3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
This has been a very informative post for me, and once more the members of TradGang kept it civil, which made it keep my interest.

I'm not a member simply for the reason that I don't know much about it, and never took the time to look into it.

I've been tooling around with joining a Trad org for awhile now, and this post is giving me a little more in site on Compton's.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Tradlifer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Whip, this is my first interaction on Tradgang or any other forum for that matter. This has been extremely informative. If you look at the big picture there is no denying the progress that has been made with Compton over a short 11 years. Everything that is worth while takes hard work dedication and just like bowhunting, patience. We need to insure everyone that expansion to the rest of the country is on the top of our priority list. We need their help to make it happen. Great discussion.  Dave Jarvis

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Welcome to Trad Gang Dave.  Pull up a stump - I think you might like it around here!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
I am thinking about joining but I have been for several years.  I do support a few national organizations and a few state.  I think a good example is the National Wild Turkey Federation which I support some by supporting my local and state chapter.  I think it would be great if I could support a local/state chapter with most of the money staying local to support the education and growth of traditional archery and a small piece go to support the world of archery.  Is that what Compton wants to do, I am not sure.  Is there a way to bring most of the local/state traditiaonl archery groups together, sure if they can see the reason why.

Offline Tradlifer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Uglyjake, that is hillarious, I have shot alot of those! Most of us support alot of different organizations that support what we believe in, whether it be to support wildlife conservation or hunting of all kinds. The great thing about Compton is it is a organization dedicated to protected and preserving traditional bowhunting, not only nation wide but world wide. Compton is made up with members of all 50 states, every province of Canada, France Eangland,Ireland and Germany. One of the greatest things about Compton is their dedication to introducing traditional archery to the youth. Their willingness to donate equipment and funding to traditional programs anywhere is our main objective.  All that is needed is a request.  Anyone with such a organization in mind needs to contact a board member.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
Uglyjake, your question about forming chapters is a good one.  Something like that might very well be the way to grow the organization and really spread our wings.  

At the next board meeting a committee will be presenting a proposal of an idea that I had.  It is a little early to be talking about it yet here until we get details worked out and receive board approval, but involving local groups in various parts of the country is the goal.  Chapters might be a great way to approach that.

I will be keeping everyone here informed as we move forward.  One of the jobs I have been assigned is to help keep people on forums like this one informed about what we are doing and keep Compton Traditional Bowhunters on your mind.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Whip,

So far... goal accomplished! I really like the idea of local or state chapters. Keep working hard, you are doing a great thing!

Offline Bill Leeming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I'm a member and a member of our state organization. Add me to the list of those that think the rendezvous should be rotated around the country.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I think Compton Traditional Bowhunters is a good organization, that appeals to a lot of people, and serves it members. But it is not a national organization, because it does not address issues on a national level. It may not be in their best interest to try to become a national organization, unless they are willing to adopt a mission and goals, that appeals to a broad spectrum of the public. This would be a very difficult task, that would consume much of their time and resources.

There are a few national organizations that appeal to different groups like traditional bowhunters, hunting, and shooting public, in defense of liberty and the 2nd Amendment (NRA, GOA). There are organizations that have a strong regional appeal like the NWTF, and RMEF, and then there are state and local organizations.

If you look at what is happening in the economy, with jobs and inflation, there is a case being made that supports local, state and possibly regional events, and less for national organizations that duplicate those efforts.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hud:

If you look at what is happening in the economy, with jobs and inflation, there is a case being made that supports local, state and possibly regional events, and less for national organizations that duplicate those efforts.
Hud, I agree with your thinking but freedoms,  rights  & traditions are taken away at the national level, not so much at the state level.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Hud, not to argue a point, but I do think that Compton's stated mission is broad enough in scope to carry us well beyond a regional organization.  

From the Compton website:
".... the thrust of COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS  would be the promotion of traditional archery, it’s equipment and it’s ideals. This would be accomplished by educating, preserving, and advancing the public’s awareness of the American, Native American and European heritage of traditional archery, as well as by putting forth the positive aspects and enjoyment of  using traditional archery equipment, in the field, in games, and in bowhunting. Everyone...young and old alike, current shooters and non-shooters, both modern and conventional equipment users would be targeted."

