with archery equipment. Great club and everyone should belong. I've been a member for 7 yrs now.
hunt it

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Here's the best reason I can think of - there the only true bowhunting organization out there.  In fact I'd call them the only one.

Maybe Compton needs another camping shooting weekend some where in the west.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I would like to attend the Compton event, but even if I can't, I am a member. They believe how I believe traditional archery should be. The newsletter/magazine is worth the price of admission.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
what exactly is the price of admission?

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowmania:
Here's the best reason I can think of - there the only true bowhunting organization out there.  In fact I'd call them the only one.

Maybe Compton needs another camping shooting weekend some where in the west.

Bowmania
I agree 100%
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Been a member for 5 years now.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Charter Member / Life Member

It stands for what I believe in about Archery/Bowhunting and Ethics, Traditional Values.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I joined about 3 years ago. I read up on the organization and decided they stood for the same values as me. Seemed like a no brainer. I attended the rendezvous two years ago with 3 of my buddies. It was a pretty long ride from where we live in Maryland. I really enjoyed it despite the nasty storm that blew down the vendors tent. The next day you could see what this group was made of as no on really complained but pitched in to get things back and rolling as best they could.

Thanks, Joe, for your service to the organization. I hope I can make another rendezvous again some day soon.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Memeber...yes,    :thumbsup:   why..... because it's a good thing!   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I am a member 5 years. They are looking out for Traditional Archery and helping the youngsters!!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
New member this year, don't know why I waited so long.  Compton supports and promotes ethical hunting with a simple stick and string and passing it on to the next generations.  "Technology creep" is everywhere.  The idea that all "bowhunters" should band together as one went out the window for me when crossguns were accepted in former archery only seasons.  Time to draw the line and Comptons seems to agree with that thinking.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
No I am not... why? I don't know why... I guess i haven't had much exposure to them... I had looked at the PBS... Another good organization.

But in the end... I hunt how I hunt and for the reasons I hunt... I haven't hunted whitetails with a gun for over 4 years... However, if the feeling hits me, I'll go to the safe uncase a pistol or take out my old mauser and go hunting... I know for one PBS is one that doesn't allow that of its membership. I am free to do so if I so choose.

I love trad archery, however, I hunt how I do, because I enjoy to. I don't look down on someone who uses a firearm, a mechanical arrow launching device (whether it be a crossbow or compound.) As long as they hunt legally and with a modicum of ethics. I am no better and no worse than any other hunter out there. I am responsible to myself, the game, the hunting community, and the community for my actions in the field. Because I use trad equipment does not make me special.

I think that most folks who hunt trad do so because they want a greater challenge. That the thrill of the hunt has became more important than filling a tag or winning the local big buck contest.

I do not know anyone (to my knowledge) who is a member of comptons who has exhibited this attitude. I just focus on myself and how I hunt. Maybe it is the Libertarian in me. I would enjoy the camaraderie of others and do so... I just don't feel compelled to be part of an organization.

I think most folks in trad archery are great. However, there are the trad police who feel that trad should be done the way they do, only. Metal risers, warf bows, carbon, even aluminum, plastic fletchings, carbon shafts, sights, ILF bows, release aids, and such are verboten!!!  I would prefer someone use whatever they need to to keep hunting even if it means a release aid and sight if it keeps them hunting in a manner that they enjoy...

I guess I shun the elitism that I have seen exhibited by some in the trad community, that I feel that I should not be part of any organization.

I see hunting as the endangered sport. I just choose to hunt how I do because of the enjoyment. I have a goal of a primitive season. But when I do so, it will be for myself, I will still be a hunter and not any different from a hunter who carrys his Weatherby rifle into the woods...

I hope I could help explain, because I see enough judgement and criticism amongst trad hunters that I in no way want to be part of an organization that would condemn another ethical hunter much less another trad hunter....

As in most things in life, we the people can be our own worst enemy
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Whip- Actually, I've been to their site and agree with the mission statement, the about us tab, they put forth. I can only say that the reason for not joining by now- shear laziness. It's a problem I have and am trying to cure. I have had this problem my whole life, so far, but still working on it. I will try to rectify this situation by the end of the week. Thank you for posting this, as it will help me remember. I probably not be able to attend their Yearly Rendezvous, but membership is support and that is what these organizations need.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I have been shooting trad for almost 25 years and really do it simply because of the romance and ease of it.  I grew up in Northern MI. around Grayling, so there are "roots" that mean a lot.  I also really love to hunt. I am not sure it is about "challenge" to me (good grief- setting up a compound and maintaining it seems like a nightmare to me!) I attended the Compton event last summer and have many many friends and vendor/bowyer friends part of it.  

I agree with Slasher on two points:  1) I am first a conservationist and hunter.  Legal weapon is not much an issue to me. We can promote trad without being exclusive in our own methods. 2) Not that I am aware of Comptons eliciting an "elitist" attitude, but this does show up some times in the trad world (the archery world in general as well). In Comptons case- the only question mark I have had was why the record book "decided" that a deer taken with a certain methodology was "more" of a trophy than another.  I applaud the idea of a record book for recurve/longbows- but why ground versus tree, etc. etc. .  Who determines that?  Sounds a little like trad-police to me.  This did keep me from joining and submitting a number of animals.

I have been thinking about joining though. Is it a good investment of my $$.  Not sure yet.  Good reminder though. Thanks for asking. I am still watching. . .      

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I'm very happy to see a bunch of you already know all about Compton and what it stands for as an organization.  And glad to see many members respond so possitively.

As I suspected, there might be some confusion with some on just what Compton is all about.  What has always impressed me about this group is the attitude that the best way to promote traditional archery and bowhunting is simply to share it with others.  

We have no agenda to knock down others - only to try to demonstrate  what a joy the traditional style can bring. The best way to promote our sport is not to criticize another persons choice of gear, but rather to show him or her ours, and give them a chance to try for themselves.

As has been mentioned, Compton devotes funds specifically to youth programs both at the rendezvous in Berrien Springs, and also through financial assistance to a variety of groups around the country.  We have purchased and donated hundreds of bows, arrows, arm guards, tabs, etc. for a wide variety of different groups.  

Certainly it would be great if every Compton member were able to attend a rendezvous once in awhile, but of course that is not possible for everyone.  One of the thing we hope to get accomplished is to expand the reach of Compton beyond the June event.  

There are ideas afloat and plans being made to attempt to partner with other groups in various parts of the country.  This is still in the early planning stages, and I don't know exactly what direction it will end up taking, but we do recognize the need and desire to have more events and make attendance at one of them a possiblity for many more people.  The more members we have, the more viable ideas like that become.
Stay tuned for more details on that one....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©