3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I loved the event but just cant do it all the time. The time of year is really tough. It hits dead on vacation times and it's hard to go. Would probably attend more if it was earlier(April/May). Just a thought.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Gosh, this is pretty disappointing.  I never figured so many join an organization for what they can "get".  I am a life member of Compton because they are THE  national voice of the traditional bowhunter.  They promote traditional archery.  They promote traditioal archery with kids.  As one man, I cannot do much, but add my voice and values to thousands more with similar values and much can be done.

I enjoy the rendezvous.  I enjoy the magazine.  I am proud we have a record book to show mature animals can be taken with a simple stick and string.  I would be a member if all these were non existant.  It is nice to be part of a group of folks that share common values;  that is why I am a member of the Professional Bowhunters Society as well.

I have given my hard earned money to many conservation organizations; DU, RMEF, FNAWS, Pheasants Forever, etc.  I did it to help the cause, not to get something out of it.

It is better to give than to receive...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Steve O.....well said!   :clapper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I like your answer Steve  :thumbsup:  
I think you nailed it.
I have been a member for 5 or 6 years
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Well said Steve O     :clapper:    I would like to say more on that, but I will keep my mouth shut and just say well said Steve !

I went to the Compton rendezvous last year for the first time, I was a first time member before I left for the weekend !  I was blown away with the first class people there !  Just like this forum is run by first class people (and it was a no brainer to contribute to the forum) the same applies to Comptons.

I am not the type to ask what's in it for me, I see what they do for others and I want to be part of that spirit. I want to be a giver, not a taker, one good thing God has tout me with age.

I guess I just answered what's in it for me ! Being part of an old fashioned, true hunters (not shooters) traditional spirit (a giving spirit)
Hard to put it in words ? But if you have to ask Whats in it for me, you do not have the Compton spirit anyways. You would not help someone in need because "hey what's in it for me !"
That's not the Compton spirit.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Well said Steve O.   :clapper:   A lot of us feel the same way but could not come up with the words. I have been to every rendezvous & been through  every storm. I am a life member.
Bob T.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Trying to keep it in a positive light, I think it is a fair question.  But what is in it for me, and hopefully a bunch of other good spirited people, is simply the chance to help share and promote the sport that we all love so much.  

Some of us take a much more active role in that than others.  But you can all help simply by becoming a member, and let the organization do the promoting for you.  

Many people love shooting traditional gear, but they may not know anyone personally to take under their wing and help show them the ropes. They might not know how to go about promoting traditional archery.  They just know that they enjoy it themselves.  

Supporting Compton with a membership is a simple way to give a little something back to the sport that gives so much enjoyment to us.  Help us get the word out.  Share the feelings that we get watching the flight of the arrow.  Help to preserve a simplier, and we think better, way to enjoy bowhunting.  

I don't have any grandchildren of my own, but I sure would like to know that traditional archery will be alive and well for many generations to come.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Yep I'm a Charter Member ... I signed up in Glenn St Charles shop many years back when the organization was just getting a start.

Why ... because it's all about Traditional Archery and we need to keep the Tradition alive ! It's been fun and satisfying to watch Compton grow and as they have grown so has Traditional archery.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Whip- A thought that has been ruminating here for a while. . . if I also use a gun, compound, or a cross bow- can I be a member of Compton's?

Thanks
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
I'll try and do this as best I can without ruffling feathers....

I am not a member of Compton.   Not because I don't agree with it's mission, but as a national organization it seems to me to fall a bit short.   Many of my friends are members, to be sure, and I have no problems with that.   And I think as enthusiastic trad bowhunters, we all have the same or similar goals to promote what we love.    

It's not that I'm not a joiner....I certainly am.    I guess I've been waiting to see what more they will do.   Outfitting kids with trad gear is great....but we do that here already and have done it for as long as I can remember.   And the record book is a "novel" and great idea, and promotes "records" with a much "truer" light source....but I'm not really a record book guy either.   So aside from that, and a really great gathering...I'm told....what next?

I was a member of ATHA, because they seemed to have a more pro-active agenda....that seemed important to me.   I understand getting good volunteer help these days is tough, especially in such a pro-active type way, though, and perhaps their fate was pre-determined by such, I don't know.  

I'm a life member of both my state orgs....the big "umbrella" one which includes all bowhunters, and our Trad one as well.   In fact I've served two terms each as president of each....and a whole lot more on the board of the "big one".    I taught bow ed in our state as a volunteer NBEF instructor for 18 years.   I started up our local club here.    I am a regular member of PBS.   I'm also a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.....so joining is not a problem for me.  

I actively speak and entertain at bowhunting functions across the country, promoting of all things "traditional bowhunting".   For free.  

I've been privy to some of the arguments and talk around at the time of the "formation" of at first the two national trad orgs....which is now just the one....Compton.  

I guess after all that I thought perhaps there would be more.   More than just giving away bows to kids....a worthy cause, to be sure....but we do that all across this country on a local and state basis already, and have done it for far longer than Comptons has been in existence.   Do we really need a national org for that?  

As members, are we asked or tasked to do anything other than that?   It's about as easy as membership requirements get....is that what were looking to do with Comptons?   Is it just a great gathering and family get-together?  

To be honest, I would have joined several times, had it been easier on their website....(there's a easy fix, Whip!) via paypal.   I just did'nt take it to the print and mail with a check step.  

It's not just Comptons.  I have similar struggles with PBS and all the money it raises at times....for what?   And I love that organization.   At least they put out a great newsletter and attempt to school some of our "shining examples" in our youth leadership.   And they are a great resource for state org leaders....and they just claim to be fraternal, but they do much more.  