Those stated goals know no boundaries.  We have accomplished a lot in the upper Midwest through the rendezvous, but in my mind at least it is time to spread our wings, and spread the word, in many other parts of the country, continent, and even the world.  

Others have mentioned the possibility of forming chapters, and who knows, maybe that is the way it will grow.  If so, it is not hard at all for me to imagine a chapter in Germany, or Italy, or
Australia, or..... anywhere bows can be legally shot!

Concepts like that sure aren't likely to happen overnight, or next year for that matter.  But I don't know why we would close the door to it ever happening.  

If you haven't noticed, I tend to dream big!      :D          :archer:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm not a member mostly because I though Compton's was more of a regional organization, not national.  Being from the west, I haven't seen any real interaction by Compton's with the states I hunt.  Besides giving away equipment, which is a great thing to do, what has the organization done to promote trad archery on a national level?  
Maybe one way to get more exposure would be to have an event in the West, keeping the big event in Michigan.  An event like Western States, which seems to struggle, could benefit from either a partnership or being taken over completely by Compton's.  Being able to join directly on the website would go a long ways as well, lets face it, people these days don't want to deal with snail mail.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Yes I am. Why? Because they promote archery to families and kids. What a great gift to pass on.

Bill Wright
Aim Small

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
The rendezvous is my yearly vacation.  And yes, the fact it's on Father's Day sometimes creates some stress when the vacation schedule is being passed around at work.  But it's my annual trip (well, 6 of the last 8 yrs) despite it being 12 hours from southwest MO.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
No, but I should be and I have no reason to justify not being a member. Guess I should step up and do it.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
No, but I have thought seriously about it. I have supported my local clubs.

Looking at all of our volunteer organizations, a major problem, that has already been stated but needs to be emphasized, is that very few people want to volunteer anymore. I see that everywhere.

The, "What's in it for me?" syndrome is  pandemic. I see the Lions, the Eagles, the VFW, the Junior Womens League, the PTA, etc., all in my rural town of Montana, often struggling to find anyone willing to serve to benefit their community.

I am "NOT" pointing fingers, as I value my time as much as anyone. It just makes it very tough to run an organization without a very dedicated group willing to sacrifice, time, energy and money.

I like the idea of Comptons, over PBS, that I can still gun hunt and be a member. My kids gun hunt and I still love to go with them, though my own hunting is 95% bow only.

I've talked myself into joining Compton. I will never make it to Michigan, but a couple of bucks can't hurt, and it least it is one more person on a list that supports traditional archery.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Does Comptons have bylaws?  Couldn't find them on the website.  How about a mission statement?  Specific goals?  I really haven't thought about Compton's as an org to join in a long time.  I just don't know much about it other than some threads about the Rendezvous.  I can't really get to the Rendezvous because it's always the weekend after Cloverdale.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Great group...! Traditional bowhunting support and promotion at its best. If you love traditional bowhunting you should be a member. I am still impressed by the Archive concept with Comptons. I joined in 2006 (many years late BTW)after I realized what Comptons was all about.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I am not a member...yet. I have been thinking about attending this years event. I belong to Michigan Traditional Bowhunters, MUCC and a local Conservation club. My local Conservation Club is affiliated with Michigan United Conservation Clubs so there is one annual fee. I like the idea of state Trad clubs being affiliated with Compton. I have other hobbies and use to support their clubs, but it seemed like every time the mail came there was a bill for dues. When the economy took a crap in 2009 I had to let some of the memberships go. I had to ask myself"What am I getting out of this". Compton looks like a great group and I will probably join.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
John, not sure if this meets the definition of "Mission Statement", but as I posted above, copied from the Compton website,

'....the thrust of COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS would be the promotion of traditional archery, it’s equipment and it’s ideals. This would be accomplished by educating, preserving, and advancing the public’s awareness of the American, Native American and European heritage of traditional archery, as well as by putting forth the positive aspects and enjoyment of using traditional archery equipment, in the field, in games, and in bowhunting. Everyone...young and old alike, current shooters and non-shooters, both modern and conventional equipment users would be targeted."

It really is so much more than just a rendezvous in June in Michigan.  But that is the perception we need to work harder to dispell.  The rendezvous is a wonderful event, and we sure want that to continue, but there really is so much more that needs to be done.  We are trying to make a commitment to get that word out and let people know what Compton is all about.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©