Comptons could do more.   In the beginning, with the words of Glenn St. Charles when he talked about formation of a national organization, many of us finally thought we'd get something to stand up for traditional bowhunting, and I'm sorry, but sometimes that means ruffling feathers with other "hunters" who compete with true, yes I said true and it does'nt make me an elitist, bowhunters who worked hard to lobby for their seasons, and ever more have to fight for them against "our brother" hunters.   Technology "creep", is a result of silence from us.   It went on for far too long.  

I'm not saying we have to go out an battle all the time....the states can do that just fine, but leaders, true leaders....need to stand up from time to time and make a few waves, not just do the easy thing....like giving away free bowhunting gear to kids.    That's great...but not enough for me to join.   I do that all the time on my own.  

Here's some ideas....lets see some pro-trad ads run in the big bowhunting publications (not TBM or Primitive Archer, that's preaching to the choir)...the ones that promote the gizmos.  Do it with a challenging tone...you know what I mean.

Form a committee to help state Trad orgs in solving issues they may have in their locales....a committee of guys that know a thing or two about fighting the good fight and can help with their braistorming.  

Enlist State trad orgs in a affiliate type program, to promote and defend what opportunities we now have against "tech-creep" as someone so aptly named it.  

I've been typing long enough, but you get my jist.    Also, were there a Compton event out west, I would most likely join as well.   Change comes best from within....I'm a firm believer in that.   Maybe I will join after all.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
Been a member for 3 years now. Would really like to make it to the Rendezvous sometime soon !!!!     :pray:  

Bill

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Very well said Mark. I agree with you 100%. I've been a member almost from the beginning, ATHA as well before they went belly up. I didn't join expecting much of anything from either group. Here in VT, we're kind of isolated from the trad community and I like to stay in touch.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
There is strength in numbers.

The Rendezvous is awesome(only been there once)but it`s the PEOPLE that I want my name included with.

While I was at my first rendezvous in 2010, I met alot of people. Some I spoke with long enough to include the question of whether or not they were Comptons members...I was surprised at the number of attendees who were NOT members.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I'm not much of a "joiner."  But, I did sign up for Compton.  

I look at Compton as what Pope & Young started out as.  Nothing against Pope & Young, but one needs a different scoring system because the compound bows are distinctly different than the traditional archery equipment.

I hope Compton scoring turns out through the years to have the same meaning as Pope & Young, as in "Hey, John's deer scored 145 Pope & Young."

That said, there are some problems.  What is "traditional?"  I happen to be old enough to have read that my equipment was completely "modern" as apposed to, say, Howard Hill who shot "traditional"  because my recurve was backed with glass.

And, that doesn't enen get into arrows.  I wrote Compton before joining and told them I wasn't "traditional" because of the arrows I shot.  They assured me I was okay.

So, if one cannot define it easily, one has to come up with something else.  For me, it is the friendly face of bowhunting.  It is the inviting words of Asbell and the smile of Fred Bear, who would certainly have been a member.

In the end, it will succeed if there are events, and a positive face.

By way of contrast, I looked at Professional Bowhunters and was turned off by their focus on being "against" things instead of "for" things - specifically their campaign to stop crossbows.  I'm not interested in proving I'm better than someone else who decides to live his life differently than I.  And, it appeared to me that Compton has avoided that trap.

Bob
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Whip- A thought that has been ruminating here for a while. . . if I also use a gun, compound, or a cross bow- can I be a member of Compton's?

Thanks
Dan
Abasolutely Dan, we'd be glad to have you.  As I mentioned, Compton is more about promoting the allure of traditional archery.  We don't want to have crossbows included our archery seasons, but that is another discussion.  

Compton's focus is on the promotion of the use of traditional gear.  Again, it is the belief that we can be more productive in accomplishing that by showing our way of life in a positive way.

Mark, you make some excellent points, and I can tell you that each and every one of them was a major topic of discussion at the recent board meeting.  We are aware of many of the things that need to be done.  I'm new on the board of course, but I know that we have made commitments to address many of the items that you mentioned.  

As you observed, it is an organization of strictly volunteers, and it may take some time.  But I have no doubt we will get it done.  

In my opinion, we experienced good growth during the earlier years, but membership has leveled out.  It is time to take the group to the next level and work at becoming truly a national organization.  As with any group, money to do more things is always an issue.  And that is an area that attracting new members can help with.  The more members we have the more we will be able to do, both in terms of money and in terms of people who may step forward to help with what needs to be done.

This has been a great discussion, and I really appreciate all of the comments.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
My reason for not joining Compton is because I live in Virginia & not only can I not afford to travel all the time to the big events like the Rendezvous I also can only afford to join but so much.

I'm a member of the Virginia Bowhunters Association & with my other obligations to archery & hunt club, I can not afford to keep membership to other associations at this time.

My thoughts are always to support the local efforts before going national because the local groups do more for the local areas than the national groups like Comptons.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I can certainly understand where you are at Eugene.  We all have to make choices with the funds we have available, and the local organizations rightly come first.  
We will be there whenever you might be ready.

I have been asked where to go to join.  Right now the only option is to print and mail in the application form with payment.  (You can list a credit card # on the form if you prefer)
Here is the link.
 http://www.comptontraditional.com/read.cfm?id=7
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I met Marv Cochran at Denton Hill last year.  And his wife.  They were so nice I had to join.  Glad I did.  The magazine is small, but worth it.  I will re-up in July again.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Life member for the past couple of years. Have only been able to attend one of the gatherings but will try to make it htis year again.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks Whip.  I agree wholeheartedly.  (Crossbows too- I do no think they belong in an archery season!)  That answer takes Comptons up a bunch of notches in my book.  I want to promote trad, but not in exclusion/elitism to other things.  I really like the positive approach.

Thanks for the thread. It has been helpful to me.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©